UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers...

Author
thndrsn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 475
2005/06/09 18:17:44 (permalink)

UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers...

Hi,
I recently moved my UAD-1 card to the first PCI slot and I think I got rid of a nasty system hang problem I was having.

Using the plugin while looping the other day I got a message from SONAR that it was shutting down a powered plugin because it was using a 64 sample buffer when SONAR was using a 128 sample buffer.

After reloading SONAR I noticed that this happened when SONAR returned to the start of a loop.

Previously, I just got a timing offset between tracks when SONAR looped while using the UAD-1 (when it didn't hang) and was told that this was a known issue.

Is the 'incompatible buffer size' problem the same 'known issue' or is this something else?

Also, my UAD-1 is sharing IRQ 16 with the video card, but I have other IRQs that are not being used at all. Can I change this without moving the UAD-1? Should I?

(I have an APIC installation of XP Pro)

Thanks in advance.

--thndrsn

post edited by thndrsn - 2005/06/09 18:25:24

Beethoven was right: the bigger the stream, the deeper the tone.

8 Replies Related Threads

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers... 2005/06/09 18:36:40 (permalink)
    Is the 'incompatible buffer size' problem the same 'known issue' or is this something else?

It's a known issue with the DX version of the UAD-1 plugs. Try using the VST version, instead.
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers... 2005/06/09 18:43:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thndrsn

Yes, this is directly related to the project looping while using PPI's, on both track inserts and aux buses. It is more severe using the DX versions, but it also repeatedly happens when I use the VST versions also. This is a known issue since, well since forever. Just avoid project looping, in SONAR, while using PPI's. SONAR is the only major host app that exhibits this behavior, while using the UAD-1 plugins. Hopefully, this will be fixed, in the 4.03 update, because it is related to the ongoing PDC/gapping issues. If you must project loop, temporarily disable any PPI's, (disable the bus fx bins), on your aux buses.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

thndrsn
    RE: UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers... 2005/06/09 22:12:31 (permalink)
    Thanks, Phrauge, thanks Billy Buck.

Can anyone help me with the IRQ sharing question? Is that a problem? Can I change it? Should I? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

BTW Phrauge, who did your avatar? Is that your work or have you got a very artistic friend that's good with characatures?

--thndrsn

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers... 2005/06/09 22:15:28 (permalink)
    have you got a very artistic friend that's good with characatures?

Yes.
    djoni
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1974
    RE: UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers... 2005/06/10 00:58:26 (permalink)
    check your mobo´s manual and find which pci slots share irq etc.
    moving the card around often solves the iqr sharing problem.
    tweking in the bios may also help by forcing a specifi slot to use a specific irq #.

hope this helps

joni

Ekaya Productions

Sonar Platinum, Intel - 6 Core i7 overclocked 4.5GHz with HT 12meg cache w/ 32GB RAM, UAD-2 QUAD & OCTO, Tascam DM-4800, 1xMackie CU & 2xExtenders...
    thndrsn
    RE: UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers... 2005/06/10 12:31:59 (permalink)
    djoni,
    Thanks for responding. Yes, I did that and there seems to be some sort of "round robin" IRQ assignment for the PCI slots, there's a chart that goes something like:
    A B C D E
    B C D E A
    C D E A B
    D E A B C
    E A B C D
    and I have no idea what this all means, and I'm generally a very computer literate sort.

But I'm not sharing with PCI, I'm sharing with AGP video. Besides, I just moved the UAD-1 from slot 3 to slot 1 to fix a system crash problem, and now it seems at least not to be crashing so I really don't want to move the card if I can help it.
    Also, moving the card made it necessary to reauthorize my EWQLSO products, so I really don't want to move it again. I'm afraid I'll end up with no functioning configuration that can be authorized.

I'll check the BIOS and see if there's a way to change the IRQ without moving it. I think I read in another thread, though, that you reinstalled XP in a Standard mode instead of APIC, is that correct? Was that to gain control over IRQ assignments? And somewhere I think I read that in APIC mode, XP won't allow moving IRQs. Does this match your understanding of the situation? (I don't recall seeing much information about specific IRQs in my BIOS, but I'll look again.)

I read on another thread that the '64 sample buffer' problem is a known issue of sorts, so maybe it has nothing to do with the fact that my UAD-1 shares an IRQ with the video card. If that's the case, and ...

...if the IRQ sharing in this case is not expected to be problematic, perhaps I should just leave it as it is. I'd feel better about that if I heard from someone who's got a UAD-1 that's happily sharing an IRQ though.

I think I read recently that your UAD-1 shares an IRQ with your 1394 firewire card. How is that working out? Do you use both simultaneously without problems? (Assuming you've solved the noise problem with your two cards in their best slots now.)

Thanks again for any information that may be of help here.

--thndrsn

djoni
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1974
    RE: UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers... 2005/06/10 16:30:10 (permalink)

I think I read in another thread, though, that you reinstalled XP in a Standard mode instead of APIC, is that correct? Was that to gain control over IRQ assignments? And somewhere I think I read that in APIC mode, XP won't allow moving IRQs. Does this match your understanding of the situation? (I don't recall seeing much information about specific IRQs in my BIOS, but I'll look again.)

Yes, I have windows installed as standard pc and I like it this way. xp will not create virtual irq´s.
    Now I have some control over my irqs.

I am sharing an irq between one of my uad-1´s and my 1394 (firewire). So far so good.
    Tom, from uaudio, told me that no sharing is good but that should not be a problem.
    From what he told me, I think he has 4 uad-1´s in his computer and some share irqs with other devices with
    no probs at all.

best

joni

Ekaya Productions

Sonar Platinum, Intel - 6 Core i7 overclocked 4.5GHz with HT 12meg cache w/ 32GB RAM, UAD-2 QUAD & OCTO, Tascam DM-4800, 1xMackie CU & 2xExtenders...
    thndrsn
    RE: UAD-1 "One of your plugins is using 64 sample buffers... 2005/06/10 19:23:28 (permalink)
    djoni,
    Thank you. That is very helpful.
    I think I'll leave it as is for now. Unless I have problems for which no other explanation exists, I don't want to have to reinstall everything after a fresh install of XP yet again.

Still, in case I ever do decide to go that route, can you please tell me, are you able from within XP to reassign IRQs in your standard installation or must that still be done in the BIOS?

--thndrsn

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1