UAD 2 plugins

Author
windsurfer25x
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2010/07/01 11:29:25 (permalink)

UAD 2 plugins

Well, I recently took advantage of the UAD 2 solo/laptop offer and got the Fairchild and Helios plugins as well for free.

Last night I bought the EMT 140 plate (I a/b'd against IK's CSR plate and liked the EMT way better!) 
I got the Neve 1073 eq, the 33609 compressor, 4k buss compressor, and the pultec pro...

I demo'd the EMT 140, 1073, 33609 and 4k buss compressor... and was very impressed with all of them, out of the plugins I have with Sonar 8.5PE, T-Racks 3 Deluxe, everything by Izotope... nothing i have sounded like the UAD stuff... I didn't demo the pultec pro yet but it was highly acclaimed online and basically that and the fairchild would replace T-racks 3 for me... which I'm now selling on KVR, 

Has anyone tried comparing Ozone 4 to UAD's precision series mastering plugins? I would think they are very similar... I was planning on keeping Ozone 4 (because I really do like it) and basically pushing the precision series mastering plugins out of my field of view of temptation.

I was wondering what other people's experiences are with UAD-2, any other highly recommended plugins? 
I doubt I will ever be able to afford oodles of high end outboard gear, so these plugins would make a lot of sense for me. 

To me the outboard gear worth investing in would be mics and pre's... and converters... and keep the rest ITB,

Anyways... I was wondering what peoples experiences are with other UAD2 plugins?
Thanks

Aaron

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

6 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:UAD 2 plugins 2010/07/01 11:57:15 (permalink)

Your thinking sounds sensible and well worked out to me and you've got a lot of good ground covered with your initial set of plug-ins.

Being as you have the Solo card and are currently happy with Ozone I'd work with what you have presently on a few projects and see whether you end up regularly maxing out the card without the additional plugs, not that it would matter if you end up making a separate mastering project from your main project to use the Precision mastering plugs on.

But now you are on the UAD train temptation will always be staring you in the face until you've got them all...

Of the Precision series I purchased and use the bus compressor regularly and I love it, but it's not part of the mastering bundle.

btw on the Reverb front the bundled Realverb Pro is no slouch either and has some nice features as have all the default bundled plugs so don't overlook those, there's a lot there right out of the box.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/01 12:02:54

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:UAD 2 plugins 2010/07/01 12:21:40 (permalink)
    The problem with UAD is almost everything is really, really good. But if you wait for good sales/coupons, over time you can accumulate a nice arsenal.

I like to use it for color rather than "precision", so I don't have any of the precision stuff (aside from the multi-band, which doesn't get used much).

But, the compressors are all good and all have different flavors.

The Roland and Cooper delays are also good and different from "generic" delays. And I also love the Dimension D and Moog.

And I think Fatso Sr. is really, really cool.

And there's always more coming down the pipeline...
    craigfowler
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 356
    Re:UAD 2 plugins 2010/07/01 13:01:30 (permalink)
    You have far more of their plugins than I do, but I love the EMT250 (it *is* worth having as well as the 140), the VCA as a character compressor (which in my hands is driven too hard most of the time) and the Harrison EQ, which does especially nice things when used on the same track as Pultec somehow.

The ones I have are so good that I don't even know if there are others I'll buy for a long time - I'd like the LA2 and Cambridge because I went for color ahead of the 'just getting the job done' type plugins.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:UAD 2 plugins 2010/07/01 14:04:34 (permalink)
    The UAD plug-ins are remarkable. I've had more than a couple of flashbacks while demo-ing new plug-ins<G>!

I was never a T-racks fan, so my opinion may not match your experience... but I'd keep Ozone. I have the cut-down versions that came with Sound Forge, and I am still trying to save a couple of bucks to buy Ozone (if you decide to ditch it let me know!!!)

Back during the holiday season I took some time to inventory my plug-ins to see what I could uninstall. Ultimately I decided that I wouldn't even question the value of anything from UAD, PSP, Voxengo, Kjaerhus, Waves, Soundtoys, or Sonitus. And that's still a lot of stuff. I suspect that when I switch to X64 I'll get rid of some more.

The really funny part, for me, was that I started out ready to remove Sonitus, DSPFX, Timeworks, and some others, but as I played around with them for a bit I discovered that each one had some things it could do. Even the old Cakewalk FX... I kept SoundStage<G>!

Once you use them it is difficult to let go, and for something like Ozone, well, I'd keep it.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    Re:UAD 2 plugins 2010/07/01 16:28:54 (permalink)
    I love the EMT 250 and it is very different from the 140.

I prefer the UAD Precision Limiter to Ozone's limiter, but I don't know if that would be a priority.

The LA2A is a wonderful smooth compressor if that's something you need. The LA3A is a bit more aggressive, but still somewhat smooth.

Almost every UAD plug I've tried sounds good, though not all of it is necessary for my personal use.
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:UAD 2 plugins 2010/07/01 19:59:45 (permalink)
    Whatever you do...DO NOT demo the Manley Massive Passive!  If you do just go on a get your credit card out and start cryin.  

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1