UAD1 installed...initial impressions

Author
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
2008/09/10 00:33:28 (permalink)

UAD1 installed...initial impressions

Got my UAD1 today, figured I'd post my initial impressions.

1. Both software and hardware installs were seemless. Videos on UA site very helpful. I expected install glitches and was pleasantly surprised that there were none.
2. I could use the included plugs even though the card transfer process hasn't completed....strange.
3. Unless I am placebo effecting the heck out of myself, the "these are the bees knees" crowd is correct. I mainly played with the LA2A and 1176LN. Unbelievably "musical" for lack of a better word. Really stunning how they could add life to tracks that I already thought were "there"(specifically drums and piano). I think those two plugs were worth the $240 for the card all alone.
4. Card is still underpowered...6 plugs got me to 75%.
5. While I still think it is a PCI dongle, given that it isn't a iLok and that is works seemlessly with my system, I don't have much concern.
6. Had some glitching with the ReaverbPro...but enabling the "Sonar Compatibility mode" seemed to help....what is the deal with this setting anyway? Didn't seem to affect the compressors at all.

I have yet to try the EQ's or try low latency performance(based on posts at the UA forums this will probably be disappointing). All in all...pretty happy. I'll post again when the UAD2 gets here...

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw

6 Replies Related Threads

Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: UAD1 installed...initial impressions 2008/09/10 02:47:56 (permalink)
    yepp, the LA2A shows you what a compressor is
    I didn't go for the 1176LN, but use the 1176SE instead, usually directly after the LA2A on i.e. vocals & bass

There is a significant difference between switching "sonar compatibility mode" on/off (at least on my system)
    You'll notice it best when you switch it on and insert a powered plugin to your project (have the dsp's at 75%) and you'll get a nice distorted playback.., but then, if you don't have to include any more plugins then this option eliminates the cpu-spikes.. well,well,.. if you are lucky you don't see any of these and other issues..
    acidrock
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: UAD1 installed...initial impressions 2008/09/10 22:15:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Frank Haas

yepp, the LA2A shows you what a compressor is

Only two knobs and that's the beauty of it.Tweaking can be a distraction.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: UAD1 installed...initial impressions 2008/09/10 22:52:03 (permalink)
    The secret is to keep your signal between -3 to -10 then adjust the gain accordingly.
    post edited by Middleman - 2008/09/10 22:53:04

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    AndyW
    RE: UAD1 installed...initial impressions 2008/09/16 01:50:50 (permalink)
    Have to say I am halfway to being a convert from my previous skepticism. The UAD plugs I have used have mostly been impressive and definitely above the standard fare, just as many have said. I still would never have purchased a UAD1....way underpowered(1 instance of Nigel and 1 instance of the Precision maximizer take it over 60%), but the UAD2 Quad looks like it has enough for my current needs and seems to integrate seemlessly into SONAR(it basically crosses my "minumum power needed" threshold so I don't have to think about DSP usage, just like native). I would also never have been happy with a Solo or a Duo....clearly not enough power above the UAD1 to be worthwhile IMO. Interestingly...with the Quad at 10X the power of the UAD1 it tracks better with what should be expected over this miuch time(although still below the Moore's law curve...) since UAD1 was released. Only glitch so far is that I cannot use UAD plugs on a Surround bus with the SONAR LP64 plugs. Has some kind of buffer mismatch error. Still haven't pushed low latency. I'll play some with that this week. I am also going to keep my UAD1 for a while as well...gotta play with Nigel and have something to run the Precision Maximizer on...

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: UAD1 installed...initial impressions 2008/09/16 06:09:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AndyW
    Only glitch so far is that I cannot use UAD plugs on a Surround bus with the SONAR LP64 plugs. Has some kind of buffer mismatch error. Still haven't pushed low latency.

Hey Andy,
    You may want to shoot Cake tech support an email describing your UAD plugs/Surround bus/LP64 plugs issue so they can maybe take a look at it for a possible fix or provide a temp workaround. I don't ever use surround sound and rarely the LP64 plug, so I would never have come across this.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

AndyW
    RE: UAD1 installed...initial impressions 2008/09/23 02:21:23 (permalink)
    OK, so the UAD1 seems to do fine at low latency. I played with Nigel for a while tonight at 64 samples...worked fine. Nigel is actually a pretty nice guitar rig...not as good or versatile as Amplitube or Gearbox...but good. Has one of the best bell strat tones(Bad Strattitude is the basic preset IIRC), although I still like Flying Haggis for strat-like clean-crunch sounds. Didn't try any UAD2 stuff at low latency yet...maybe this weekend.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1