Unlocking MP3 encoder

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mychael628
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 105
2008/09/06 21:02:00 (permalink)

Unlocking MP3 encoder

I just got the SONAR 7 PRODUCER upgrade.

When I went to convert to MP3, it said I needed to "unlock" the encoder.

Is this NOT included? Do I really have to purchase another item for this program? Or am I missing how to do this?

Thank you!

Michael

Singer-songwriter-radio personality.....
Michael Stone
Michael Stone Music
Michael Stone BLOG
AudioPros.com
AudioPros BLOG
Michael Stone Radio BITS
Sonar PLATINUM - Dell XPS 750-  6 GB ram - Windows 7 - Intel i7 CPU -920 @ 2.67 ghz- 64 bit -
Korg digital piano - Rode NT1 - Shure SM7 - Ovation - Ibanez Elec - Fender Telecaster -Wechter Acoustic

39 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/06 21:19:42 (permalink)
    The MP3 encoder is only a 30 day trial. You can purchase it from Cakewalk for I think it's $20 or you can do what most of us do and use the free LAME encoder.
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON LAME

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/07 11:13:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mychael628

I just got the SONAR 7 PRODUCER upgrade.

When I went to convert to MP3, it said I needed to "unlock" the encoder.

Is this NOT included? Do I really have to purchase another item for this program? Or am I missing how to do this?

Thank you!

Michael

Hi Michael. Here is some information on the SONAR User Wiki about using MP3 with SONAR: MP3 Information
    kurrykid
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 309
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/07 14:21:59 (permalink)
    It is pretty amazing that you can charge that much for a program (Sonar 7 PE) that is audio based and they not include an MP3 encoder and want you to pay more for it . It truely is LAME (pun intended).
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/07 16:24:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kurrykid

It is pretty amazing that you can charge that much for a program (Sonar 7 PE) that is audio based and they not include an MP3 encoder and want you to pay more for it . It truely is LAME (pun intended).

It's equally amazing that you can post that without having first read the 10 zillion similar posts about the same subject. If you had, you might have learned that there are good reasons why this is so, especially since there are numerous free alternatives, and that many, if not most, SONAR users understand/repect/favour the fact that there is a choice.
    Sorry to be blunt - but your post begs for it.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    PH68
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/07 19:24:06 (permalink)
    I bought the encoder from cakewalk.
    Works fine, no problems etc...

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
    kurrykid
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/07 19:26:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Brando

It's equally amazing that you can post that without having first read the 10 zillion similar posts about the same subject. If you had, you might have learned that there are good reasons why this is so, especially since there are numerous free alternatives, and that many, if not most, SONAR users understand/repect/favour the fact that there is a choice.
    Sorry to be blunt - but your post begs for it.

I don't think so...it's not my obligation to search 10 zillion threads when I have an opinion on something. It's great that "most" SONAR users respect the lame decision but I don't. How many posts are out there on the proper way to install and configure LAME? When you're paying $500 for an audio based program, you should have the ability to export it as an an MP3, come on.

I know "most" users are Cakewalk lovers and defend them to the end (i.e. see your response), but we shoud be allowed to express disatisfation once in a while. It's OK Brando, don't worry, they will survive. You can put down your fists and relax, no one is going to beat up your fabulous software.

Jeez...chill out and allow an opposite opinion once and while. That's why I rarely post in this group, because a lot of you have stinking attitudes and it is very common to attack people who post.

Like my mama used to say...if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. I wasn't attacking anyone with my post, giving my opinion on a situation!
    post edited by kurrykid - 2008/09/07 19:29:06
    F@KKER
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 440
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/07 22:34:57 (permalink)
    NM

F@KKER
    post edited by F@KKER - 2008/09/07 22:36:53

Someone said:
    I've had more time to play with this, and am withdrawing the bug remarks.
    This appears to work as designed and is actually a pretty cool feature.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 05:21:02 (permalink)
    I don't think so...it's not my obligation to search 10 zillion threads when I have an opinion on something. It's great that "most" SONAR users respect the lame decision but I don't

You didn't have to search through 10 zillion threads though did you? One would have sufficed, instead you've created another thread on a subject which has been covered many, many times before.

You come across as a person who "wants the answer right now and no I'm not prepared to hit the search button first"
    In other words you want to be told the answer rather than finding out for yourself.

Now THAT'S a stinking attitude.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Gerry
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 861
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 05:36:59 (permalink)

Irrespective of doing a search your point is a valid one. You shouldn't have to go elsewhere for an encoder and you shouldn't have to pay for it, it should be included within the price. OK if you want to use LAME or anything else, be it free or not; it is your choice. Botton line Sonar PE should be a one stop solution and without an MP3 encoder included it isn't.

