Up/Down Bowed Violin in DP

Author
holderofthehorns
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 679
2006/06/20 00:29:33 (permalink)

Up/Down Bowed Violin in DP

I really like the Dimension Pro, and see different samples for Up and Down bowing of violin.
Is there documentation describing how to use this feature?

The booklet and the PDF seem identicle, and don't describe the technique.

Anyone know if there is a "thick" document for DP?
The lite docs are only whetting my whistle.

PS. It's entirely possible that I just missed it. Maybe on the CD?
post edited by holderofthehorns - 2006/06/20 00:53:20

Eric Anderson
HolderOfTheHorns - It's a Viking thing.

6 Replies Related Threads

holderofthehorns
    RE: Up/Down Bowed Violin in DP 2006/06/20 13:22:05 (permalink)
    Hmmm,

I suppose you could clone the violin track and assign Legato Up to one and Legato Down to the other, then delete alternating notes on each track. Kind of a work around, though.

Seems like the Pocket GPO put it there and intended it to be used. (Up and down bowing, that is.)
    Maybe Rene will jump in with an answer.

Eric Anderson
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Up/Down Bowed Violin in DP 2006/06/21 04:42:31 (permalink)
    You are making a good point with your question. I also think that it might be a good idea to make tutorials of the presets that has special features. A lot of people would learn to appreciate DP even more.

I found that documentation and tutorials are an often underestimated with the software products you buy. You hardly learn more than a small percentage of what is there in front of you.

There was an survey just a few days ago about DP from Cake, and it didn't even have any question about any tutorials if we were satisfied with documentation and so on. So it's not even on the menu from the vendors it seems. Good you brought it up.
    holderofthehorns
    RE: Up/Down Bowed Violin in DP 2006/06/21 08:21:35 (permalink)
    Yes, I completed the survey too. Not even a "comments" section where this could be included.
    Perhaps a feature request is in order.

It is possible that GPO was included because it is very good, and DP has not (yet) a way to define multiple articulation samples.
    Then again, perhaps an SFZ definition file could be made with 2 zones, bowed up and bowed down.
    Then the part can be played on the keyboard a couple octaves apart using 2 hands.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know I'm not completely blind.

Eric Anderson
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Up/Down Bowed Violin in DP 2006/06/21 08:22:18 (permalink)
    Dimension Pro features multisamples for the up and down 1st and 2nd violin strokes, as sfz files. Usually, the trick for playing up/down bows is achieved by cloning the MIDI track, setting two instances (or elements in multitimbral), and then using the eraser tool to remove the notes in the undesired bow direction, following the score (or "composing" it).

We have shipped some 'automatic alternation' sfz files with DP (i.e. the Martin), but that kind of alternation is somehow too trivial too me for the strings, nothing like hard and rewarding work . Anyways, this has already been a popular request, so I will create a few for the up/down first violins as soon as I find a minute and will post those here.

-René
    holderofthehorns
    RE: Up/Down Bowed Violin in DP 2006/06/21 12:23:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the good answer, Rene.

I will go look at the Martin files and see if I can understand the automatic alternation stuff.
    Deleting alternate notes for up and down bow will yield very precise control.

I'll try both.
    Thanks.

-------------
    By the way, great product in DPro. It is appreciated. Thanks.
    post edited by holderofthehorns - 2006/06/21 16:58:14

Eric Anderson
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Up/Down Bowed Violin in DP 2006/06/21 20:29:48 (permalink)
    When I'm doing an alternate replacement, I'll clone the track twice archive the original, transpose one track up a tone and then delete away. No note should be hidden. the different colors make the everyother note thing easy then it's as fast as you can scroll through the measures. Once done I bring the second track down a tone set my synths and go. Because the archived track is still visible you could mute the 2 dimensions and listen as you modify using the original track but to do so it will be required to leave the original open to hear where you are in the sequence.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1