Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2010/06/11 15:56:12 (permalink)

Unauthorized PayPal charge

Hi-

Has anyone else ever had one of these? I got an email receipt for an $850 payment for an iPad which of course I never ordered. The shipping address was "Unconfirmed", which is what I guess flagged it for PayPal.

My account was restricted until I verified some info, changed my password, etc., and they're investigating it.

I've used PayPal for years and never had a problem, but this has me shook up a bit. I guess if they resolve it quickly that speaks well for their diligence, but the fact that my account could be accessed by a stranger in the first place makes me nervous.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to clear this up. All digits crossed it goes smoothly.

Any similar experiences, or do you stay away from PayPal?

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 16:03:41 (permalink)
Susan G
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 16:16:01 (permalink)
Hi slartabastfast-

Sorry, I meant personal experiences. I don't "know" the folks who posted those horror stories, so I figured I check here as well. Sometimes I get a different perspective.

Thanks-

-Susan

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 16:35:05 (permalink)
susan, I get emails like this all the time, but they're fishing emails, not really from paypal.  are you certain that this is real?

go directly to paypal.com and sign in, don't click on anything in an email.  then check your account there.  if there's not been a charge to your account there, then you've got a fishing email.  if you didn't click on any links or enter any passwords or anything into a website that you clicked through, then you don't have a problem.

if, however, there really is a charge on your REAL paypal acct, then you need to contact them ASAP and even your bank if it's tied to your bank acct.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Susan G
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 16:48:55 (permalink)
Hi Reece-

Yes, this was definitely for real, and they contacted me about it, saying my account was restricted due to a possible unauthorized payment. I had to change my password and confirm a security code via phone before I could access my account again.

They've contacted the seller requesting more info about the transaction.

Thanks-

-Susan

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 16:50:18 (permalink)
Yes Beagle speaks truth.

Phishing emails come out like this...they scare you and say you've been hacked or like this one, a charge that they spotted..... they give you a link to "change your log in info & password" ASAP.... and before you have a chance to turn around and set down, they have hacked into your real account using the OLD PW & info which you just supplied to them, and then they do the real damage.

A buddy of mine, a missionary was hacked on his Gmail account in this manner. then the slime balls sent emails to ALL his address book claiming to be him, stuck in Nigeria with a huge hotel bill, no money and no ticket home..... send money ASAP via WESTERN UNION.      I spotted the tell tale signs and contacted him via another way.... but one of our mutual friends was about to head to teh bank and WU to wire the money asked for which was hundreds of US dollars. I stopped him in time....

Don't fall for this...and if you did reply to it.... contact any linked banks and PayPal ASAP...like NOW!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Beagle
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 16:51:33 (permalink)
that's good that they found it, then.  I have not had anything like this happen for real, just the fishing emails.

do you have any idea how they actually charged your account without your password?  that's scary!

Susan G
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 17:06:56 (permalink)
do you have any idea how they actually charged your account without your password? that's scary

No, and of course that's what has me concerned as well. I used PayPal a couple days ago to order something from Newegg, and this all happened within 24 hours of that. Maybe it's the 3rd-party thing that screwed me up, I don't know. I also don't know if I'm comfortable entering credit card info directly online at this point!

Thank goodness PayPal requires confirmed Shipping as well as Billing addresses -- some places don't, and something like this could have slipped by me for days.

It really does make me nervous, though.

-Susan

Beagle
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 17:13:36 (permalink)
no doubt!

I would personally be concerned that there could be a virus on your computer which records your keystrokes and sends it to someone.  that would account for this happening within 24 hours of your order placed at newegg. 

Susan G
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 17:51:07 (permalink)
I would personally be concerned that there could be a virus on your computer which records your keystrokes and sends it to someone.

Well, I always have avast! running, but I suppose anything's possible! I'm doing a full system scan now.

The imagination runs wild... I guess there's no point in rushing around to change all my passwords if they're just being mailed off to someone... guess I shouldn't use them at all... I'll just sit here quietly...

Aargh!

-Susan

Susan G
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 20:57:36 (permalink)
avast! completed with no threats found, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Do I panic and start removing all traces of me on the Internet?

-Susan

Guitarhacker
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 21:19:32 (permalink)
no..... the thing I would do....

change your passwords at all the important sites like online banking and sites that involve money and credit. Then work down to the lesser sites.

