**Update - It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
2012/02/19 20:24:45 (permalink)

**Update - It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals)

Shifting gears from the Van Halen and Bruce Springsteen covers we recently did, here is an oldie from 1958, Conway Twitty's It's Only Make Believe.
Robby did lead vocals and also did the backing vocals arrangement and performance.  There are 6 backing haromonies throughout.  Not sure if you will hear it in the mix, but some of the harmonies sound a litttle like the Beach Boys.

I wanted to get a live'ish feel to it so the intro is very similar to a performance that Conway did on the show Night Music back in the 80's that I found on YouTube.  For the strings and guitar solo I was going for a Honeydripper's like feel.  Robby did just an outstanding job on the vocals. Hope you enjoy.  Suggestions and crits welcome.

It's Only Make Believe - Update
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11450923&q=hi

{Edited for updated mix}
post edited by markno999 - 2012/02/20 23:34:22

36 Replies Related Threads

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/19 20:30:28 (permalink)
    LOL! Good times! Thanks for the opportunity to contribute on this one Mark :-) I really enjoyed it. It's out of the box for me? But I'm a big time Conway fan... And Your performance and mix on this one (in my book?) superb...  (does that Italian fingers together kissing them and then the poof where they come apart?)

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/19 20:53:12 (permalink)
    Wow, this is awesome.....but who is that bandontherun guy?

String Jammer
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/19 21:19:39 (permalink)
    Hey Mark, nice job on this you're really starting to get this stuff down now brother. Two little things if I may...just subjective, not super important.

1. I think your bass guitar can come up just a bit. It IS audible, I just think we can hear a bit more of it. Frequencies seems fine on it and it gels with the kick drum really good from what I can tell.

2. I'd probably use a bit less of a percussive snare on this. I'm all for poppy, punchy snares with good transient attacks...but in this song, I would have definitely went for something a little more subtle and darker sounding. The rim shots at times seem a bit too intense...like the dude playing is using basball bat sticks to make the sound. LOL! Again, just subjective...but part of the mixing field is all about sound selection.

There's times where we rock the world with good sounds...other times, it's the better option to allow something to take a bit of a back seat. My reason for saying this? In this particular example, you have a song that in my opinion doesn't need an abrasive snare taking your attention away from the vocal or the music that is backing it. I sort of felt that way hearing this forceful rim/snare coming in. The other side of the coin, it gives it more of a modern type sound to it which is good, but the rest of the stuff you have going on in the mix has that older type vibe to it. So it sort of goes against the grain when you have that, and then this modern sounding, transient topping snare come out of nowhere. Make sense at all? Just an observation though man...nothing to be alarmed about or anything. :)

Guitar tones and playing were total sweetness. Right amount of warmth in those tones...to die for bro. Strings and stuff were really good too and no sibs on the vocals. It all sounds really well done to me. Keep up the great work! :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/19 21:25:57 (permalink)
    "other times, it's the better option to allow something to take a bit of a back seat." Mmmmmm "back seat..."  

----------
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/19 21:43:20 (permalink)
    This song is special to me having done it live more times than Conway.

The drums seemed fumbly at the beginning, and technically it was good, but it doesn't float my boat.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/19 21:52:26 (permalink)
    Bub! You gotta get a lighter boat buddy! :-) The drummer gives it "a live feel?" I like what Mark did w/the drums. And who doesn't like "a live feel?" (if you know what I mean...) And I think you do?

----------
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/19 22:31:37 (permalink)
    I love it.  Lead vocal EQ is off a little, as it does not sound present.  Almost like it was sung too far from the mike.  I get the mono reverb for the lead vocal but maybe it could be expanded a little?  The arrangement is right on.  Good job.  I would try to make is sound like the old recordings too.  Needs less mids and more bottom and air at the top IMO.  

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Whittaker Hiss
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/19 23:23:22 (permalink)
    That was very nice.
    markno999
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 00:23:56 (permalink)
    Scott - Thanks for the listen and comment. 

