Helpful ReplyUSB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
2017/12/04 15:13:44 (permalink)

USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions?

I've pretty much given up on a single box interface with 16 mic pre's.  For whatever reason, they don't seem to exist, unless maybe you have thousands of dollars to blow.  You have to expand using ADAT (or line-out jumpers if using Tascam US-16x08).  Yeah I could do that....or, I could just get a damn mixer with 16 or more mic pre's and USB out and be done with it, in one device.  

I'm looking at Yamaha MGP24X (~$1200) and Mackie 2404 VLZ4 (~$1200)and ProFX22v2 (~$650).   I am open to other models and brands, but I just want to be sure I get decent mic pre's and AD/DA converters.  Those are the most important pieces, to me.  The mixer FX and features are nice, but will mostly go unused for this mixer's life.  It's really all about recording audio - mic pre's and conversion.  

And what about drivers for the USB recording link?  Is any particular brand better or worse about driver support?  Is there a better mixer or solution out there for the money?  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/04 15:22:11 (permalink)
those mackie boards don't allow multitrack recording.  they only record the sum of the inputs to a stereo track.

the yamaha one i don't know about.

Presonus makes several mixers that are actual multitrack recording interfaces.  you should definitely consider them.

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/04 15:52:59 (permalink)
adat IS probably still the best choice.

mixers are limited typically, 
otherwise everyone in the world would use them,
and apparently they don't

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Voda La Void
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/04 16:11:01 (permalink)
BlixYZ
those mackie boards don't allow multitrack recording.  they only record the sum of the inputs to a stereo track.

the yamaha one i don't know about.

Presonus makes several mixers that are actual multitrack recording interfaces.  you should definitely consider them.

Man, I didn't realize that at all.  Totally blows this idea...

My Mackie Onyx 1620 is like 13 years old, I think.  It has a firewire option card and delivers all 16 tracks to the DAW, including 2 more main out tracks.  You can buy them for about 200 bucks on Ebay.  But a brand new one, with way more inputs and features, just main out basically?  Yeah, I did not expect that at all.  

batsbrew

It's a built-in limitation that irritates the hell out of me when planning longer term.  Also, latency is fine when all 16 inputs are going through the same plumbing.  But when one device is hanging off of another one, there HAS to be a variation between the two, and I have no idea how a DAW deals with that. I will have drum inputs (ten) that will occupy both devices...I really don't want to fight trying to figure out why my overheads in device 2 are slightly behind the rest of the kit in device 1.  Or why anything hanging off of device 2 has extra latency and the DAW isn't adjusting for it...

All 16 inputs together, in the same box, and I don't have to worry about it.  Oh wait...except they don't make them for normal salaries.  

I just want to make music...not interested in "working" in the studio anymore, tweaking windows, playing with buffers, setting delays, yanking to sample rates...FFS

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/04 16:13:32 (permalink)
or rather, they use the super expensive ones,
an ADAT would be much cheaper.

look at the RME stuff....

i'd consider the fireface ufx II
http://www.rme-usa.com/fireface-ufx-ii.html

or fireface UC
http://www.rme-usa.com/fireface-uc.html

Paired with a nice digital mixer that can do at least 48khz

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/04 16:35:03 (permalink)
Checkout how this guy is using a Soundcraft mixer for recording, mixing, and analog summing.

https://youtu.be/zScpdyvJ8JA

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/04 23:51:46 (permalink)
The PreSonus III live series mixers just had an update to integrate with the DAW, best of course with Studio One.  All the bells and whistles and a front end as well.  The FX on the board are the same as the program and settings can be migrated easily, as one example of what you can do.
I would imagine the pres are as good as a decent, but average digital mixer.  Probably certainly not as high end as some dedicated pres, but I would think very usable.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/05 01:39:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2017/12/05 02:05:56
I was shopping for the same thing a year ago and chose the Soundcraft Boards because of both features  and reports from Sonar users that the drivers worked!! That's important. 
I was looking at the 12 channel but they make all sizes
And many are only 2 channel USB. So pay attention
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig22MT 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Voda La Void
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/05 19:50:29 (permalink)
Cactus Music
I was shopping for the same thing a year ago and chose the Soundcraft Boards because of both features  and reports from Sonar users that the drivers worked!! That's important. 

