Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
2009/03/15 18:35:41 (permalink)

UPDATE #2: Brighter Version "Dancing on the Sun"

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7428097

Just something I was playing around with lately.

Edit: I have reworked the song tightening things up a bit.

Edit #2: Just updated song, should be a brighter mix.
post edited by marcos69 - 2009/03/22 17:34:51

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick

31 Replies Related Threads

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/15 18:44:31 (permalink)
    Wow, this is the second song in a row that I listened to which has that same kind of vibe ....
    Check out DrumStix Kevin's tune Lounge Act.

I think you guys should get together !!!

This is really great .... Such Fantastic Guitar Playing, So smooth and Eloquently executed.

Simply Great Guitar Playing .... !!!!! FANTASTIC ( I'm impressed with your chops )
    Great stuff.... Looking forward to hearing more stuff from you.

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/15 19:25:29 (permalink)
    Dude the board is getting full of slinky tunes. How lucky we are!! Is that am synth guitar. JUST KIDDING!!! Tasty guitar licks. I really think you could clean it up (guitar) a little more. Guys like me have to muddy a little so you don't hear our mistakes!! I don't think you do. I agree with Tap. More!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    marcos69
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/16 12:24:31 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. It's still a little rough around the edges. I'll prolly go in and clean up a bit.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/16 13:42:40 (permalink)
    Good tune Mark. Yeah, the mix sounds a little dark eq wise... Your guitar skills and compositions are always impressive!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/16 14:04:14 (permalink)
    Nice marcoss, very nice actually. Bit of Hendrix vibe going on here. You certainly know how to push a guitar to its limits. As the others have said, the mix needs polishing. Once done, it will be superdooper.

Mark.
    Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/16 19:36:11 (permalink)
    I enjoyed that!
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/16 19:46:08 (permalink)
    This has a cool "greasy" vibe to it. A little more polish on your mix Mark, and this one stands up just fine. Keep me posted.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/17 08:06:26 (permalink)
    Very cool guitar work. I definitely like the way you blend all of the guitar parts together, they really work for me. I agree with Larry that it is a bit dark eq-wise. Also, try (easier said than done) not to overlook the bass guitar behind all that wonderful guitar work. Try to give it and the drums a pocket and build all those guitar licks around it.

Enjoyed this very much.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/17 08:18:42 (permalink)
    Dancing on the Sun - Hot footed! A great rocker, good drive and licks. My only critque is that I would have liked an ending, or a longer more repeititive fade, it kind of dropped just as I was really getting into the groove. Other then the abrupt ending, a good rocker and some great licks as usual. Sounds like a mixture of Strat and Paul, but I could be wrong. I love the turn-around at :52.
    The bass seems to need more punch but I'm listening at work on crappy speakers.

So does this mean you're not so busy at work now or just busting out in desperation Either way, good work.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    marcos69
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/17 10:26:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

Good tune Mark. Yeah, the mix sounds a little dark eq wise... Your guitar skills and compositions are always impressive!

Thanks Larry. Are those new curtains? The whole song is kind of a draft still, lots of work still needed.

ORIGINAL: mstodge

Nice marcoss, very nice actually. Bit of Hendrix vibe going on here. You certainly know how to push a guitar to its limits. As the others have said, the mix needs polishing. Once done, it will be superdooper.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, I'll shoot for superdooper then.

ORIGINAL: Mamabear

I enjoyed that!

Thanks Janet, I appreciate you.

ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

This has a cool "greasy" vibe to it. A little more polish on your mix Mark, and this one stands up just fine. Keep me posted.

Randy

Thanks Randy. Greasy...I like that!

ORIGINAL: tyacko

Very cool guitar work. I definitely like the way you blend all of the guitar parts together, they really work for me. I agree with Larry that it is a bit dark eq-wise. Also, try (easier said than done) not to overlook the bass guitar behind all that wonderful guitar work. Try to give it and the drums a pocket and build all those guitar licks around it.

Enjoyed this very much.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Thanks tyako, appreciate the listen.

ORIGINAL: darylcrowley

Dancing on the Sun - Hot footed! A great rocker, good drive and licks. My only critque is that I would have liked an ending, or a longer more repeititive fade, it kind of dropped just as I was really getting into the groove. Other then the abrupt ending, a good rocker and some great licks as usual. Sounds like a mixture of Strat and Paul, but I could be wrong. I love the turn-around at :52.
    The bass seems to need more punch but I'm listening at work on crappy speakers.

So does this mean you're not so busy at work now or just busting out in desperation Either way, good work.

Sorry Daryl, I had to fade fast because the girl's feet were getting hot. It is a mix of the strat and les paul. First lead is the strat, second is the LP and rhythm is mix of both..good ear on you.

