UA Apollo twin with SONAR?

Author
guitz
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 232
2017/09/01 03:44:14 (permalink)

UA Apollo twin with SONAR?

So Universal Audio tests several DAW software for compatibility in Windows but SONAR isn't one of them. I wonder why? 

Also, anyone using the UA Apollo Twin MK II successfully with SPLAT? I  just got one, but may return it, as apparently you have to have a current enough MOBO that supports Thunderbolt, and if you want the latest incarnation of Thunderbolt, v. 3 an adaptor cable to boot, if I understand that right. Shoulda researched more, but the awesomeness of the plug-ins and quality of sound had me buy before maybe I should have, as my system is about 6 years old with no onboard Thunderbolt support as far as I know, and I'm unsure if an add-on card would even work (windows 10 pro 64 bit, ASUS P7P55D LE MOBO, Intel i5 quad core @ 2.66ghz, 16 gig DDR3 memory, SSD main drive, SATA 2nd drive). It's such a drag trying to keep re-purchasing things to keep this thing compatible with that thing, etc. Looking briefly into Thunderbolt ready MOBO's after the UA purchase , then I find they all take only DDR4 memory, another upgrade requiring more $$, and needless to say, my i5 may or may not even fit the newer , thunderbolt capable MOBO's CPU socket, so potentially would need new cpu, and who knows if the ever changing power supply specs for my power supply would match the connector  for the new MOBO! lol.... I have USB ports but not the type C that the UA Twin takes and probably only max at USB 2.0. Don't really feel the need to upgrade since it's never been a speed issue in SONAR. That leaves two choices, new pc/components or new interface...Thoughts?
post edited by guitz - 2017/09/01 06:38:26

13 Replies Related Threads

Joe_A
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 458
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 17:12:29 (permalink)
    New computer!😃😃😃

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
    Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 17:23:25 (permalink)
    There are problems with the Apollo on PC - UA uses thunderbolt for everything but the twin, I believe.  So it ain't SONARs fault, but trying to use the Apollo on a PC.  either return the Apollo or get a mac and learn a new DAW or get someone to build you an appropriate PC - maybe.  

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 17:24:28 (permalink)
    Lynx?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 17:39:53 (permalink)
    There's an Apollo twin usb 3. You need usb3. If you have usb 3.0 maybe they will swap it? This is much easier than replacing a mobo. I am considering the usb 3 option since I have that connection on my mobo. 

EDIT- I see you don't have usb 3.0. You might still have an add in card option. 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 17:56:34 (permalink)
    I have the Firewire version of the Apollo 8 and it works like a hose.  You can get a TI firewire 800 card for like $40 or so. 

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 17:57:43 (permalink)

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 18:00:03 (permalink)
    BTW- it irks the crap out of me that the major manufacturers rarely support Sonar.  I used to use qbase and switched due to no tech support and countless issues with various incarnations of that DAW.  Sonar is more stable and does not appear to be missing features. 

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 18:09:29 (permalink)
    Why must the audio interface be an UAD?
    You can work with the awesome UAD-Plugins for example via extern 2-Satellite Quad (over firwewire which works very well with SONAR). And then use any other audiointerface like RME.
    I don't believe that an UAD audiointerface ist better than a standard industrie audiointerface from RME.
    We work with a 2-Satellite Quad for over 2 years and its very very stable. Never had a problem (Windows 10 x64)

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    guitz
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/01 19:54:31 (permalink)
    I have the Apollo Twin MkII, which UA users tell me must have a Thunderbolt compatible MOBO....I may send it back and try the RME Babyface since that should be OK with USB 2.0 and my current system...I hope.

The really killer part of the Apollo Twin of course, is those mind numbingly famous and supposedly awesome realtime FX on your inputs that don't ding your pc's CPU since all the processing is down there.

One day, maybe DAW's will be intelligent enough to where they configure themselves for any hardware interfaces to the point that no secondary  software for the interface itself will be necessary. It will all be handled in the DAW.
    post edited by guitz - 2017/09/03 03:51:05
    stxx
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/05 15:31:54 (permalink)
    THE USB VERSION WORKS GREAT!  PC IMPLEMENTATIONS OF THUNDERBOPLT WORK  BUT ONLY IF THE MOTHERBOARD CAME WITH IT.  THATS MY UNDERSTANDING.   THE FIREWIRE AREN"T MADE ANYMORE BUT I USE 2 SATELLITES AS WELL A FW AND THEY WORK GREAT ALSO USING A FW 800 ADAPTER.   THERE IS NO COMPARING THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE UAD 2 PLUGINS WITH OR WITHOUT UNISON THAT U ONLY GET WITH APPOLO. ITS A HUGE ADVANTAGE AT TIMES AND A LARGE PART OF UADS TECHNOLOGY.  I HAVE RME AS MY PRIMARY INTERFACE BUT USE THE USB TWIN FOR OVERDUBS ETC SO I CAN GET THE BENEFITS OF UNISON

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
    https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
    Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/05 17:52:41 (permalink)
    Apollo Twin USB owner here, Win 10 Sonar Platinum works seamlessly and great.The PC, a Dell XPS came with USB3.
    It is also playing very well with a Quad Satellite FW and a Solo PCI card

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/05 18:11:18 (permalink)
    TBH I don't think I've ever seen a PC interface that WOULDN'T work with Sonar if it works with other daws. They all should, and if there are problems, you can be pretty sure other daws are having the same or similar issues with that hardware. The only reported interface problems are across the board. 

Aside from the FW fiasco that happened awhile back, which I've been immune to BTW because I chose my cards wisely, there have only been a few issues with companies like Alesis and similar who put out a few less than stellar interfaces/drivers out there. Even in those cases many were able to make them work regardless with alternate drivers and work arounds. No one really wants to go that route though. 

We may be seeing some similar complications with Thunderbolt meshing well with PC. Having said that, there are many happy users of those setups too.  If you get it right, there usually aren't issues.

I'm glad to hear the usb twin is working well. It is a bit more costly, but worth it if you only track a few at a time plus you get all of the extra access to their great plug ins. People have moved from Focustrite to Apollo and that's saying something. 

I'm one of those guys that needs a major short circuit to probably trade up soon, but I've been watching these and they really caught my attention. When the day comes, Apollo will get a serious look.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: UA Apollo twin with SONAR? 2017/09/05 20:46:19 (permalink)
    guitz
    One day, maybe DAW's will be intelligent enough to where they configure themselves for any hardware interfaces to the point that no secondary  software for the interface itself will be necessary. It will all be handled in the DAW.

That is unfortunately not possible. Because The OS (Windows, OSX ...) needs drivers to communicate with the devices. Even discs, keyboard and mouse need a drive to communicate with the OS.
    The DAW has to speak with the OS - and then the driver from the OS communicates with the hardware.
    Otherwise every small device in your computer would crash Windows immediately at the smallest error. Therefor it is better the OS takes the control of the devices. And therefore you need drivers for the hardware.
    Also the BIOS of the computer needs a simple driver for the keyboard, that is pre-installed in the motherboard.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1