Man, that is a nice board.  Exactly what I'm looking for.  And every input has a line-in if you want to use an outboard mic-pre.  Then you still have mixer functions for use outside of the DAW world.  And you aren't the only one who likes those mic pre's.  This board is on the shopping list.

Someone snarled about the "soundcard" in the board...?  You notice anything sub par about it?  

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.  I really do appreciate it.  

Cactus Music
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/05 20:43:26 (permalink)
On the Sweetwater reviews many reported good lower latency performance with the drivers. There was even a review by a Sonar user so that was part of me giving it my top pick. I'm torn between that or a full blown digital mixer like the Behringer X 16 air. But I think I want those controls and not some iPad app.. I'm old fashion. 
For the price point it's miles above the competition. A close one was Presonus but there was a few reasons I ruled it out that I don't recall. WHat I do is just look at the board in the pictures and sort out what it does that way. 
The thing is it seems like it's a perfect studio solution other than it is not a control surface. But you could actually use it as a summing mixer as well because there are multi channel in and out. 

And I have a feeling the built in effexts are better than average. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Dave76
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/06 18:32:03 (permalink)
I've been thinking about this same thing lately. I use a Behringer XR18 in my band's rehearsal space as a live mixer and the thing is really nice (somewhat surprisingly given the brand). It has a full blown 18-in/18-out USB interface with ASIO drivers. I haven't quite stressed the USB in the same way as with a studio interface but I've used it for recording rehearsals, virtual soundchecks, etc. and it has been flawless so far (usually using Waves Tracks Live). I also played around a little with using it with SONAR as a live VST host running an electric guitar direct into the mixer then USB into a SONAR track with TH3 on it and then back out over USB to the mixer channel. That worked flawlessly as well and with decently low latency. 

The downside for the XR18 is that the preamps, etc. are "budget" quality. However, they have a Midas branded version of the box -- the MR18 -- that has upgraded Midas pro quality preamps, etc.. I suspect it would make a pretty nice studio interface. 

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/06 18:41:19 (permalink)
I'm not really a Presonus fanboy. I have to say this though. I think they have the best integrated mixer/interface setup for the medium to larger studio to date.

At the bottom of their line is this. It has a built in sd card recorder and bluetooth PLUS a multi channel usb interface. It goes up from there to motorized faders scene recall and plugin sharing with SO3. 

Bottom of the line

Moving further up the line

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/06 19:17:24 (permalink)
Dave76
The downside for the XR18 is that the preamps, etc. are "budget" quality. However, they have a Midas branded version of the box -- the MR18 -- that has upgraded Midas pro quality preamps, etc.. I suspect it would make a pretty nice studio interface. 

I have the XR-18 and the Preamps are "Midas Designed".  They sound nice.  I do wish I would have waited for the Midas branded one, but I had my XR18 a full year before it shipped.  This is my first dance with a digital mixer and the routing takes a while to wrap your head around.

I had the Mackie 1640 before that (The one with 16 channels firewire).  I got $400.00 for mine.  Guess I got a good deal.  It was $1500.00 new (sigh).

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
GaryMedia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 217
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/07 16:12:06 (permalink)
batsbrew

I think the major issues with home recording using mixer/interfaces is the scale of requirements. If just two or three people are concurrently recording, then a typical 8-channel interface and some work within the DAW to handle headphone mixes is fine.  When there's a 5 or 6 person band, especially when there's a drummer, then a mixer really shines as a better approach to realtime monitoring for headphone mixes, metronome distribution, and managing multiple playback speaker pairs. 

The cost point for ever-higher input channel counts and a nice set of effects in a mixer has now solidly stepped into the range of traditional interfaces.  I write this from the high channel count perspective of using a Midas M32 for my interface.  As I read the OP's requirements, the first product that made sense to me for his requirements is the Midas MR18.  

If you're happy with software-based controls, as you would generally be using with a traditional interface, then there's plenty of function and quality to be had in the MR18, and you're not paying for a built-in display screen and motorized faders. 