Strange how many forum members are active on threads that go nowhere and post about the benefits or not of dongles for days or when they can buy Sonar 8 and yet when one someone makes a valid although repeated comment they get attacked.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
    http://www.gerrycooper.com/

kurrykid
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 08:29:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bristol_Jonesey

I don't think so...it's not my obligation to search 10 zillion threads when I have an opinion on something. It's great that "most" SONAR users respect the lame decision but I don't

You didn't have to search through 10 zillion threads though did you? One would have sufficed, instead you've created another thread on a subject which has been covered many, many times before.

You come across as a person who "wants the answer right now and no I'm not prepared to hit the search button first"
    In other words you want to be told the answer rather than finding out for yourself.

Now THAT'S a stinking attitude.

I am not the original poster of the thread, I just commented on it...
    youshouldhaverun
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 09:21:07 (permalink)
    sonar SHOULD include a mp3 encoder...it's such a basic feature jeez...
    it's like having to pay extra for catchup on a burger ;p
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 10:35:48 (permalink)
    The funny thing is CW did include an MP3 encoder free to us in Pro Audio 9. Its still a way for us that have it to get the MP3 encoder unlocked free.

Best
    John
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 10:42:52 (permalink)
    I don't understand the complaint. If you want mp3 capability you can get it free with LAME. Cake even show how to set it up BUT if you don't want mp3 capability you don't have to pay the license fee.

where's the problem?

By your example its being told I have to have catsup and pay for it even if I don't want or like it. The Cakewalk way I get the choice. Not only about catsup and whether I have it on my burger but I even get a choice to use a free one.
    I'm not going to do your research for you but why don't you do some digging about how and who has to pay license fees to provide mp3 capability and why Cakewalk have been forced to use this option.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 10:48:00 (permalink)
    John, I guess when having it / using it in your programs was a gray area? when did that version come out? it must be LONG ago as it mentions CJ's favourite card and 2 cards I have, and they are 10 years old now.hehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3

is funny, esp the "patent" bit.. perhaps I should put in a claim also

I actually wish more had taken up using Vorbis OGG, which is a good format WITHOUT the patent.

John
    Forum Host
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:03:55 (permalink)
    The copyright is 1999 on the Pro Audio 9 disks. Heck I don't know about this stuff. I just am happy that I don't have to pay for the encoder. Besides there so many other ways to make an MP3 I don't see it as an issue anyway.
    post edited by John - 2008/09/08 11:27:03

Best
    John
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:16:54 (permalink)
    I bought the encoder for 20 bucks when I originally purchased sonar4pe -- I saved that little program -- it works with all version of sonar...and I am currently on sonar7pe.......

so really the $20 fee seems to be programed to work with any version of sonar for .... ummm eternity.... I fill up my gas tank with 60 bucks and its gone in about 6 - days... so if you view it like that .......(shrugs)

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

d45
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:22:57 (permalink)
    Basically Thomson want money of every big business who commercially include MP3 encoders as part of their software.
    A lot of pro audio applications stopped including a full codec years ago for fear of being sued.

It is a strange argument to say it absolutely should have been included in the original purchase, as the price would have been higher to reflect the additional licensing cost.
    Personally I am more than happy using LAME for free, which stupidly Thomson have no issue with.
    Gerry
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:23:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mudgel

I don't understand the complaint. If you want mp3 capability you can get it free with LAME. Cake even show how to set it up BUT if you don't want mp3 capability you don't have to pay the license fee.

where's the problem?

By your example its being told I have to have catsup and pay for it even if I don't want or like it. The Cakewalk way I get the choice. Not only about catsup and whether I have it on my burger but I even get a choice to use a free one.
    I'm not going to do your research for you but why don't you do some digging about how and who has to pay license fees to provide mp3 capability and why Cakewalk have been forced to use this option.

So where is the problem in Cakewalk including one for free in Sonar. It's not rocket science and if everyone is giving them away for free all the more reason for Cake to do the same. The Cakewalk way gives you one choice and that is go and get one somewhere else surely if they included one you would still have that choice. To suggest the inclution of it reduces your choice is absurd.

Rather than kick the original poster for not doing a search how about agreeing with him. What is it with all this unlocking rubbish just stick one in there like everyone else does.

JMHO kick away.

d45
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:30:43 (permalink)
    What I just said. Cakewalk have to pay a license fee to Thomson if you use any included encoder supplied as part of the application.

