(UPDATED)Remixed and Mastered before sending out

Author
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
2009/03/27 18:42:07 (permalink)

(UPDATED)Remixed and Mastered before sending out

The song is Called Hey Girl. Its the 2nd one on my song list at http://www.soundclick.com/charlesj
Im playing all the instruments (Bass, Guitar, Drums, and synths/keys) and my co-workers son is singing Lead vocal. I just want/need some opinions before i send it to the publishers.
Thanx,
Cj

I just updated it with some of the suggestions i recieved here. I also edited the beginning vocal part a bit.
Cj
post edited by CJaysMusic - 2009/03/29 17:40:03

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog

25 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/27 19:17:31 (permalink)
    I hear lots of distortion in it... the upload might have gone wrong..... the other tunes play OK

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/27 20:45:34 (permalink)
    Cj, as long as I've been up here, well not as long as most of you guys, I haven't seen you post a song. I listen on your page quite a few times. I even PM'd you once. BTW, you didn't answer. Now to the meat. Your soundclick isn't loading for me! I am looking forward to hearing it. I'll keep trying. Well, I can't open any soundclick pages so it must be them!
    post edited by evadianepug - 2009/03/27 20:54:52

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    evadianepug
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/27 23:37:05 (permalink)
    A couple hours later and it still won't come up. Mine and a couple other soundclick pages came up. Just lettin' you know.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/27 23:40:15 (permalink)
    CJ doesn't comment on other peoples music "very often" ;-) And you're lucky if he'll answer you... It's a shame too, because he has much knowledge.
    post edited by robby - 2009/03/27 23:51:19

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 07:14:46 (permalink)
    And you're lucky if he'll answer you...

Its your lucky day then.. The link is up.
    I even PM'd you once. BTW, you didn't answer

I did answer with a message and when i went to send it, it said your box was full and deleted the message. I didnt want to write 3 paragrapghs again at the chance of it bveing full again
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 15:18:28 (permalink)
    The Mix sounds fantastic to me CJ. As much as i try, i can't get my songs to sound as good as this.

great stuff

Mark.
    lackluster strumming
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 15:30:08 (permalink)
    I think the music sound good. The vocals on the other hand sound as if they are just a dude. They don't sound like they are a part of the mix. Maybe a little off axis? Can't quite pin it down. I hope that doesn't ruin it for you. and i hope it helps with the mix.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 17:06:30 (permalink)
    Major distortion on the file CJ, can't listen to it, sorry.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 17:20:50 (permalink)
    Hey Cj,
    What a GREAT production and performance on this piece. Mix sounds super clean, rich and full. I have to agree with Quentin on this one. The lead vox sounds like it was added later and doesn't sit in the same space as the music. Still I wish my mixes sound this good but thats the vibe I'm gettin on my end. FANTATSIC JOB, and thanks for the listen CJ.

LATER
    Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2009/03/28 17:28:24

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

evadianepug
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 17:47:01 (permalink)
    What can I say. I hate that small PM file. I appreciate you trying to answer and I do understand not rewriting that much. Anyway, as always your skills are high!! Mix is clean. There are other songs of yours that i like better (songs themselves) but I do like this one. I'm just at the lead part and I really like that! I would say send it. I'm glad the link is fixed. I can't get over the clean vox at the end. Very nice! That's not your mate singing there is it? Just kidding!

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 19:54:13 (permalink)
    CJ - you're fantastic - killer tune.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 20:08:11 (permalink)
    Charles:

As usual, your recording is superb and your mixes are to die for. The intro is outstanding. Playing is top notch, and the tune is really cool and lowdown.

FWIW: I appreciate the genre mash-up you are going for. But the vocals I just am not getting. And it is not the mix, it is the performance. After listening hard three times I wish I could put my finger on it. Ex:"i wanna be wit chu" answer in the chorus sounds like you are out of breath. Maybe it is the juxtaposition of the pro-sounding recording against the kinda-lazy-hiphop style vocals that just aren't up to the same level. And I have heard enough of your stuff to know you can crank out the pro sounding vox.
    Blurick
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 20:23:32 (permalink)
    I got major distortion on this tune also (unlistenable). All your other tunes play fine (and sound great).

BTW - I just noticed you are a fellow lab geek! I knew there was a reason I liked your stuff lol
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/28 23:57:54 (permalink)
    Hey Girl sounds very distorted. The other songs sound good, though.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 01:39:20 (permalink)
    No distortion here - the mix sounds incredible! Yeah, the vocals sound like they're in a different space than the instruments, but it sounds like that was done for effect and I think it works. The guitar work is fan-freakin-tastic. Just top-notch songwriting and performance all over this one. Nice...