I read though some other posts in this thread (too lazy to build a second/specific response) and would like to point out that the additional latency through an ADAT preamp into an interface is typically in the range of 15 to 50 samples depending on the product.  To cite some specific examples, I had been using the ADAT output of one of my Audient ASP800's and tech support confirmed that the XMOS had 2-samples of delay, and the PCM4204 chip had 37-samples for a total of 39.  My ART TubeOpto 8 has 32-samples delay in A-to-D function, and 22-samples delay in D-to-A.  With that data you can convert to specific values of fractions of a millisecond depending on your sample rate. 

As for whether the Behringer preamps are 'budget' preamps, it's a fact that the quality of Behringer's new products hasn't been able to fully insulate them from shame of some of its long-ago sins in the audio world.  My website shows some specific test results that compare a few performance aspects of the X32 preamps to the M32 preamps.  Overall, the essential message is that you can make a good recording with the X32 preamps as represented across their newer (XR18, etc) product line.  I admit that part of my decision to move from the X32 to the M32 included the weighting factor of the brand-sensitivity of my clients.  Nevertheless I regularly encounter X32 products in live venue situations, and I'm absolutely happy to use them because I know that I can get good recorded results. 

As I wrap this up (my oatmeal is getting cold) let the record show (ha ha) that I've also done both live and studio recordings with the PreSonus mixer/interfaces.  If I was choosing a mixer/interface today, the short list (in alphabetical order) would include the Behringer, Midas, PreSonus, and Soundcraft product lines.

Enjoy the process.

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
http://www.tedlandstudio.com/articles
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/07 16:23:22 (permalink)
I would agree with you Gary on the older stuff. The X32 is still a strong contender. The new Presonus Series 3 you may not have tried. Both are great.

I see it this way. Many here on the forum buy both an audio interface and a tactile software controller. Then they proceed to integrate everything into their setup. 
An alternate plan would be to buy it all in one unit and have the added luxury of software made for it. This is why I'm considering that option.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Dave76
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/07 18:38:59 (permalink)
By "budget", I'm just pointing out the fact that the major price differentiating factor for the X Air series versus the M Air series is the quality of the preamps as well as ADDA converters. Beyond that, they are pretty close to identical units with different branding. I don't have experience with the MR18 but my understanding is that you get a noticeably lower noise floor versus the XR18 which would be of benefit for the studio. I believe the same applies for the X32/M32 series but those product lines diverge a bit more in some other ways. I'm more than happy with the XR18 and its preamps/converters for my purposes. I just can't vouch for how that translates over to the studio.
Voda La Void
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/07 20:11:02 (permalink)
GaryMedia
I think the major issues with home recording using mixer/interfaces is the scale of requirements. If just two or three people are concurrently recording, then a typical 8-channel interface and some work within the DAW to handle headphone mixes is fine.  When there's a 5 or 6 person band, especially when there's a drummer, then a mixer really shines as a better approach to realtime monitoring for headphone mixes, metronome distribution, and managing multiple playback speaker pairs.  

In my case, the requirements boil down to permanently setting up recording chains with the least hassle for the best quality, for a broke a** musician working solo.   Live drums, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, vocals and eventually cello.  I want it set up, ready to record when I feel like it, any instrument, at any time.  

The least hassle means *not* playing with ADAT expansion interfaces.  I really wish that could work, but I can't seem to find any information on how latency is handled with two devices with different processing times.  I've scoured the web for articles, and they get really close, but they never really touch on the point I'm after.  So, I gave up asking and researching and said "f**k it, I'll buy a mixer with at least 16 mic pre inputs and be done with it".  

GaryMedia
If I was choosing a mixer/interface today, the short list (in alphabetical order) would include the Behringer, Midas, PreSonus, and Soundcraft product lines.

I do really like that MR18 you mentioned.  Not sure if the Soundcraft compares in quality or not, but for a couple hundred more I can get hardware control of the board, which I'd really prefer if I'm going to have a mixer.  I can see me inventing new cuss words working with a wireless tablet control solution...