Thomson don't mind it if individuals set up use of their own sourced codec.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:35:34 (permalink)
    Gerry, we don't know the business side of it in the sense of , maybe the volume license wasn't so cheap for cake to include it and the breakdown costs of things, licensing other things from a few other companies. I'm sure licensing the other plug ins wasn't exactly cheap. I don't think $20 is that much, but it's nice to have the option to not have to buy it.

remember when sonar 7 was originally out cubase and logic were a LOT more until logic went down to half price. So yep I'd expect them to include it, since I paid a lot more for cubase 3 / 4. Other companies don't include it either e.g. propellerheads.

I'm not being argumentative about it, just being objective..

others companies have tried to stop LAME, if you read the articles. Thankfully they didn't succeed.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:47:54 (permalink)
    I think it was an over sight with the lawyers of CW when they made the license agreement with the copyright holder. It was a one off thing and thus CW may have been fooled by the terms. CW has honored the agreement with is users that bought Pro Audio 9. From CW's point of view we paid for the license therefore we can use it. Now those that came later have the option to buy the license and it will apply to all future versions of Sonar. I don't see it as a disingenuous way of doing business. They have done a lot to make it as painless as possible to those that want it but don't want to buy a license. And of course those that do wish to have the license they have provided a means to get it. I don't see how this is so awful.

Best
    John
    Gerry
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:49:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

Gerry, we don't know the business side of it in the sense of , maybe the volume license wasn't so cheap for cake to include it and the breakdown costs of things, licensing other things from a few other companies. I'm sure licensing the other plug ins wasn't exactly cheap. I don't think $20 is that much, but it's nice to have the option to not have to buy it.

remember when sonar 7 was originally out cubase and logic were a LOT more until logic went down to half price. So yep I'd expect them to include it, since I paid a lot more for cubase 3 / 4. Other companies don't include it either e.g. propellerheads.

I'm not being argumentative about it, just being objective..

others companies have tried to stop LAME, if you read the articles. Thankfully they didn't succeed.

Good post Fog and I am not playing devils advocate just thought the original poster made a fair comment. If Cake used the LAME encoder it would most probably add an extra 2 or 3 Bucks onto the cost of Sonar to cover the licensing (That's according to the Reaper Forum). Now isn't that better than unlocking a coder for $20 and the hassle that goes with it? Oh and believe me it can be hassle I had a go at buying it when I upgraded to 7 and like many others had to give up and go somewhere else for one. I can understand Reaper not including one to keep their price edge but Sonar is in a different league. Hmmm well I like to think so :-) but I will reserve my judgement until 8 comes on the scene before deciding to pay my anual tribute for bells and whistles that in most cases I don't want or use.
    post edited by Gerry - 2008/09/08 11:51:18

John
    Forum Host
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 11:55:49 (permalink)
    Good post Fog and I am not playing devils advocate just thought the original poster made a fair comment. If Cake used the LAME encoder it would most probably add an extra 2 or 3 Bucks onto the cost of Sonar to cover the licensing. Now isn't that better than unlocking a coder for $20 and the hassle that goes with it? Oh and believe me it can be hassle I had a go at buying it when I upgraded to 7 and like many others had to give up and go somewhere else for one. I can understand Reaper not including one to keep their price edge but Sonar is in a different league. Hmmm well I like to think so :-) but I will reserve my judgement until 8 comes on the scene before deciding to pay my anual tribute for bells and whistles that in most cases I don't want or use.

We don't know the details of the agreement that CW made with the copyright holder. But if they do include and encoder/decoder it would be more then just 2 or 3 bucks. It would have to be from that same copyright holder not a generic that anyone can DL. Its a sticky issue where we don't know all the details.

Best
    John
    Gerry
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 13:14:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

Good post Fog and I am not playing devils advocate just thought the original poster made a fair comment. If Cake used the LAME encoder it would most probably add an extra 2 or 3 Bucks onto the cost of Sonar to cover the licensing. Now isn't that better than unlocking a coder for $20 and the hassle that goes with it? Oh and believe me it can be hassle I had a go at buying it when I upgraded to 7 and like many others had to give up and go somewhere else for one. I can understand Reaper not including one to keep their price edge but Sonar is in a different league. Hmmm well I like to think so :-) but I will reserve my judgement until 8 comes on the scene before deciding to pay my anual tribute for bells and whistles that in most cases I don't want or use.

We don't know the details of the agreement that CW made with the copyright holder. But if they do include and encoder/decoder it would be more then just 2 or 3 bucks. It would have to be from that same copyright holder not a generic that anyone can DL. Its a sticky issue where we don't know all the details.

Fair comment John but certainly if there was a will I would have thought there would be a way. Cake are very good at working with third parties infact that is where most of their decent stuff appears to come from. Oh and not knowing the details I would have thought would be a golden opportunity for Cake to step in with them on this thread.

Not my battle as I purchased one elsewhere but an MP3 Encoder does appear to me to be a pretty basic and desirable tool to find in a top end DAW.

