Unable to open audio playback device - advice needed please

Author
jimmyion
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2011/02/02 13:35:01 (permalink)

Unable to open audio playback device - advice needed please

Hi guys,
im currently running sonar 8.0.2, and have recorded about 5 full audio tracks turned of the computer and when the pc was turned back on i tried to play these tracks through sonar and this error message appeared.

"Unable to open audio playback device. Device may not the support the current projects audio format or may be in use"

I have no idea why this message has been shown to me, and any information people may be able to give as to helping me solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. No settings on the drivers or the audio interface have been changed and every other project works fine apart from these 5 full recorded tracks.

cheers, Jim.

5 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device - advice needed please 2011/02/02 13:50:32 (permalink)
    what soundcard (same thing as audio interface) are you using?  what driver mode?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jimmyion
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device - advice needed please 2011/02/02 13:52:20 (permalink)
    the soundcard is a nVidia and using a roland 6/6 channel audio interface, and what do you mean by driver mode? Its been working fine on other projects

thanks 
    jim
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device - advice needed please 2011/02/02 13:57:46 (permalink)
    Did you do the normal, obvious, checkings in Options-dialogue even though you know you did not deliberately change anything? Sometimes the drivers get disabled by themselves.

Also check that the sample rate is the same in your soundcard and SONAR.

It would be good to have your PC- and soundcard specs attached in your signature or elsewhere.
    There are several possible answers depending on your gear, but I don't have the energy to start that endless " IF you have this and that it's possible that...".

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device - advice needed please 2011/02/02 13:59:26 (permalink)
    jim - I know you already said it's been working fine in other projects.  but something's wrong now which could be just a matter of what got the computer's attention first if you have the settings set up so that either will be available.  in the past it was the way you wanted it to work, today it came up differently.

are you using the nvidia onboard soundcard AND the roland?  and what model roland is that exactly?  remember we need as many details as you can give us.

if you don't know what driver mode you're using then you're using the default setting which is WDM and WDM allows more than one soundcard to operate at a time.  that could be the problem.

usually this message comes up when you have a sampling rate mismatch for the project verses the soundcard that is being used for playback/recording. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jimmyion
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device - advice needed please 2011/02/02 14:10:42 (permalink)
    The roland is now is my default and the exact spec is :edirol audio capture FA-66, and the driver mode im using is ASIO. Ive checked sample rates

You guys help has proved to solve the problem, and i would like to thank you for your time and advice

Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1