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 02:58:14 (permalink)
    NO distortion (Listened to it on speakers and headphones)

The guitars and drums kicks butt! Holds the song together, a perfectly solid foundation.

The bass is great although it could be a little clearer, but there's nice grungy tone in there that just holds it in the mix but it IMHO the sound can be tightened up a bit.

The vocals are fine but sounds a bit phase'y (sort of chorus'y tone), actually I have the same thing going on with a song I just did recently where the harmony vocal tracks sounds too phase'y and for other reasons (mic placement, technique) I'm gonna have to re-do my vocal tracks again

Here's a suggestion you may or may not want to try with lead vocals: Rec another track add a bit of aggressive character to it a little grunge (throat sound), I did that with my song: "Spirit in You" but for my purpose I did it in a more subtle way and you can hardly notice the double-take is there because it's a very tight performance (no audio-snap used) and blended the levels (between the two lead vox tracks) in such a way it adds to the overall vocal tone and gives it a little more depth without sounding like it's double tracked!! (but it's got to be a really tight-performance). The reason why I suggest this technique is because your song "Hey Girl" has that alternative grunge-sound about it (powerful guitars, rock solid drumming). It's a really cool song. Well done.

Anyway it's your song and it's pretty darn good as is, I think it's one of your best. Good luck! Hope you get that publishing deal.

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 12:14:09 (permalink)
    All right, that's enough.

Last thing we need is a couple of irascible musicians acting all irascible-like...don't we have wives and girlfriends for that sort of thing?
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 12:22:40 (permalink)
    HEY CJ-

well, i'm getting the same weird thing on "Hey Girl"

it's as if the feed is distorting, not the file, because it sounds clean beneath the god awful line of distortion.

maybe it's an encoding thing with soundclick, i don't know, i have a soundclick account as well, and i hate it.

the player is ass.

hey, you could try a YOUSENDIT for downloads, if you don't mind giving away a mp3.....
    then you could encode it as high as you want (i use 320kbps) and it'll sound wonderful...
    just an idea.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 15:33:35 (permalink)
    CJ - I know Robby can be a little... distracting ..but there is a problem with your SC site - that song is still distorting really badly, the others aren't.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 15:37:14 (permalink)
    James, im going to re-up it right now
    Cj

Audio Blog
    davewave
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 15:41:08 (permalink)
    Wow, this thread took a strange turn..

Hey CJ, I have about the same crit as the others.. musically on spot, but the vocal just lacks something.. Just wondering if you gave creative license to your singer or if you guided him to some degree.. Sounds like he is not committed to the vocal at all..

I do dig your space in your recordings.. Haven't been around this forum for a while but I do remember hearing your stuff back then... truly an inspriation for mix and master..

Check out my top of the list song on soundclick... Someone here mentioned it was nearing your style and tone (not intentionally by any means)... any pointers you can provide would be much appreciated..

Later,
    Dave
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 15:44:00 (permalink)
    Its re-uploaded. I hope that works. More suggestion are needed and welcomed, as im working on the final final final master of it... Thanx
    Dave, Ill check it out for sure...
    Cj
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2009/03/29 15:51:28

Audio Blog
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 16:18:34 (permalink)
    It's working now and it sounds great, as does all the stuff on your site! For whatever reason, the drums really stood out (in a good way) for me in that they not only sounded great tone-wise but also sounded like a real performance as opposed to a machine.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 17:14:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Its re-uploaded. I hope that works. More suggestion are needed and welcomed, as im working on the final final final master of it... Thanx
    Dave, Ill check it out for sure...
    Cj

In the past I had the same issue with Soundclick.com on my song, I also noticed this happened to someone else. The strangest thing is some people reported no problems yet others had problems and I never found the cause, a re-upload solved it.

Anyway! I already posted a reply/suggestions to your song (see page one), there was no distortion on the first upload and this upload sounds fine too. Not bad at all for an upload, re-upload, uploaded again final final final final finally finished master

Post edit:
    Oh and another thing..... I've got to remember to turn off the Echo whilst posting on these forums forums forums, there seems to be an echo, echo, echo thingy thingy going on here here here
    post edited by SongCraft - 2009/03/29 17:28:49

CJaysMusic
    RE: Remixed and Mastered before sending out 2009/03/29 17:36:20 (permalink)
    I just remixed it putting the vocals in another space as suggested by many and i also edited the beginning vocs a bit. I cut some words out (less chessy)

Thanx Geeare1
    for me in that they not only sounded great tone-wise but also sounded like a real performance as opposed to a machine.

It was a real performance by me

Songcraft. sound click is funny at times. I hope the problem is solved
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1