Studio Vheissu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/08 16:57:31 (permalink)
I recently started to use a Behringer X-32 and it works fine as an audio card so long as you don't need more than 44.1 kHz. The mic pres are Midas so no problems there.
rsinger
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/08 19:46:07 (permalink)
Voda La Void

In my case, the requirements boil down to permanently setting up recording chains with the least hassle for the best quality, for a broke a** musician working solo.   Live drums, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, vocals and eventually cello.  I want it set up, ready to record when I feel like it, any instrument, at any time.  

Do you need multiple inputs for that? I play guitar synth so I have both a mixer and sub-mixer. I have various synths and guitar synths going into my mixer. Since I'm only recording myself I don't need multiple inputs - I just have 4 inputs in my audio IF and the mixer goes into that (and a line in from a guitar amp). Everything is setup - I just move faders on the mixer up and down depending on what synth or processor I want to record. 

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/08 20:12:34 (permalink)
I highly recommend the Soundcraft MTK series.

I will write more when I get to my computer. This phone is a nightmare.

Sonar Platinum
Voda La Void
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/08 20:24:50 (permalink)
rsinger
Voda La Void

Do you need multiple inputs for that? I play guitar synth so I have both a mixer and sub-mixer. I have various synths and guitar synths going into my mixer. Since I'm only recording myself I don't need multiple inputs - I just have 4 inputs in my audio IF and the mixer goes into that (and a line in from a guitar amp). Everything is setup - I just move faders on the mixer up and down depending on what synth or processor I want to record. 

Oh, absolutely.  10 mics for drums.  2 mics for acoustic guitar.  1 mic for vocals.  1 input each for bass and electric guitar from DI boxes that use mic level inputs (like the Palmer).  Each of them will have their own gain levels, of course, set.  I do this right now with my 1620 but it's messy and uses a lot of outboard mic pre's to feed line level inputs since I only have 8 mic pre's on it.  I just un-mute the channels associated with whatever instrument I'm recording.

What I'm trying to do now is clean all this up and take a step into the modern world because my DAW and mixer are old and wearing out.  

Another thing that makes permanently setup recording chains a little more necessary is that I write more in sections now, as opposed to whole songs at once.  Used to...I would write the whole song (guitar and vocals) and *then* go to record, basically shoehorning bass and percussion at that point - and record all of an instrument's parts at one go.  I did about 6 album's worth of crap like that.  

Nowadays...I'm way more into the instrumentation, not just vocals over backing music, and I want more out of each instrument, so I write in sections, doing each instrument to complete a section, if you will.  So I need the sounds of these instruments to be very consistent so it doesn't change throughout the song. 

Plus, it's awesome to just sit down, push a couple buttons, and you're set. Man...it's almost like being *just* a musician...for a time.  

GaryMedia
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/09 14:05:12 (permalink)
Studio Vheissu
I recently started to use a Behringer X-32 and it works fine as an audio card so long as you don't need more than 44.1 kHz. The mic pres are Midas so no problems there.

My X32 worked fine at 44.1k and 48k.  Because of video work, I always used it at 48k.  What have you encountered that made 44.1k your preference?   Also, there was a firestorm of discussion and vitriol about the difference between the 'real' Midas preamps of the M-series, and the 'Midas-designed' preamps of the X-series.  That's why I did my series of articles on the issues and measured/documented the differences.  

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
GaryMedia
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/09 14:23:56 (permalink)
Voda La Void

In my case, ....

The least hassle means *not* playing with ADAT expansion interfaces.  I really wish that could work, but I can't seem to find any information on how latency is handled with two devices with different processing times.  I've scoured the web for articles, and they get really close, but they never really touch on the point I'm after. ... I can see me inventing new cuss words working with a wireless tablet control solution...

Yes, you'd probably be happier with physical controls or with using the PC-based control functions (also supported).

I'm not sure what information you need about "how latency is handled with two devices with different processing times".  If you mean you're not sure about how ADAT delay affects the overall latency picture of the interface into which it is connected, then the answer is that it adds 15-to-50 samples of delay on the way in, depending on the product, which means between 1/3 of a millisecond to a full millisecond.  The remaining ASIO latency of the audio interface works as normal, and the ADAT device is not independently visible; it's just an expansion of the number of available inputs (and sometimes outputs) as seen by the DAW.

