UAD Platform question

Author
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
2018/03/07 01:20:26 (permalink)

UAD Platform question

Holla amigos , for you UAD heads i have several questions :

1) what is the best time to buy UAD cards ? UAd Plugins ?

2) Can i use a friends vouchers (from its account ?) 

3) How do you find the system ? stable ? well maintained for windows ? Support ? 

4) anybody tried Thunderbolt to usb C or usb 3 to usb C adapter with success ? if so , witch model/brand ?

5) If possible to go back in time , would you have done the same choice or been going native instead ?

Thks

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

9 Replies Related Threads

Nino Vargas
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/07 11:50:16 (permalink)
    Zoheir et son business ... je croyais que uad pour toi c’était de la merde  , a+ business guy 

"Don’t explain. 
    Your friends do not need it, and your enemies will not believe you".

https://soundcloud.com/nfkmusic
    Nino Vargas
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/07 12:04:30 (permalink)
    Bisous aux préfères

"Don’t explain. 

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/08 02:50:13 (permalink)
    Zo
    3) How do you find the system ? stable ? well maintained for windows ? Support ? 
    4) anybody tried Thunderbolt to usb C or usb 3 to usb C adapter with success ? if so , witch model/brand ?
    5) If possible to go back in time , would you have done the same choice or been going native instead ?

1) The best time to buy a UAD card is when you find a used one for sale that is much cheaper than a new one. As for plugins, they have offers fairly frequently.
    2) I don't know, but I doubt whether you can use other users' vouchers.
    3) It's been stable for me.
    4) n/a
    5) Yes.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/08 22:58:46 (permalink)

UA does offer promotions, there doesn't seem to be any set schedule. Right now you can get a satellite free if you buy and Apollo 8, 8p or 16.

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure they are tied to the user and/or system.

I've had a UAD card since they were distributed by Mackie, I can recall only one occasion when the card caused problems, I'm pretty sure it was after a firmware update, but I don't recall the details, and it was quickly resolved. So stability is not an issue.

Well enough maintained for Windows. And most of my gripes on that front have more to do with MS than UA.

Support is outstanding, although I haven't had a tech support issue in years. When I first purchased my UAD2 card I had some minor struggles getting my computer to recognize it. Turned out to be an arcane issue with my motherboard, and changing slots solved it. They were able to talk me through it on the phone, and even checked in a few days later, via email, to make sure it was still working.

The user community is also remarkable. Very knowledgeable, very helpful, and you'll run into names you may have seen on record jackets, but they'll never tell you<G>!

I'm stuck at the moment, my computer does not support TB, so for me to make the leap requires a new computer and a new Apollo, and I just can't justify the cost. I'll get there, but not right now.

Absolutely. There are plugins that simply do not exist anywhere else (Ocean Way Studios, Cooper Time Cube), there are plugins that exist elsewhere, but it is nice to be able to off-load the processing when I need to (Softube, Brainworx), and then there are the plugins that are just spot on accurate representations of what I think gear should sound like, like their own 1176, or the dBx 160, or the tape delays.

TL;DR - for emulations I think the UA plugins are, in general, as good as it gets. I do wish they'd stretch a little bit more, but they are my go to tools for hardware emulation. Others can come close, sometimes really close, but I use UA most of the time because it takes some of the workload off my CPU. And the cards act as a dongle of sorts, so there is less fear that they'll be hit by piracy.

They are not cheap, but I think it is worth it.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Zo
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/08 23:08:45 (permalink)
    Thks guyz for you valuables answers .....

Softube Summit EQ
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/09 02:06:17 (permalink)
    wst3
    ...The user community is also remarkable. Very knowledgeable, very...

I agree about the helpful community. However I hardly ever visit it as I have had very few problems. The UAD cards always install without any issues and the UAD plugins all work the way they are supposed to. I rarely have occasion to ask for help. UAD is something that I take for granted and don't think about much.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Zo
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/09 04:52:16 (permalink)
    Thks Kev , this is one thing i also investiging , more and more students of mine (and not only students) are kinda lost in the plugin market , some use warez and get lost in quantity , some are marketing victims , some just don't have the actual knowledge to really appreciate the differences bewteen stuff ...

So First ,  UAD as a platform is a really closed one ,i personnaly don't like that , but in fact it can be great in some aspect , if a student buy UAD cards or soundcard , he will have to buy UAD plugins simply because he will want to justify the investements , and this is the KEY in my work of validating this to them , basically they will be limited BUT limited to what i consider like one of the most solid , seriuous , pro , company around , their plugins are not the best / up to a lot of hype around , and the cpu usage is sometime ridicluous (SSL E is an exemple) BUT this will lock students in a SAFE and PRO area ... all their plugins sounds great / exellent .....

The second thing is about HW specially Laptops , the tendancy is going light and mnimal in term of ports and Storage , most of the time students sticks with prosumer stuff like MBP ....if i tell them to go Zbook , Precision or Thinkpads , they usually hate that stuff exept for few that are really tech heads ..and this is where UAD DSP come to place , instead of upgradng to less complete HW upagrading DSP and keepng the HW cool (specially macs) could be a longeterm solution.

Thks guyz for the feedbacks 

Softube Summit EQ
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Nino Vargas
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/15 15:27:57 (permalink)
    ]
    post edited by Nino Vargas - 2018/03/19 22:14:56

"Don’t explain. 

whattarush
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re: UAD Platform question 2018/03/22 16:31:41 (permalink)
    1. The best time to buy plugins is during their end of the year sale. They had a 12 days of Christmas Promotion that
        was insane last year. They have other great deals monthly as well. They also give you a few free plugins when you
        purchase the card of interface
    2. No you have to use your own voucher but they give you vouchers regularly. They'll even give you vouchers right
        after using one on a plugin purchase ( to entice you to buy another plugin, LOL!!!).
    3. My system is VERY stable. I have an Apollo interface, a satellite processor (which came free with the interface) and
        a PCIe processor. I had a problem with the original satellite unit but I sent it back to Sweetwater and got a
        replacement unit. Since them it's been smooth as butter.
    4.  No I haven't tried this configuration (using the firewire interface).
    5.  I would make the same choice today if I had to do it over again, except I would go for the thunderbolt bolt
         interface instead, but I'm extremely pleased with my system.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1