It's not a bad idea to change PW every 6 months..... my bank server requires it.

If the computer is kept at home... there is really not  a lot of danger in writing down the PW in a notebook and use a different PW for every site.

I have a habit of preferring a phone call to give a CC for a purchase rather than enter it in a web site .... if that is an option. 

I had a nasty experience of having my CC number hijacked at MIA as I was leaving the country for a mission trip. They caught someone trying to buy a $1500 item from a retailer in  California, and froze my account. (outside my normal activity pattern)  All my transactions in Argentina went through. When I got back I had to verify one by one the things I had purchased. I had informed them that I was going to Argentina by way of MIA. I think my number was grabbed at MIA when someone rolled my number claiming the swiper was down..... in a book store. 

I refuse to buy any item now where they want to roll my card.... motels still take the impression and that bugs the tar out of me.

BMI/NSAI

Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 22:00:21 (permalink)
Susan the guys here at the University run a few different sweeps on PCs MALWAREBYTES is the one they use the most, plus SPYBOT S&D, it seems some trojans evade the usual AV software
both of those programs are freeware

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/11 23:53:35 (permalink)
Susan, I haven't had this happen, but have had an experience of someone not delivering an item I'd purchased on eBay.  If this is any comfort to you, PayPal's customer support folks were wonderful, helping me get everything worked out - including getting my money back.  And best of all, I worked with them over the phone in realtime.  I hope they'll do the same for you.

Susan G
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/12 00:16:59 (permalink)
Hi guys-

I just ran Spybot S&D (thanks for that, musicman100! Malwarebytes wanted me to sign up for a "free" offer or purchase with PayPal, of all things!). It identified a "DoubleClick" cookie which, depending on who you ask might or might not be awful. It looked awful enough to me, so I removed it.

It was identified as an Internet Explorer cookie, which is a little weird since I use FF, but maybe the browser doesn't matter. Anyway, it's gone.

I don't know how I'll know if that was the source of the problem, but I guess time will tell after I change my passwords (again).

@Russell: That's encouraging. I didn't see a phone# for them, but I was doing several things at once, so I'll check again.

Thanks, as always!

-Susan

Guitarhacker
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/12 09:43:38 (permalink)
run the scans often.

My CA just turned up a few false positives..... I talked with 2 tech support depts on the chat...and it was determined that the new CA update, which has a higher bar for detecting "similar code" was the issue. I was instructed how to get around this issue....

But,,, the point is.... scan often and catch the little buggers before that get a chance to do damage ..... if they are the malicious type. In my case, the code was legitimate. Many apps use code that do the same thing as viruses do...like accessing memory and disk locations that are reserved for system functions, that are however legitimate.

BMI/NSAI

Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/12 10:24:34 (permalink)
Susan G

Hi guys-

I just ran Spybot S&D (thanks for that, musicman100! Malwarebytes wanted me to sign up for a "free" offer or purchase with PayPal, of all things!). It identified a "DoubleClick" cookie which, depending on who you ask might or might not be awful. It looked awful enough to me, so I removed it.
Susan here is a CNET link to D/L the MALWAREBYTES free version http://download.cnet.com/...subj=dl&tag=button I didnt see that paypal/sign up thing

the free version works well BTW

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Susan G
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/14 00:40:19 (permalink)
Hi musicman100-

That link worked fine, thanks! I'll run another scan with it now.

Update: PayPal sent me an e-mail saying (essentially) they've reimbursed my account. Yay! I'm going to follow up with them to see what more I can find out about what happened.

Thanks again, all!

-Susan

philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/14 01:08:36 (permalink)
Susan, you've already received some great advice here, and I'm happy to second about everything that's been said.  I also use Spybot.  However, The phishing email guys have developed their game to practically an art form.  I got one from Chase a few weeks ago that was incredibly authentic looking.  The giveaway was that I haven't had an account with those predatory bastards in about 5 years. 

Rt. click the email, and select properties if you use an email client and look at the details or source, to see who sent it and what path it followed (how many hops and where).  If in doubt... call the bank or vendor before following any links or (worse still) opening any attachments.
Susan G
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/14 01:15:10 (permalink)
Hi Phil-

Thanks, and you're right about phishing being very sophisticated these days, but there's no doubt that in this case it was all authentic communication re my account from PayPal.

