UM1G not triggering computer midi piano

Author
tr909
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/07/22 16:06:24 (permalink)

UM1G not triggering computer midi piano

I think i've fallen at first hurdle, but, being a novice i don't know how to investigate why no sounds are triggered by the keyboard.

I have:
Fatar SL-880 midi keyboard
UM-1G
PC running Vista 32bit
PianoFX Studio 4.0

What i've done so far:
Installed the Roland/Cakewalk Advanced driver (apparently successfully)
Done a Factory Default Settings reset on the keyboard
Installed PianoFX and registered it
Made sound come out of PianoFX using the on-screen keyboard and mouse-clicks
Switched the UM-1G Midi Thru Off and Advanced Driver On
Connected the Midi Out on the keyboard to the UM-1G connector that's labeled "Connect to midi out"
Connected to USB on the PC
In PianoFX gone to Midi Device and selected 3- UM-1G

What i get:
The USB light is lit on the UM-1G
On pressing a key on the piano keyboard there's a Midi In light lit on the UM-1G
There is no Midi Out light lit on the UM-1G
If using the Midi Check button the Midi Out light is lit

At no point is there sound coming from my pc apart from the system sound when connecting the USB cable or if the onscreen piano is triggered using the mouse.

What can i check or do? Should there be a corresponding Midi Out lit when the Midi In is lighting on keyboard key presses?

Thanks for any help...

4 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:UM1G not triggering computer midi piano 2010/07/22 16:27:27 (permalink)
    ok.. piano fx.. you can record notes right?

remember the interface is MIDI and not audio interface

you get the audio from either 1) the keyboard (if it has sounds) OR from VST instruments..

you have a decent onboard asio card? you need to setup your audio sound card also IF you wanna deal with sound coming from the pc

the "advanced" driver , if you turn it to off it will use the use windows generic one.

they are 2 separate things to setup..

you maybe getting notes in BUT you need to trigger something with sound.

post edited by Fog - 2010/07/22 16:28:42
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:UM1G not triggering computer midi piano 2010/07/22 16:28:39 (permalink)
    I downloaded PianoFX to check it out and it doesn't look like it accepts external midi commands and can only be triggered with its own keyboard or the computer keyboard. It can SEND midi data but nowhere in its limited documentation does it say it RECEIVES midi information or can be used with an external midi controller. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like.

I think you'd be much happier with an audio recording program that includes soft synths that can be used with external midi controllers. They cost more but they do a lot more.
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/07/22 16:41:54
    tr909
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:UM1G not triggering computer midi piano 2010/07/22 18:23:40 (permalink)
    Well observed Chappel, looking again at PianoFX i agree - it doesn't receive midi.

I found another post elsewhere that suggested confirming the pc receives midi using an app called Music Masterworks (30 day trial period). Lo and behold i can trigger the pc to make midi sounds from the keyboard.

Now i've got to find something half-decent (and hopefully free) to work with. All i want to do is trigger piano sounds with low latency - nothing fancy - to practice in between my lessons. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:UM1G not triggering computer midi piano 2010/07/22 21:09:39 (permalink)
    Since you have the UM-1GI doubt you'd have any problems sending or receiving midi. I'm not familiar with any stand-alone soft synths so can't help you there. Perhaps others can. Cakewalk sells a program called Music Creator 5 that seems like a good entry level deal at $34.99.

Music Creator 5

As far as triggering sounds with low latency, that has a lot to do with your computer and your audio device. If you just use the audio device your computer came with, integrated sound or soundcard, low latency might be very hard to achieve. Audio devices (PCI, PCIe, firewire, USB) designed for audio recording will deliver the lowest latencies. You're looking at spending around $100 and up for a good audio device. That's what my Cakewalk USB UA-1G cost ($100).

Another option you have would be to get an inexpensive synth or sound module to plug your controller into. That would give you no latency.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1