MNorman
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/08 22:22:56 (permalink)
    Hmmm. I wish my Pontiac G6 came with an iPod connection port. I knew when I bought it that it didn't. I bought the car anyway because it had other features that were unique enough for the money, that I made an intelligent decision. After I bought it, did I feel cheated because I should have gotten the port? No, because it was a clear business arrangement - they provided me a clear definition of the product before I purchased it, I got exactly what I agreed to pay for. I was able to test drive the car before the purchase, and noticed the absense of the port right away. The saleman was honest in admitting it wasn't provided by GM. I purchased the port after-market (the after-market company also provided me exactly what I thought I was purchasing). Not sure there is an issue here. If you purchase a product that provides what it advertises, nothing more, nothing less, can you really claim that it should have provided more? Now, asking it as a future feature, is another issue...
    Gerry
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/09 04:20:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MNorman

Hmmm. I wish my Pontiac G6 came with an iPod connection port. I knew when I bought it that it didn't. I bought the car anyway because it had other features that were unique enough for the money, that I made an intelligent decision. After I bought it, did I feel cheated because I should have gotten the port? No, because it was a clear business arrangement - they provided me a clear definition of the product before I purchased it, I got exactly what I agreed to pay for. I was able to test drive the car before the purchase, and noticed the absense of the port right away. The saleman was honest in admitting it wasn't provided by GM. I purchased the port after-market (the after-market company also provided me exactly what I thought I was purchasing). Not sure there is an issue here. If you purchase a product that provides what it advertises, nothing more, nothing less, can you really claim that it should have provided more? Now, asking it as a future feature, is another issue...

I assume it came with a spare wheel? I think an MP3 encoder is a pretty basic requirement for a top end daw and most new customers would expect it to be included rather than not. OK feature request but heck its a pretty basic feature to be excluded.

youshouldhaverun
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/09 04:51:13 (permalink)
    i don't think it's a huge issue or really even worth debating but my opinion is that ALL pro audio aps should be able to make a .mp3 straight out of the box.

with all the features and sometimes unused extra's included already, the ability to encode an mp3 just seems like an important (often used) omission.

i have to admit i was clueless to the legal side of this debate until reading thru here..
    but that doesn't change my outlook..especially since my computer came with more than one cheapo "convert/burn your own mp3 file audio program" (which i quickly uninstalled, so don't say "well then use those.") :p

i guess i almost expect a high quality, professional use product such as sonar pe would already have .mp3 capability included since it has become such a "standard" err whatever.

(and yes i realize it's not an advertised feature etc and i'm not complaining blah blah so please don't feel you need to defend sonar from me! i am very happy with my sonar purchase and i do think it's damn near perfect (at least for my needs.)

-mike
    d45
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/09 05:40:28 (permalink)
    I'm a little confused as to why in a "top end DAW" the ability to export directly to a lossy, not particularly nice sounding, format is important or essential?
    It is a nice to have of course but I would never classify it as an essential part of a pro audio application.
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Unlocking MP3 encoder 2008/09/09 07:03:16 (permalink)
    The fact of the matter is that if you include the mp3 encoder "for free" then the company producing the software will still have to include a license that is to be paid to Thompson. Given that all manufactuers should build in a profit of at least 30% to cover other costs and include some form of profit (standard business practice), if that license costs $6, then that will mean that Cakewalk would have to charge an additional $8 to include a "free" encoder with the program.

Remember that if you own Sonar (in all its version), and Project5 (in all its versions) and any another other Cakewalk Product, you would have paid this $8 at least 10 times.

With the encoder put in separately you only have to pay for this once.

If the company selling the software is in another country (IE Germany is one of them) then they do not have to pay for using this technology because of the way in which items like mp3 encoders are patented (unless this has changed over the last year or two).

So I for one applaud that CW dont include it in the price of the mp3 encoder in every version of the software, since I would have had to pay for this several times. Cakewalk do provide the information so that you can set one up for free, without them having to include the price of the license in every product they sell that requires it.

Now, moving onto Steinberg software, did you know that Cubase (at least Essentials 4) does not have an mp3 export option, its choices are wave, AIFC, AIFF, Ogg Vorbis, and WMA. Ive no idea if the higher levels of Cubase allow export to mp3. Reason does not provide for it. So from what Ive seen its the exception that provides the mp3 encoder rather than the other way round.

EDIT I also agree with d45s point about the use of a Pro Audio application being used to produce a highly "unprofessional" end result. If you want the best product then surely you would want the best lossless result (IE one of the other formats). Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg_Vorbis for an alternative.
    post edited by syrath - 2008/09/09 07:11:58
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1