Danny - I will use these suggestions and take another crack at it tomorrow night.   Appreciate you taking the time to explain your view in detail.  I will boost the bass a little bit, it is a little buried in the bottom end.  In this song I actually used the EZDrummer Pop Kit whereas I normally use one of the Superior kits that are less processed so I need to back off on the EQ a bit.  Glad you like the guitar tones, this song actually started with bass, piano, drums and two guitars but after I got the vocal tracks I decided it needed a bit more sophistication so added the strings and some random saxes here and there.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

Bub - Thanks for the listen Bub.  I was going for a fumbly intro actually:) I wanted it to sound like a live group trying to get synchronized.

Rimshot - Thanks for the listen, I am going to boost the bottom end with the next mix, will have to see how that affects the vocals and may need to add a little more presence as you mention.

Whittaker - Thanks
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 08:59:05 (permalink)
    Nice all the way around. 

Robby, why don't you sing like that on your original tunes? Dude? You're knocking the covers out of the park. Very nice work

Great job to everyone involved on this old Twitty Classic..... oh the times I have played this tune for a bunch of drunk rednecks..... 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 11:34:16 (permalink)
    Well done.  This is not an easy song to cover, but you guys nailed it.  The minor tweaks mentioned above don't distract from the soulfulness of this rendition.  Spruce it up if you feel the need, but kudos anyway.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 20:01:56 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Nice all the way around. 

Robby, why don't you sing like that on your original tunes? Dude? You're knocking the covers out of the park. Very nice work

Great job to everyone involved on this old Twitty Classic..... oh the times I have played this tune for a bunch of drunk rednecks..... 

Thanks Hacker. I do my own style on my toons? :-) But I tried to channel David Lee on Dance the night away, and I tried to channel the boss on BTR? Likewise, I tried to channel Conway on this one :-) I just hope he doesn't ask me to do a Madona piece? I don't really rock the pointy bra :-(

----------
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 20:28:00 (permalink)
    Great job Mark.  You must have made the changes suggested above because it all sounds good to me.  That is a really sweet guitar break that you have going there.  This person bandontherun --- well, he did a terrific job on the lead vocal and the BGV's are absoflippinlutely great.
    Nice one!!!

Freddy J
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 20:31:39 (permalink)
    Fredaaaaaaay! Chicken to the bone Brudah! :-) The BGV were actually much more difficult and time consuming than the lead? The lead was just "Let her rip?" But the BGV had to be all pretty and lined up and lots of parts... It took several daze... I'm really glad you appreciate the effort that went in to it!

----------
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 20:48:18 (permalink)
    drums are a little sloppy in the intro. Nice job by Mr. Robbay. I thought the guit solo needs some work. didn't seem to be part of the song. I would think just playing the melody would work better. Also seemed like the drums got more in the pocket volume wise after a minute or so. I guess they were a little loud at the onset. All that's nitpickin cause I liked it bunches (well except for the sloppy drum intro stuff)

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 21:13:49 (permalink)
    Conway had a penchant for pink suits and Vitalas... but the man had a hell of powerful voice.

I think the orchestration was well done.   I agree with Tim, the guitar solo is really nice, but could use a little tightening.

Nice job.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 21:41:55 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

oh the times I have played this tune for a bunch of drunk rednecks.....
    If they were still 'dancing' then you'd have to slip in to Lost in The 50's Tonight or maybe Silhouettes. :)

I really miss those days.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 21:45:42 (permalink)
    I once tried to perform some Doo Wop in little Italy? And a fight broke out... A big misunderstanding actually...

Ohhhh, that's right up there with ESPN! And that whole armor story?
    post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/02/20 21:46:56

----------
    markno999
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/20 23:47:19 (permalink)
    Herb - thanks for the comment.   Glad you liked it.  Speaking of drunks, I played the guitar solo drunk;)

Lynn - Thanks for that.  It is pretty tough vocally for sure.   By the 6th measure of the first verse it is out of my range.   Made a few of the tweaks though.  Hopefully for the better...

Freddy - Thanks for the listen, actually I hadn't yet made the updates until now so hope you will have another run through.  So glad you liked it, I really enjoyed your last post as well.

Tim - thanks fo the comment.  I was going for a sloppy intro, it was actually supposed to be a quasi live sound.  Regarding the guitar solo, see the first comment above;)   Anyway, glad you liked it overall...

