UPDATED "Herb's Glorious Return"

Author
RRabbi
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 923
2009/03/25 00:17:23 (permalink)

UPDATED "Herb's Glorious Return"

Tracked this song as a favour to my friend (Jeremy Quiring), and he wrote it for his friend who's husband passed away a year ago... I kinda like how the acoustic guitar turned out, although he only did one take since he needed to send this off to his friend the next day... Still, I think it's nice... Hopefully it will comfort his friend a little bit... The anniversary of the funeral is tomorrow (March 25)...

http://www.greenroomeast.com/JeremyQuiring

Dave

UPDATE: (based on feedback)

I re-mixed it a bit tonight...

De-essed the vocals, played with the compression on the guitar, eased up on the limiter (no longer as loud), pulled back the guitar a bit, cleaned up the vocal tracks (dead air between phrases)

Again, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over the mix since it's not being demo'd or anything... but I think it was worthwhile making those minor changes... Still sounds good I think.

Thanks for the suggestions!

ANOTHER EDIT: I just listened to it on the stereo upstairs, and I had to crank the volume to max for it to sound ok, and so I think I maybe made it a little too quiet. I'll try running it thru a pass of Boost11, but I'm just worried about squashing those louder acoustic hits and strums he makes... I want to make the overall thing louder, but don't want anything to sound distorted or squashed... I'll re-visit it again once the babies are down for a nap (my OTHER full time job... stay at home Dad!) :)

Update 2: ran it thru a pass of Boost11... Here's the streaming mp3:

Dave
post edited by RRabbi - 2009/03/26 12:10:54

25 Replies Related Threads

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:24:27 (permalink)
    Very nice, nice guitar, I'd put a deesser and a compressor on that lead vocalist. And a "slight" compressor on that guitar, to tame the dyanamics just bit. It's a beautiful song and a beautiful performance, "really..." I'm sorry for your loss.

Really beautiful.. Nice tribute, really nice. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I can feel it... It made me cry...

=======================

Dave, I listened to this "several times"... And... well, it's just really good, and again, I'm sorry for your loss. This is a wonderful tribute to him, I wish people or someone would miss me like this one day when I'm gone. So beautiful... Big tears running down my face, dripping on my shirt, like a baby... Thank you for this beautiful tribute to your friend... Thank you.
    post edited by robby - 2009/03/25 00:42:21

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    RRabbi
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:35:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

Very nice, nice guitar, I'd put a deesser and a compressor on that lead vocalist. And a "slight" compressor on that guitar, to tame the dyanamics just bit. It's a beautiful song and a beautiful performance, "really..." I'm sorry for your loss.

Really beautiful.. Nice tribute, really nice. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I can feel it... It made me cry...

Thanks... Yeah, I never thought to do a de-esser on the vocals... it was a real rush job and they didn't need anything fancy done, and so I just did it all rather quickly... The guitars do have some compression on it 2:1 ratio, and about 6 db of gain reduction happening... Didn't want to go much more than that I think, just to keep the dynamics more as they were... Kinda wanted a live sound... But the compression I do have on it did help when contrasted with the original dry track... Didn't want to push the compressor too much when those loud strums poked thru and have it sound squashed in parts... I might re-visit it later on this week, tho...

I personally didn't know the person who passed away (friend of a friend, I suppose) but I must say after I finished mixing it and really LISTENED to the song, it reminded me of my daughter who passed away in 2005... We tracked vocals tonite, and the songwriter wanted to send the mp3 to his friend the next day (anniversary of funeral)... I'm glad I was able to help...

Dave

David Yanofsky
    Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
    http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
    robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:40:30 (permalink)
    Dave, I cried like a baby when I listened to this... It's really beautiful... Thank you for this very beautiful song.

==================

RRabbi
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:45:29 (permalink)
    I'll pass that along to my friend, Jeremy (wrote it, playing guitar)... He's been sitting on that song for an entire year, wrote the lyrics the day of the funeral last year... That's his wife (Jill) singing all the vocals...

Thanks for the listen (even tho it made you cry) ... I should put a disclaimer on it, maybe? ;)

Dave
    post edited by RRabbi - 2009/03/25 00:58:33

David Yanofsky

robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:50:32 (permalink)
    I cried like a baby, this is really a beautiful and emotional song. And your guitar work really brought it out. Very powerful... Very well done. I would do some things with the vocal to bring it out a bit more, but if a song makes someone cry? You've pretty much done your job...

==================

robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:53:29 (permalink)
    ^^

==================

robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:57:28 (permalink)
    ^^

==================

robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:58:39 (permalink)
    ^^

==================

RRabbi
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 00:59:59 (permalink)
    it is a long song tho, but I kinda like what he starts to do on guitar around 6:00 and then on to the end... The song is mostly an instrumental... He knows that his friend would sit and just soak in the music (and probably put it on repeat in their stereo)...
    post edited by RRabbi - 2009/03/25 21:02:06

David Yanofsky

robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 01:04:29 (permalink)
    It's a beautiful song Dave, and a beautiful tribute... I salute you. Sorry for that "bumping" but this needed to rise above that... It's special, and beautiful, and deserves recognition.

==================

robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 01:07:21 (permalink)
    I would bring her vox up a bit.

==================

robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 01:14:32 (permalink)
    No more Metalman post after post after post after post after post after post after post after post? I guess I can can go to bed now.

==================

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 09:57:27 (permalink)
    Nice job on the recording.... I like the acoustic sound. The vocals are nicely done too.... the post got my attention.....the song kept it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RRabbi
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 13:44:29 (permalink)
    I've been listening to it on REPEAT upstairs in my stereo... Very relaxing... Makes me want to get him in to do a whole instrumental album of this type of stuff.