The 1/3-millisecond to 1-millisecond conversion delay translates into the same effect as moving a microphone 4-to-11 inches from the source. For your 10-channel drum setup, if 8 channels of the drum set come in via ADAT and 2 channels of the drum set come in via the native microphone ports of the interface, then it's as if the ADAT-connected microphones are slightly further away. If you choose (for example) floor-toms or the room pair as the 2 "oddball" inputs, then there's nothing that should create a concern regarding the coherence of the drum recording. 

Does that answer the point you were after?

Voda La Void
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/09 14:41:53 (permalink)
GaryMedia
Voda La Void

In my case, ....

The least hassle means *not* playing with ADAT expansion interfaces.  I really wish that could work, but I can't seem to find any information on how latency is handled with two devices with different processing times.  I've scoured the web for articles, and they get really close, but they never really touch on the point I'm after. ... I can see me inventing new cuss words working with a wireless tablet control solution...

Yes, you'd probably be happier with physical controls or with using the PC-based control functions (also supported).

I'm not sure what information you need about "how latency is handled with two devices with different processing times".  If you mean you're not sure about how ADAT delay affects the overall latency picture of the interface into which it is connected, then the answer is that it adds 15-to-50 samples of delay on the way in, depending on the product, which means between 1/3 of a millisecond to a full millisecond.  The remaining ASIO latency of the audio interface works as normal, and the ADAT device is not independently visible; it's just an expansion of the number of available inputs (and sometimes outputs) as seen by the DAW.

The 1/3-millisecond to 1-millisecond conversion delay translates into the same effect as moving a microphone 4-to-11 inches from the source. For your 10-channel drum setup, if 8 channels of the drum set come in via ADAT and 2 channels of the drum set come in via the native microphone ports of the interface, then it's as if the ADAT-connected microphones are slightly further away. If you choose (for example) floor-toms or the room pair as the 2 "oddball" inputs, then there's nothing that should create a concern regarding the coherence of the drum recording. 

Does that answer the point you were after?

Yes, that's precisely the point I was after, thanks!  

It sounds like it's important to be sure the latency of the expansion is the same as the native interface - so if they are the same make and model, paired up via ADAT then it doesn't sound like there would be any issues, really. That's really good to know. But if the expansion is some other brand and model, therefore different circuitry and processing times, than the native interface, then I could run into issues, I'm assuming.  

I guess I was hoping the DAW might calculate latency by input and compensate, rather than a global calculation for the interface as a whole.  I guess not.  

I know that's all kind of down in the weeds, but I get hung up on things like this...thanks for the information.  I feel better about going ADAT if I have to, now.  

GaryMedia
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/09 15:45:20 (permalink)
Voda La Void

It sounds like it's important to be sure the latency of the expansion is the same as the native interface -....

Nope! 

The ADAT expansion only has to conform to normal ADAT protocol. It's not model or brand-specific at all!  You can freely mix and match ADAT devices with any hardware.  For example, I have attached a Mackie BlackBird to an Apogee Quartet, an Audient ASP800 to a Behringer X-ADAT, an ART TubeOpto to an Echo Audio Pre8, the Audient ASP800 to the Echo Audio Pre8, and the ART TubeOpto to the Behringer X-ADAT.  Everything works fine. 

While the ASP800, the BlackBird and the TubeOpto have different conversion latency values, these values are small enough to be of no consequence, especially considering the relatively higher latency of the audio interface to which they are connected.  For example, the Echo Pre8 was usually run in live recording situations with a 512 sample buffer, yielding an input latency in excess of 10-milliseconds.  The additional 1/2 millisecond of the TubeOpto was of no concern.  
post edited by GaryMedia - 2017/12/09 16:19:53

Cactus Music
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/09 16:31:49 (permalink)
Nowadays...I'm way more into the instrumentation, not just vocals over backing music, and I want more out of each instrument, so I write in sections, doing each instrument to complete a section, if you will.  So I need the sounds of these instruments to be very consistent so it doesn't change throughout the song. 

That is an important and very solid reason to go for a system that has enough inputs. 
I don't record live drums in my studio, For that I use my laptop and record elsewhere. 
But I'll use my Yamaha 01v which I have saved scenes for each band I've ever recorded or played in. 