You hit the nail on the head...I was busting out in desperation. They are asking me to work weekends again and my side job is picking up steam again too. :/ I have a stack of collabs to do and everytime I try to play the same crap comes out of my hands, so I had to do one of my own to clear the palette so to speak.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    marcos69
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/18 23:59:23 (permalink)
    I have just updated the song reworking some parts and generally tightening things up.
    post edited by marcos69 - 2009/03/19 00:33:04

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/20 09:26:06 (permalink)
    Hey Mark how ya doin' buddy? Love the driving rhythm guitar behind this one and it's one of your best drum drums IMO. Really good arrangement, too. I didn't hear the previous version but this mix sounds pretty sweet to me!!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/20 10:38:02 (permalink)
    It's hard to remember for comparison, but this sounds pretty tight.

I always love that low to high run you do. I'm going to steal that

Where are the harmony tracks?

Good job, great chops as always.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/20 12:56:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: marcos69

Thanks Larry. Are those new curtains? The whole song is kind of a draft still, lots of work still needed.

No. I just turned 'em inside out...they're cleaner on this side..

Speaking of 'cleaner' the new mix sounds a lot crisper..Nice!
    post edited by lhansen - 2009/03/20 12:58:03

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: UPDATED: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/21 20:41:00 (permalink)
    Hi, Marcos69,

Really nice instrumental. I love the way the song progresses through different sections and seems to build up to the smokin' part at the end.

You're obviously a very good guitarist and very tasty in your selection of licks. I don't hear the "mental masturbation" in your playing that I hear in so many "hot shot" guitarists. You seem to be intent on serving the music, not just showing off your technical skills. You should get lots of credit for this, alone.

I think the song works. The arrangement moves the song along quite nicely and keeps me wanting to hear where it is going next.

On a purely technical level, the mix, in general, sounds a bit dark and could use some brightening up in my opinion. There are places, especially as the guitar solo grows in intensity that it could pop out of the mix a bit more (based on what it sounds like in my system). But, overall, you've done a nice, musical job on this piece. Congratulations on your compositional and playing abilities.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: UPDATED: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/22 09:18:21 (permalink)
    Very cool one, Mark. I like that opening vamp, gets things going right out. There kind of Dixie Dregs sound in there, the 5ths pattern. Yep, I like this one; good mix.
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: UPDATED: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/22 10:50:16 (permalink)
    Your playing as always is SMOKIN. Like everyone else has already said the mix needs a little more high end. GREAT tune and performance.

LATER
    Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: UPDATED: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/22 11:58:45 (permalink)
    Loved your playing, especially the solo at around 1:25, that is a really sweet sounding guitar and very tasteful playing. What guitar and amp were you using? Yeah, liked this a lot.
    marcos69
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/22 14:01:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dlogan

Hey Mark how ya doin' buddy? Love the driving rhythm guitar behind this one and it's one of your best drum drums IMO. Really good arrangement, too. I didn't hear the previous version but this mix sounds pretty sweet to me!!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone

Hey Dave, thanks for listening. The drums are from my old collection of Smart Loops. I had to do ALOT of processing to get them to sound worth a darn.

ORIGINAL: darylcrowley

It's hard to remember for comparison, but this sounds pretty tight.

I always love that low to high run you do. I'm going to steal that

Where are the harmony tracks?

Good job, great chops as always.

Thanks Daryl, steal any licks you like. I use that lick too much, but when I get in my trance that lick always just comes out. I purposely didn't put any harmonies on this one because I always use them and I am trying real hard not to keep plagarizing myself.

ORIGINAL: lhansen

No. I just turned 'em inside out...they're cleaner on this side..

Speaking of 'cleaner' the new mix sounds a lot crisper..Nice!

Thanks Larry, It was a pretty dirty mix before, and I'm not making a comparison to your curtains.

ORIGINAL: Cromberger

Hi, Marcos69,

Really nice instrumental. I love the way the song progresses through different sections and seems to build up to the smokin' part at the end.

You're obviously a very good guitarist and very tasty in your selection of licks. I don't hear the "mental masturbation" in your playing that I hear in so many "hot shot" guitarists. You seem to be intent on serving the music, not just showing off your technical skills. You should get lots of credit for this, alone.

I think the song works. The arrangement moves the song along quite nicely and keeps me wanting to hear where it is going next.

On a purely technical level, the mix, in general, sounds a bit dark and could use some brightening up in my opinion. There are places, especially as the guitar solo grows in intensity that it could pop out of the mix a bit more (based on what it sounds like in my system). But, overall, you've done a nice, musical job on this piece. Congratulations on your compositional and playing abilities.

