UAD-1 Powered Plug-In

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2008/09/19 20:53:00 (permalink)

UAD-1 Powered Plug-In

OK, so I've been looking at this but i'm not sure how it works. Apparently this package comes with a PCI card (D-1 PCI
DSP card). What does this card do? Is it a replacement for a sound card? Does it run with other sound cards? I've never heard of such a thing!

Will these plugins work without the card, in case of card failure? If the card goes toast do you lose your investment in the purchase? It's not like you can keep a backup of your card. Software backups are one thing. I can put those in the firesafe. But if I"m going to spend a few hundred bucks, I'd like to know that it will work with or without the card, and if so, how?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers!

2 Replies Related Threads

tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: UAD-1 Powered Plug-In 2008/09/21 14:12:31 (permalink)
    spindlebox,

If you're talking about the UAD-1 PCI card, the plug-ins will not work without the card. It is an effects processor and definitely not a replacement for a sound card. Some on the forum have compared the UAD cards to a dongle while others cite the processing that takes place on the card thereby freeing your CPU resources. If the card goes to toast, you'd have the replace the card but you would still have access to all your plugins once you were back up although you may have to go through a reauthorization. I haven't had that happen so I do not know.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: UAD-1 Powered Plug-In 2008/09/21 15:22:30 (permalink)
    Ahh, yeah. Well, I guess its like a dongle, but if it frees CPU then all the better!

OK, thank you for clearning the air!!!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1