Unable to open audio playback device

Author
Larifari
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2010/08/01 19:26:25 (permalink)

Unable to open audio playback device

Hi to all the friendly souls reading this message!

I have Sonar 8.5 and I just bought a Power Studio 660, hoping to end all my troubles with Sonar.

I installed the Win7 drivers (32-bit) and they installed fine, but Sonar already started out with some error messages about incompatible hardware, which I chose to ignore (after all I'm using a SONAR interface now) and clicked on "use anyway". I even uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them, just to make sure and I didn't get any error messages starting Sonar after that.

Now, when I load one of the demo projects, only the MIDI demos work, but not the ones with wave audio. I'm always getting the above message ( Unable to open audio playback device).

I tried changing the sample rate on the interface (from 96 to 48 and 41) but it doesn't help.

I disabled the onboard soundcard to avoid any conflicts.

I checked " share drivers with other programs". in the audio options. I closed Sonar after every change and restarted, but that doesn't make any difference.

What else is there to try?

Obviously, there seems to be a conflict with the sample rates, but I cannot change it in audio options. It only accepts 96k and I get an error message saying the driver will only allow 96K.

I can play the soft synths, which I'm pretty happy about, but I need to know what the issue is with the demo projects or I'll DIE!

Hope you can help!

Thanks!

5 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device 2010/08/01 20:26:53 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with that software/hardware but for sure the sampling rate on the interface will have to match the project sampling rate. If there was a problem with different rates when it started up then the audio interface may not be enabled. Check your software's audio options/drivers to make sure your audio device is listed and has a check mark next to it indicating it is enabled.

What driver mode are you using? ASIO? WDM/KS? MME?
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device 2010/08/01 20:43:11 (permalink)
    Try shutting down Sonar, then turning off the interface, change the rate to 48, then turn it back on. Restart Sonar, and then go to options audio and set to 48.
    What happens?

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    Larifari
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device 2010/08/01 21:43:22 (permalink)
    Thank you for your response.

My interface is enabled. As I stated in my original message, I am able to play the MIDI instruments (Dimension, Rapture, etc) no problem via the Sonar Power Studio Firewire interface. The interface mode is ASIO.

Thank you for caring!
    Larifari
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device 2010/08/01 21:46:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice!

As I said in my message, I DID try all sampling rates (even restarting after every change) but i will not let me change the sampling rate!!!

Try shutting down Sonar, then turning off the interface, change the rate to 48, then turn it back on. Restart Sonar, and then go to options audio and set to 48.
    What happens?

Brian

Try shutting down Sonar, then turning off the interface, change the rate to 48, then turn it back on. Restart Sonar, and then go to options audio and set to 48. What happens?

reader1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 605
    Re:Unable to open audio playback device 2010/08/02 08:30:45 (permalink)
    read your post at
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2065865

I think I sove it at #3

check box, audio- advance-always open all devices

Where is Chinatowns?
    For sell: solar cell; led; sound level meters; glasses, stationery.
    Offer: chemical industry design; consultant.  dsp board.
    kinds of instruments.  Offer music services.
    look for cooperators in making movies, tv, art craft.
    Design web site, 3D, outsourcing and 3d sound.
    --
    Wonderful music made by Sonar. Sonar is one of good software to produce magnificent music. We are getting use to it
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1