Best regards,
    Bill

Thanks Bill, I appreciate you comments about the song. I struggle with my mixes due to my horrible mixing environment.

Room treatment is high on my list if I can ever get caught up again.

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Very cool one, Mark. I like that opening vamp, gets things going right out. There kind of Dixie Dregs sound in there, the 5ths pattern. Yep, I like this one; good mix.

Thanks Ed, appreciate you comments. I love the 5ths thingy. I haven't recorded with it much but I overuse it when I'm just playing around, and that's how this song started.

ORIGINAL: drumstixkev

Your playing as always is SMOKIN. Like everyone else has already said the mix needs a little more high end. GREAT tune and performance.

LATER
    Kev

Thanks Kev, I appreciate the comments. I'll try to work on the mix some more.

ORIGINAL: blipp

Loved your playing, especially the solo at around 1:25, that is a really sweet sounding guitar and very tasteful playing. What guitar and amp were you using? Yeah, liked this a lot.

Thanks for listening blipp.

I used a combination of instrumentation on this. The rhythms are a mix of 2 tracks with my Les Paul through my digitech gnx2 pedal using a chorus effect DI'ed panned left and right and one very faint track of the LP straight through a Fender Blues Jr. amp miced with an SM57 centered.

The first lead melody and first lead solo are my '62 strat through the gnx2 pedal an "eric johnson" preset DI'ed and the last leads are the Les Paul with the same setup as the first lead.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/22 14:06:15 (permalink)
    Nice one Mark, this is chock-full of excellent riffs and leads - a veritable cornucopia of coolness!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    marcos69
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/22 17:31:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Nice one Mark, this is chock-full of excellent riffs and leads - a veritable cornucopia of coolness!

Thanks Big James! If you get a chance, give another listen - I have uploaded a remix which should sound brighter.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/23 02:48:47 (permalink)
    Hi Mark ,
    this mix is a lot better than the one you had up a few days ago
    I like the R Trower ensemble w the BTO style octaves intro
    imo...the ensemble phrase at 53 would sound better if you pulled the static drums out & had the drums hits follow along w the melody .then build up the drums at 57 ( like you did )
    good rock geetar playing through out the song
    I almost feel the back round gtr playing sounds a little too polite in places
    either way its nice to see you here w a new song

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/23 04:00:51 (permalink)
    Very, VERY nice! Man I am sooo jealous of your playing...
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/23 05:38:07 (permalink)
    nice playing, though that's a given of course! mix was clean, everything was intelligible and nothing dominated. definitely got a Satch vibe off this, nice to hear a solo on here where you get the time to express yourself. some cool riffs in there. Great!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/23 08:31:40 (permalink)
    Nicely done Mark. As always some very good playing and a cool sounding song.

Kudos
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    marcos69
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/23 19:56:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kennywtelejazz

Hi Mark ,
    this mix is a lot better than the one you had up a few days ago
    I like the R Trower ensemble w the BTO style octaves intro
    imo...the ensemble phrase at 53 would sound better if you pulled the static drums out & had the drums hits follow along w the melody .then build up the drums at 57 ( like you did )
    good rock geetar playing through out the song
    I almost feel the back round gtr playing sounds a little too polite in places
    either way its nice to see you here w a new song

Kenny

Thanks for listening and for the comments Kenny. I like the drum hits idea, I think I will give that a shot when I get a chance. Sometimes I get lazy with drum loops forgetting that you can get surgical and customise them.

ORIGINAL: Texrat

Very, VERY nice! Man I am sooo jealous of your playing...

Thanks for the kind words.

ORIGINAL: mgh

nice playing, though that's a given of course! mix was clean, everything was intelligible and nothing dominated. definitely got a Satch vibe off this, nice to hear a solo on here where you get the time to express yourself. some cool riffs in there. Great!

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the comments.

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

Nicely done Mark. As always some very good playing and a cool sounding song.

Kudos
    Shad

Thanks Shad.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/23 22:09:03 (permalink)
    I didn't get a chance to listen to the earlier mix but this feels balanced to me. I can hear every instrument clearly. Great guitar playing. Drums sound good.

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    marcos69
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/26 10:24:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thalweg

I didn't get a chance to listen to the earlier mix but this feels balanced to me. I can hear every instrument clearly. Great guitar playing. Drums sound good.

Thanks thalweg.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: Rock Instumental "Dancing on the Sun" 2009/03/26 11:03:38 (permalink)
    Yeah, This mix is much better.... Lovin this one immensly. Fantastic Stuff....
    Doesn't that left hand ever get tired ? Very nice playin and mixin ....

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1