David Yanofsky

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 15:01:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, I have to admit ... Robbie's point is well taken here.... This is truly a beautiful song.

Had to listen to this one a couple of times to really enjoy the whole piece.

The Guitar is really done in the style of Michael Hedges !!!!

- B E A U T I F U L - MAGNIFICENTLY DONE -

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

RRabbi
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 17:38:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Tap

Yeah, I have to admit ... Robbie's point is well taken here.... This is truly a beautiful song.

Had to listen to this one a couple of times to really enjoy the whole piece.

The Guitar is really done in the style of Michael Hedges !!!!

- B E A U T I F U L - MAGNIFICENTLY DONE -

-TAP-

Yeah, I sent it to my mastering guy (Cass Anawaty, Sunbreak Music) and he said the same thing... That Jeremy was "another desciple of Michael Hedges..." Then he correctly suggested that maybe it was more Phil Keaggy... Jeremy also listens to Steve Bell (Canadian artist) and it's basically the same idea...
    post edited by RRabbi - 2009/03/25 21:00:59

David Yanofsky

Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 20:40:52 (permalink)

This is some of the most sensitive, emotional and heart-rending acoustic guitar playing I've heard in years. Really, really, special tribute to the deceased. Tears rolled down my face as I listened and that's not something that happens everyday.

But, I agree with robby that, to make this song even more ethereal and transcendent, the vocals could come up a bit in the mix so we could hear the lyrics a bit better.

Sorry if the technical detail jars against the beautiful sentiment of the recording. But I honestly believe that the beauty would be enhanced by a slight raising of the vocal level in this beautiful, hear-rending song.

Magnificent.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 21:56:27 (permalink)
    This really is beautiful. Very very well done. She has a beautiful voice too. This was a nice tribute for him. And sorry to hear about your daughter too...
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 22:04:54 (permalink)
    Quite loud. Maybe too loud.

I agree with Robby, that you need to tame the ssses out a bit.

My first impression was that the guitar overwhelmed the vocals. Usually I would say bring the vocals forward, but I think in your case, I would move the guitar back.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 22:11:23 (permalink)
    beautiful song, agree with robby and shad for the fixes.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    robby
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/25 23:43:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cromberger

This is some of the most sensitive, emotional and heart-rending acoustic guitar playing I've heard in years. Really, really, special tribute to the deceased. Tears rolled down my face as I listened and that's not something that happens everyday.

But, I agree with robby that, to make this song even more ethereal and transcendent, the vocals could come up a bit in the mix so we could hear the lyrics a bit better.

Sorry if the technical detail jars against the beautiful sentiment of the recording. But I honestly believe that the beauty would be enhanced by a slight raising of the vocal level in this beautiful, hear-rending song.

Magnificent.

Best regards,
    Bill

Yeah, it was beautiful, I cried too... It's funny how music does that to you... Really a beautiful song.

==================

RRabbi
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/26 01:21:58 (permalink)
    I re-mixed it a bit tonight...

De-essed the vocals, played with the compression on the guitar, eased up on the limiter (no longer as loud), pulled back the guitar a bit, cleaned up the vocal tracks (dead air between phrases)

Again, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over the mix since it's not being demo'd or anything... but I think it was worthwhile making those minor changes... Still sounds good I think.

Thanks for the suggestions!

ANOTHER EDIT: I just listened to it on the stereo upstairs, and I had to crank the volume to max for it to sound ok, and so I think I maybe made it a little too quiet. I'll try running it thru a pass of Boost11, but I'm just worried about squashing those louder acoustic hits and strums he makes... I want to make the overall thing louder, but don't want anything to sound distorted or squashed... I'll re-visit it again once the babies are down for a nap (my OTHER full time job... stay at home Dad!) :)

Dave
    post edited by RRabbi - 2009/03/26 12:12:00

David Yanofsky

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/26 11:30:10 (permalink)
    Nice Remix ..... Great stuff, !!!! I think there are some aspecs of the original that I actually prefer IMHO and what it's worth. It could just be my impression that you've overtamed the guitar ???? The results are very nice, though!!!!

Maybe someone else will notice and comment on this ???? ( Robbie ????? ) ...

*** EDIT ***

This may have been part of the differences as well ??? I must have missed this before

Could be Phil Keaggy as well... Not quite Glass Harp, though???... Probably more of his solo stuff that I'm not as familiar with ?

I had Michael Hedge's first two albums (on vinyl) and saw him perform live as well ... This is very similar to his style !!!

-TAP-
    post edited by Tap - 2009/03/26 14:54:56

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

gdugan
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1118
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/26 12:01:55 (permalink)
    David, this is simply lovely - a wonderful tribute and comfort. The recording sounds great. The only thing I'm not sure I care for is the mono, centered reverb on the stereo guitar. Nonetheless, this is stunningly performed and recorded.
    RRabbi
    RE: Herb's Glorious Return... 2009/03/26 12:16:42 (permalink)
    Hey... I never noticed the reverb seeming mono... I'll check into that and see if I can do a switch-a-roo on that ... I just used the SonitusFX reverb (acoustic guitar aux preset)... I put up a page from my website with a streaming version of the same mp3:

So you don't have to download the mp3 anymore... if I update, etc... Hopefully I shouldn't need to do too much more...

Only thing I recently did was ran it thru a pass of Boost11 to tame only the highest of high peaks but raise the overall level... I didn't like how I had to put the mp3 player and stereo volume to MAX to get a comfortable level... I must have knocked too much off the volume of the original track...

Thanks for all the listens and suggestions... I'm pretty easy going and usually will always take suggestions to heart, since mostly it just involves a simple mix tweak... Anything to serve the song, eh? ;)

Dave

David Yanofsky

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1