USB keyboard controller

Author
kellog
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2005/09/27 15:15:03 (permalink)

USB keyboard controller

I need a portable keyboard controller and was wondering if anyone has experience with these.

Alesis Photon 25 USB/MIDI Keyboard Controller,

M-Audio O2 USB MIDI Controller,

and E-MU’s Xboard 25 USB/MIDI Controller.

The E-MU comes with sounds. Quality? Which one???

Thanks,

kellog

6 Replies Related Threads

bluezguy
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: USB keyboard controller 2005/09/28 15:19:01 (permalink)
    Greetings,

I too, a few days ago, had the same question and came to the conclusion that none of our illustrious team players seem to think that my or your question is of much importance.

You should include the EDIROL PCR 1 in your list for around $150 bucks U.S.

I need one of these gadgets to input acoustic drums for my purposes with Sonar Producer....an awesome piece of software from FXpansion called BFD. For me, the most important features required are that the keyboard is very velocity sensitive with good, solid feel. I also need a 2 octave board for basic horn section work.

I never got to demo an Alesis in my area, but I did get to try the EMU Xboard 25 and the EDIROL PCR 1. Either one for me would be great!!! I think the EMU will win because it's onboard sounds are great...did you ever hear a Proteus 2000 before???

I'm bringing it home from Sam Ash in Tampa tonight and will do my thing...if I don't like it, there's a 14 day return policy and then I'll grab the Edirol PCR 1.

No matter what, for the price of these things, it'll be a win/win situation.

I'll post a report in a few days. Hope this helps.

Tricone

OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: USB keyboard controller 2005/09/29 13:45:57 (permalink)
    I bought an M-Audio Oxygen8 25-key USB keyboard. It has been a great keyboard, but I highly recommend buying one with at least 49 or 61 keys. 25 is just not enough for most things. My next keyboard will be a full 88 keys. They are not that much more expensive, although they are less portable. But a 49 is a good compromise of functionality and portability.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    kellog
    RE: USB keyboard controller 2005/09/29 20:58:16 (permalink)
    Thanks guys - yeah, I was wondering about that. I have an old 61 key Roland D-10 I use most of the time. It's two States away now, and I was just wanting something to use for sketch work in project five with my notebook. I just ordered Sonar five (up from 2-XL for me) and Project-5. Dang that's a lot of cash, but then I look forward to having lots of fun too. It seems the Alesis may be the better quality build - each one has something - but yeah, maybe 49 keys is more reasonable. Thanks for your feedback. I'd love to hear what you think of your new mini rig bluezguy.

Best to you,

kellog
    bluezguy
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: USB keyboard controller 2005/10/07 16:19:43 (permalink)
    kellog,

My new EMU Xboard 25 is awesome.
    It's a very user-friendly piece of equipment. I bought it to input 'drums only' into my Sonar P4 stuff and since I didn't want drum pads, I was concerned with a very nice actioned keyboard. They weren't kidding...the keyboard is the nicest velocity-sensitive small board out there!
    I configured a drum map in Sonar and with one setting change on the EMU, I was 'drumming' away.
    Furthermore, I don't need the software they give you for free because I already have it BUT the Proteus sounds supplied are every bit as good as my rackmount Proteus 2000 which I paid close to $450.00 a few years ago.
    When I called EMU's tech support, the experience was great...a human answered instantly and told me they were the identical sounds of the Proteus 2000.
    Scores a 10/10 for me...now I gotta start learning what the rest of this MIDI stuff is all about

Tricone

kellog
    RE: USB keyboard controller 2005/10/09 02:31:12 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks for the report. I'm looking into one now with 49 keys - same basic deal. I still haven't had time to see if I could find any locally to check out. Great to hear from another user. I'm in the middle of moving, but there is always time to buy more gear.

Thanks again,

kellog
    Duojet
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1413
    RE: USB keyboard controller 2005/10/10 10:02:03 (permalink)
    i bought the maudio oxygen. i would recommend that over the o2. the o2 has really weird, shallow action on the keys since its so thin. you might also want to look at edirol if you want to use x64, they seem to have slot of driver support.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1