Fortunately, my account's been reimbursed (see above)!

Thanks again-

-Susan

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/14 04:45:22 (permalink)
Do you / Did you use the same password, or a very similar one, on some other site (now or years ago)? If there's been a data-theft somewhere, where you've used the same password, then Paypal is the first place where the thieves try when they find out any persons passwords.

I recently changed my password on Paypal and some other sites due to a data-theft in a big finnish discussion forum. I didn't even remember my password there anymore, but being afraid it could be the same as at Paypal,  I changed them.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/14 08:08:06 (permalink)

Do I panic and start removing all traces of me on the Internet?

Sounds like you're still on Win XP. What OS are you running? I would be surprised if you're running Vista or Windows 7. The security on these two OSes are much better than windows xp.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2010/06/14 08:16:17

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/14 08:23:58 (permalink)
Susan, I had that happen too.  Someone tried to buy a $10,000 surfboard with my PayPal account, and thankfully they held the purchase and got in touch with me.
I changed my password (there are programs that randomly try passwords until they get one right), then changed every account that was connected to PayPal.  Both the bank account AND the credit card.  It was a heck of a headache, but it hasn't re-occurred in the 2 years since then.  Remember - whoever hacked your account probably has all the information that was available.  CHANGE THOSE ACCOUNTS!

As for those fishing emails, NEVER click the links.  Instead i'll go to paypal.com (or whatever site i'm legitimately registered on) and log in there.  You'll get legit messages in the paypal site, but not the fake spam.
post edited by Slugbaby - 2010/06/14 08:25:40

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
File077
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 429
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2010/06/14 10:01:01 (permalink)
Cookies crack me up.  Spyware programs remove them because you won't loose anything if they do, but they are restricted by the browsers by site.  Even this cakewalk site made a cookie on your computer, and only this cakewalk site can read it.  What cracks me up is that all spy-ware programs, even ones by established companies such as Norton embellish the truth, and take advantage of their users by making it look like they are doing allot of work, when they really are not.  "Threats found?"  A cookie isn't a threat, it is a text file, nothing more, nothing less.  It cannot be executed, cannot harm or damage a computer, never could, never will. 

As for paypal, I swear by them because of my own fraud case.  Over 10 years ago I purchased a laptop online from the Ukraine.  Turned out to be a scam, but my money was already transferred to a bank in the Ukraine.  I let paypal know, and within 24 hours they had worked with the authorities of the Ukraine, and I received a full refund.  5 years later I was using my paypal debit card to pay an 80 dollar bill when the lady told me my card (with 10,000 in the account) was declined.  As she was speaking to me my phone rang.  It was paypal asking if they should allow a charge of such a high amount be charged.  I was like, it's only 80 bucks, how is that high?  They told me the lady must have missed a decimal cause she just tried running my card for 8 grand.  That's the second time they were looking out in my best interest.

I don't know how they are now, but my guess is they still rock.

Sandy80
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 03:33:32 (permalink)
Hello guys!

Need your advice what to do and how to solve the problem. 4 years passed but the problem still exists. I've used PayPal for several years. But the problem with charge PAYPAL SKYPE has been arised.  I did not make a single skype call. I even asked at vcharges to check. I want my money back.
Do you have any experience with it? 

post edited by Sandy80 - 2014/04/22 09:11:46
Beagle
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 07:35:57 (permalink)
you have to contact paypal and tell them what you think has happened.

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 07:58:28 (permalink)
I use. PayPal all the time. As of yet, never an issue. I have had numerous phishing emails though. Part of the territory if your email is public.

Glad you were able to get it sorted.

Good idea to change all passwords, especially after the Heartbleed bug. The scanners can more easily catch uncle wildly than DEfgTy45F78w......none of these are actual BTW :)

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 09:01:20 (permalink)
Was anyone else happy to see Susan G. show up in the Coffee House only to realize that this fred was from 2010?
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 10:31:58 (permalink)
It was nice to see Slugbaby too...wonder what happened to him?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beagle
Re:Unauthorized PayPal charge 2014/04/18 10:52:01 (permalink)
jamesg1213
It was nice to see Slugbaby too...wonder what happened to him?

Matt's on facebook often.  His birthday was the day before mine.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1