Helpful ReplyUnderhanded tactics and lack of communication

Author
chriswickens
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2017/11/22 09:56:51 (permalink)

Underhanded tactics and lack of communication

First of all, I am not using Sonar again after my current record is done.
I've already committed to buying a Mac and Logic.

I say this because the underhanded tactics and complete lack of communication regarding the cancellation of Sonar disgusts me.

I just searched my emails and not a single email about this. I then checked the website and no mention of this on the main page, then I noticed I can still purchase Sonar and there is STILL no mention of this cancellation.

Really?

I had to find out from a reddit thread about this Gibson decision.

I don't even have to ask if I'm wrong in being mad about this whole situation, it's being handled so poorly I am almost happy to get pushed into learning another DAW.

I will miss you Cakewalk, but you really should be pushing to make actual announcements on your main website and stop selling a product that requires online authentication when it's being discontinued (Yes, I know the servers will remain up for a WHILE, not forever.)
Roo Stercogburn
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: Underhanded tactics and lack of communication 2017/11/22 10:07:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mystic38 2017/11/22 13:06:33
Cakewalk will have been instructed by Gibson and bound by company confidentiality. Its likely that general Cakewalk employees didn't even know themselves.

Blame Gibson, not Cakewalk.

Fireface UCX, i7-6700K, 64GB RAM, 500GB M.2 system drive, 4 x 7200RPM data drives, GTX970, Win 10 Pro. Sonar Platinum.

Fix Delete Hole. Thanks.
cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Underhanded tactics and lack of communication 2017/11/22 10:29:03 (permalink)
Roo Stercogburn
Cakewalk will have been instructed by Gibson and bound by company confidentiality. Its likely that general Cakewalk employees didn't even know themselves.

Blame Gibson, not Cakewalk.

The one thing I am waiting for is the complete story from the Cakewalk CEO as to what happens next and further down the road.
paul jenkins
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re: Underhanded tactics and lack of communication 2017/11/22 11:15:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FettsVett 2017/11/22 23:39:32
I hope the guy at Gibson who made this decision dies a slow painful miserable death

Windows 10, 64 bit, intel core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHZ  2.59GHZ......12 gig ram ....Sonar lifetime updates, presonus audiobox 1818 interface, and beringer UFX1604 mixer interface/control surface...... All round musician, multi-instrumentalist/songwriter.....attempting to produce good music.....started on music creator 6 2014, bought sonar 2015....and now invested in lifetime updates......Learning always!!!!Thanx cakewalk and online forum
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: Underhanded tactics and lack of communication 2017/11/22 13:12:13 (permalink)
wtf is wrong with you?..

1. Every single Sonar user is in the same boat, and plenty of them have been CW customers for a decade or two...and the very vast majority of them are expressing sympathy & sadness, not anger.
2. Did you stop to think that people will be losing their jobs.?
3. Your copy of Sonar wont stop working
4. Blame Gibson.. 

chriswickens

I say this because the underhanded tactics and complete lack of communication regarding the cancellation of Sonar disgusts me.

I just searched my emails and not a single email about this. I then checked the website and no mention of this on the main page, then I noticed I can still purchase Sonar and there is STILL no mention of this cancellation.

Really?

I had to find out from a reddit thread about this Gibson decision.

I don't even have to ask if I'm wrong in being mad about this whole situation, it's being handled so poorly I am almost happy to get pushed into learning another DAW.

I will miss you Cakewalk, but you really should be pushing to make actual announcements on your main website and stop selling a product that requires online authentication when it's being discontinued (Yes, I know the servers will remain up for a WHILE, not forever.)

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Underhanded tactics and lack of communication 2017/11/22 15:54:35 (permalink)
chriswickens

I’ve been using Logic Pro X for a while now. I like Macs and Apple’s OS and intensely dislike Win10 for all kinds of reasons I won’t bore you with. So when the only PC we have get unreliable it was goodbye Windows. It has to be said CoreAudio/MIDI and the lack of dpc latency issues is a big improvement over the ever-changing and rarely stable thing that is Win10.

Logic’s OK, but a lot of what Sonar lets you do easily can be a real pain in the neck in Logic. Particularly if you use multiple hardware synths, sequencers and controllers. Sorting things out so the right MIDI gets to the right thing and only the right thing isn’t always trivial - no straightforward per track in/out MIDI port selection in Logic.

Logic doesn’t have a support forum that’s anything like as good as this one either. But what other DAW does?
Before deciding on a Mac DAW I’d strongly suggest trying demos and lots of research.

chriswickens

Everything that has happened since Gibson nought Cakewalk should be laid at the door of Gibson, not Cakewalk. Gibson own Cakewalk and therefore decide what happens and who gets told what and when.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1