Update Staff View to a functional Score View

Author
vmw
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
2016/07/05 21:33:46 (permalink)
4.5 (6)

Update Staff View to a functional Score View

Well I don't really need to say much about this other than Update Staff View to a functional Score View. Allow for proper entry of triplets etcetera. Allow for more space between staves so a high note or low note when placed crosses from the current staff to the adjacent staves, which then forces the use of the piano roll view to access the note.

4 Replies Related Threads

Adji
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re: Update Staff View to a functional Score View 2016/07/06 10:02:38 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    I've asked for this before many times. It is probably not something which is massively popular which is why other areas tend to get more focus but this would be MASSIVE for my workflow.
    I currently use Sibleius and then import the MIDI etc into Sonar but would love to have a complete one stop shop.

Sonar Professional
    Windows 8.1
    Intel Hex Core i7 5820k 
    32Gig DDR4 RAM

Paw
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Update Staff View to a functional Score View 2016/07/06 14:37:33 (permalink)
    Yes, yes, yes!
    tzzsmk
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Update Staff View to a functional Score View 2016/07/08 03:36:17 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I'd totally welcome that, since Sonar midi engine is powerful now it's time to empower the scores :D
    ..I think not many people know it's actually possible to display scores in Sonar..

Core i7-5820K, ASUS X99-S, Kingston 32GB DDR4, EVGA GTX980Ti Classified, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    RME HDSPe AIO, RME Fireface 802, RME Octamic D, Seaboard RISE49, Presonus Eris E8, AKG K240 MKII, DELL U2713HM
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Update Staff View to a functional Score View 2016/07/08 07:00:12 (permalink)
    As a programmer, I could recognize that MIDI editing and scoring have not so many direct relations. That is not obvious looking at graphic programs, since many MIDI editors have some score system (f.e. Sonar) and most score editors can produce MIDI files.

But behind the graphics, it is in direction of speech recognition vs book typesetting. Using Text To Speech engine it is possible to "convert" a book into more or less reasonable audio, since not only words but the whole punctuation is there. The same for Score editors to MIDI conversion. For triplets example, it is possible to calculate precise timing when they should be played, add some "human feel", accents, slurs, etc. In other words, more or less formal procedure to interpret scores into music till some degree exists (the primary purpose for scores!).

Reversed process is far more blurred. If in book you see words and punctuation only, in scores there are way more "extra" information. And apart from notes, nothing exists in the MIDI file to guess how that should be scored. To understand the problem, have a look at text based representations for MIDI and for scores. For MIDI, you can use Event List in Sonar. For scores: http://lilypond.org/ For triplets: MIDI has NO triplets! Note duration is specified in 1/960 of a Beat. For scoring, any human played MIDI should be hard quantized. And if you have tried such function, you know how it works for complex material.

Also there are hard limitations. For books, you can put commas based on syntax of recognized sentence. You can try to predict exclamations. But how, for example, can you recognize a citation as such? The same for music. As soon as you get some unregular material (imagine a triplet in a sequence played with human feel, "abused" (from mathematic perspective) by swing), the complexity of guessed formal procedure to produce something reasonable explode.

I am no way against improvements in Sonar scoring system. But as MIDI based program, it is unable to create final scores from the information it has (and that is current approach there). Build-in score editor or better cooperation with external score editors are feasible and will be welcome, the same for visualization improvements. But not artificial intelligence for real-time conversion between MIDI and ready to print complex scores.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1