Unique situation with long distance recording

Author
Dcbois
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/01/06 15:59:17 (permalink)

Unique situation with long distance recording

A buddy of mine and I are going to be working on songs together. We live in different states so we need to swap ideas etc via email. I currently have 8.5 Producer and he doesn't have anything yet. He cannot afford anything fancy like 8.5 etc, as he is on a very tight budget. What could he get so we can swap projects back and forth i.e. he records a bassline and I record my guitars and vocals etc. How can we do this?

Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Unique situation with long distance recording 2011/01/06 16:13:18 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!

If you're working with audio, one way could be a free program like Audacity that your friend could use. In such a case you could only send wav-files to each other, not Sonar-projects. That means, each track as a separate audio file, and you line them up in the project.

Broadcast Wav-files include a time stamp, which makes the lining up easier.

Working with only MIDI is one option too, but not a tempting one.

Sonar LE or Home Studio is one option, and the only one if you want to swap projects instead of files. You can get LE  with some soundcards. I don't remember the price range or brand of those particular cards. I'm not sure if Music Creator projects are compatrible with SONAR.

If the projects of X1 Essential are backward compatible with 8.5, then that's one option more.

ADDITION: The project files are easily several hundreds of megas large, so it's not granted you can send them via e-mail. You may need to use a server made for this kind of situations. Also, this is not unique at all :o)
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2011/01/06 16:17:37

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Dcbois
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Unique situation with long distance recording 2011/01/06 16:52:46 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

Welcome to the forum!

If you're working with audio, one way could be a free program like Audacity that your friend could use. In such a case you could only send wav-files to each other, not Sonar-projects. That means, each track as a separate audio file, and you line them up in the project.

Broadcast Wav-files include a time stamp, which makes the lining up easier.

Working with only MIDI is one option too, but not a tempting one.

Sonar LE or Home Studio is one option, and the only one if you want to swap projects instead of files. You can get LE  with some soundcards. I don't remember the price range or brand of those particular cards. I'm not sure if Music Creator projects are compatrible with SONAR.

If the projects of X1 Essential are backward compatible with 8.5, then that's one option more.

ADDITION: The project files are easily several hundreds of megas large, so it's not granted you can send them via e-mail. You may need to use a server made for this kind of situations. Also, this is not unique at all :o)

Yea, I guess these days doing long distance recording isn't quite that unusual. I appreciate your taking the time to answer. We do use Audacity as well, but need more horsepower, so to speak..
    EricT
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Unique situation with long distance recording 2011/01/06 17:09:54 (permalink)
    Hey, Kalle, I'm the "buddy" in this situation. Are you saying that Home Studio will swap projects with the 8.5 Producer? If so then that would work fine. That's certainly affordable for me.

We have already grappled with large files!

Thanks so much for your answer and any further info you can provide.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Unique situation with long distance recording 2011/01/10 07:53:44 (permalink)
    AFAIK Home Studio creates cwp-files which are exactly the same as the ones in the "big brother".
    It makes things easier if you agree on the plugins used, so that when you open something made in Producer you don't get error messages about missing plugins.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1