My studio set up I have only 6 channels but that's all I need and I don't have to swap out cables. Vocal mike, Guitar amp mike, Bass and acoustic DI's.
I also have the Yamaha 01v and use the SPDIF and that has weird things like my Korg 05/rw,
Roland 505 , DTX drum analog out and I can use it for miking my acoustic guitar or a DI from my Blackstar amp and odd's and ends. So those 16 into 2 SPDIF channels come in handy. 
 I use a little mixer to monitor everything. 

My 01v is real old and living on borrowed time therefore my quest for a replacement. I would also use the new mixer live so I need effects. 

So I'm a big fan of leaving everything set up and ready to go.
I then have track templates for each of these inputs.
I can set up a project in less than a minute and be recording an idea. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Voda La Void
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/09 17:32:50 (permalink)
GaryMedia
Voda La Void

It sounds like it's important to be sure the latency of the expansion is the same as the native interface -....

Nope! 

The ADAT expansion only has to conform to normal ADAT protocol. It's not model or brand-specific at all!  You can freely mix and match ADAT devices with any hardware.  For example, I have attached a Mackie BlackBird to an Apogee Quartet, an Audient ASP800 to a Behringer X-ADAT, an ART TubeOpto to an Echo Audio Pre8, the Audient ASP800 to the Echo Audio Pre8, and the ART TubeOpto to the Behringer X-ADAT.  Everything works fine. 

While the ASP800, the BlackBird and the TubeOpto have different conversion latency values, these values are small enough to be of no consequence, especially considering the relatively higher latency of the audio interface to which they are connected.  For example, the Echo Pre8 was usually run in live recording situations with a 512 sample buffer, yielding an input latency in excess of 10-milliseconds.  The additional 1/2 millisecond of the TubeOpto was of no concern.  

So, are all of these boxes that close in latency?  

If expansion device B takes 16ms to process input audio and send it to the ADAT link to native device A, with a 10ms interface latency such as yours above, then wouldn't that produce a 6ms delay from any input in device B? 

Maybe that's not a real world scenario.  And that's great, if so.  I just assumed all these boxes were wildly different.  

GaryMedia
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/09 20:08:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2017/12/10 14:17:41
The real-world numbers are all under 1-millisecond latency.

As I mentioned in previous posts about the two boxes for which I had firm numbers, the 'slowest' box I have is the Audient ASP800 at 39 samples.  At 48-khz, that's 0.8125-milliseconds or 13/16ths of a millisecond.  The ART TubeOpto 8 is 32-samples delay in A/D conversion which is 0.666-milliseconds or 2/3rds of a millisecond.

Re-read post my post #14 in this thread for additional details.  

Voda La Void
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/14 20:29:22 (permalink)
Cactus Music

I forgot to ask you about zero latency monitoring on this board.  I see it has a headphones jack, but does the driver software let you mute the recording playback so you can monitor at the board with zero latency?  

So far, I haven't really been too worried about latency since I figured that would always be resolved by monitoring at the interface.  And, I generally never record tracks with plug-ins engaged and all that.  Just raw audio mostly.  

Cactus Music
Re: USB Mixer as Audio Interface - Suggestions? 2017/12/15 00:49:09 (permalink)
The term Zero latency is a term applied to all audio interfaces that allow you to monitor the input directly before it passes through the A/D converters. 
It is misused as people see it and think wow that audio interface must be good because it has zero latency! 
Of course it's zero, it's the same analog output that's been there since they first built an audio mixer. 

This is then mixed with the playback from your DAW. This is where a good ASIO driver is needed to adjust the timing offset to match perfectly the latency in the system. System latency or  Round trip latency,  is the figure that varies from interface to interface. 
I didn't purchase the Soundcraft board yet, I just picked it as the best of the lot for my needs to replace my old 01V. 
It's not a high priority as the 01v still works but the day will come I would think, that it will die an ugly digital death. 

So even without using it I can safely say you'll have proper monitoring and the drivers are reported to be working with Sonar and many other DAW's without issue. I would guess it will perform at least as good as the 2 interfaces I use right now. If one wants better performance then we are talking much more $$ per channel. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1