UA-25EX...no line inputs, no external preamp?

Author
jtnavia
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2009/08/02 00:20:16 (permalink)

UA-25EX...no line inputs, no external preamp?

I have the UA-25EX by Edirol, not Cakewalk but they're probably the same thing.  I noticed there are no line inputs on this device, and that's where an external preamp would normally be plugged into.  If I plug an external preamp into the two inputs of the UA-25EX, will the sound be colored compared to plugging it into a regular line input, even if the sensitivity was set to noon, the hi-z switch was turned off, and I used TRS cables instead of XLR?  Is so, is there a way to get an external preamp to plug into this device without getting a colored sound out of the UA-25EX?

6 Replies Related Threads

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:UA-25EX...no line inputs, no external preamp? 2009/08/02 21:14:46 (permalink)
    jtnavia

I have the UA-25EX by Edirol, not Cakewalk but they're probably the same thing.  I noticed there are no line inputs on this device, and that's where an external preamp would normally be plugged into.  If I plug an external preamp into the two inputs of the UA-25EX, will the sound be colored compared to plugging it into a regular line input, even if the sensitivity was set to noon, the hi-z switch was turned off, and I used TRS cables instead of XLR?  Is so, is there a way to get an external preamp to plug into this device without getting a colored sound out of the UA-25EX?

All preamps "color" sound. Some are more transparent than others. The whole point of a preamp is to color the sound either in volume, tube warmth, EQ, etc.. What ever you feed the the UA-25EX, it will pass it. XLR and TRS are the same in connections. Tip, Ring, Sleeve or Pin 1,2,3. XLR to TRS cables are common. The two inputs should handle the line outs on preamp just fine. 

Craig DuBuc
    jtnavia
    Re:UA-25EX...no line inputs, no external preamp? 2009/08/03 11:21:38 (permalink)
    I think I worded the question a little too complicated.  I know the external preamp will color the sound, as it's supposed to, but will the inputs on the UA-25EX additionally color sound as opposed to plugging the preamp into line inputs, which are not on the UA-25EX?  Like will the UA-25EX contribute to the sound of the external preamp or will it be transparent?  Sorry if this is complicated.
    time2go
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re:UA-25EX...no line inputs, no external preamp? 2009/08/06 05:24:21 (permalink)
    jtnavia

I noticed there are no line inputs on this device, and that's where an external preamp would normally be plugged into. 
    Actually there are line level inputs for the UA-25EX (if it is the same as the earlier UA-25 which I have - it certainly seems so from the spec).

The two inputs on the front are neutrik combijacks and only the XLR inputs go to the mic preamps. The standard jack input is at line level

From the Roland website

XLR type: -60 to -20 dBu
    1/4 inch TRS phone type: -36 to +4 dBu

Phil

jtnavia
    Re:UA-25EX...no line inputs, no external preamp? 2009/08/06 09:41:00 (permalink)
    Oh that's good.  What should I set the two knobs to in that case?  If I turn them both all the way up, will they be line level (+4dBu)?  Will I get noise coming from the UA-25EX if they are turned up all the way?
    time2go
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re:UA-25EX...no line inputs, no external preamp? 2009/08/07 07:40:52 (permalink)
    jtnavia

Oh that's good.  What should I set the two knobs to in that case?  If I turn them both all the way up, will they be line level (+4dBu)?  Will I get noise coming from the UA-25EX if they are turned up all the way?

You will usually get some self generated noise if you have the gain on any interface at maximum and I think that you are really asking whether the input gain would be unity (i.e. 0) if the knobs at at full (remember that +4dBu is actually a voltage so the actual input level received by the UA-25EX is set by whatever is connected to the input). I am sure that I had seen in the manual for the UA-25 that there is +6dB of gain when the knob is at maximum but I cannot comment for the UA-25EX.

My personal view is that you should set levels by ear and meter readings. There is quite a good description of why the whole concept of unity gain isn't as straightforward as it may appear at this link.

http://www.rane.com/note124.html

I love the last bit in the above link

Besides, the unity gain mark/detent is only a reference point. The whole reason manufacturers give you level controls, is to allow setting the gain you need for your system. If it were important for them to remain at unity, they would not be there. They are yours. You paid for them. Use them.”

Phil

tracy rhodes
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:UA-25EX...no line inputs, no external preamp? 2015/11/23 10:42:09 (permalink)
    i have suddenly lost my input and output as although the comp sees the cakewalk it now says no input ect....any ideas?
    cheers
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1