Daryl - Thanks, spent some time on that orchestration.  I actually recorded the guitar parts quite some time ago and finally decided to finsih the thing.   Regarding the guitar solo, see first comment above;)

So made a few changes to the current mix based on earlier comments (I just heard about the guitar solo so that is the same, sorry).  Replaced the EZ Drummer snare with a mellower Superior Custom and Vintage snare, added some more bass, added some stereo width, brightened the LVOX just a tad. 
    Regards
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/23 10:15:23 (permalink)
    Yes, that latest mix sounds like you nailed it Mark! :-)

----------
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/23 12:25:38 (permalink)
    This is killer... wow...
    Robby's BGV's are outstanding... Love the guitar solo...
    only thing I'd do is make the snare bigger and wetter...
    Great work guys...
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/29 21:49:11 (permalink)
    :-) Thanks Frank-oh Oh OH!!! YES! YES! YES!!! Sorry, I had a Meg Ryan in the diner moment? 

lol! You know? those background vocals were a real "Hillary Clinton..." If you know what I mean? And I think you do...

I'm really glad you enjoyed them :-)

post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/02/29 21:55:44

----------
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/29 22:37:37 (permalink)
    bandontherun19

:-) Thanks Frank-oh Oh OH!!! YES! YES! YES!!! Sorry, I had a Meg Ryan in the diner moment? 

lol! You know? those background vocals were a real "Hillary Clinton..." If you know what I mean? And I think you do...

I'm really glad you enjoyed them :-)

ya know, (well, you don't, but) my buddy was in that meg ryan scene. ya... really. uh huh. yep.
    Anyway, what's a Hillary Clinton moment. And, just wonderin, is that supposed to be 'An' Hillary Clinton moment.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

markno999
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/29 23:17:52 (permalink)
    Frank - Thanks for that, I apprecite your comment and so glad you like the guitar solo.  I felt it was one of my more inspired solos.  Of course Robby's BGV harmonies turned out really well.  I actually just changed out the snare for this mix, it was bigger wetter and sounded like someone was hitting it with a baseball bat, I can turn a bit more verb on it though as it sounds a little timid by comparison to the previous mix.  Thanks again.

Robby - I thought you sounded like you were "in the zone" on your performance;)

Tim - Robby will have to explain that one, I have no idea;)
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/29 23:29:15 (permalink)
    "I can turn a bit more verb" 

Don't be afraid of the wetness! Go in to the wetness Mark!

We can put you in the wetness protection program? :-)

Wetter is better... Once you go wet? You never go? Wait, that doesn't rhyme. :-( 

----------
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/02/29 23:51:27 (permalink)
    Mark? Really? You've never experienced a moment that was "a real Hillary Clinton?" A real "Debby was-a-man Shultz?" Rhymes with itch? Come on! We've all been there! We've all had "moments?" Times in our trials and tribulations? That were a real "Debbie Was A Man" Schultz? Or in other words? Well... Hopefully you know what I'm saying? I can't really say it because it would violate forum ediqite?? And I'm the LAST person who would ever do that!!??

Debbie "was a man" Schultz...  

No "intentional" disrespect intended (however some unintended disrespect may occur? Please note, it was not intended...) to either people who are liberals? Or who were men in the past but no longer are?  No "intentional" disrespect... I wrote a song? It is what it is... (great song...)
    post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/03/01 00:09:59

----------
    bandontherun19
    Re:It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/03/01 00:28:13 (permalink)
     I belive that she? (Debbie was a man) is an even bigger "C word" than the Hill Dog? And by C word? Of course, I mean "Candidate..."  What else could I mean? :-) It's never what I say? It's always the way it's taken...

----------
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:**Update - It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/03/01 12:20:22 (permalink)
    Good job on this one men. I luvs me some Twitty, and this is my fave.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    bandontherun19
    Re:**Update - It's Only Make Believe (Featuring Robby/bandontherun19 on vocals) 2012/03/01 16:24:59 (permalink)
    I wore my powder blue leisure suit when I sang it. 

----------
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1