Updated 3/28 - Song Critique: Disappear - Rock

Author
tyacko
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1190
2009/03/21 14:04:44 (permalink)

Updated 3/28 - Song Critique: Disappear - Rock

Hi Everyone,

UPDATED: We worked on this most of the afternoon in hopes that we covered as much of everyone's suggestions as possible. If you could please listen again and provide fresh feedback it would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Here is the latest one we've been mixing called "Disappear". I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions for this mix.

Soundclick: Disappear

Thanks for listening,
Tom
post edited by tyacko - 2009/03/28 15:52:06

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 

27 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/21 14:14:01 (permalink)
    Mean guitars Tom. I'd like to hear the bass and drums brought up a little for a kick-butt drive.. That change-over @ 1:47 was a great move!! Very good vox on this with that emotion attached to it. Like the back drop vox harmonies and how the song builds. Nice harmonics. Good use of the dynamics that really kept me glued to this tune! Creative!!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/21 14:22:19 (permalink)
    Great vocals. Lots going on in the lower bands that feels a bit muddy. In my opinion this song really needs the support of the drums and particularily the kick drum. They need to be up in the mix. Again the vox and harmonies really shine...as well as the overall arrangement and feel of the song.

I'd say work out the lower end stuff "Lift and seperate"...and this song will have that power and ballsyness that it deserves.

Thanks

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/21 18:10:03 (permalink)
    Lots of energy on this one! I guess I'd have to agree on the comments above. Maybe a little more separation will make it easier to make out the words, etc. Love the tune!
    tyacko
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/22 18:42:46 (permalink)
    Larry - Thanks for listening and providing feedback. Yeah, the dynamics were the most important part to this one and we worked very hard at that. I'm thinking about moving the vocals back just a bit to help with that drums and bass comment you have. Thanks again.

thalweg - Thanks for listen and commenting. I see what you are saying about the lower mids. I'll really have to analyze that as it doesn't seem to be just an instrument or two causing that. It must be a build up from a few tracks. Too bad there isn't the "wonderbra" for mixes.

Janet - Thank you for listening and enjoying the tune.

Keep them comments coming!

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/22 19:05:25 (permalink)
    GREAT rockin tune! Super performance and love the tones of the guitar.. Once again that voice and the harmonies are just FANTATSIC. I have to agree with the others on the mix its a little flat and muddy. Sounds like the kick and the bass are sharing the same low end and get lost or can't be heard at times. Other than that you have a one rockin song here. KUDOS!

LATER
    Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

BOBK
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/22 19:35:58 (permalink)
    Good over-all sound. The fuzzy distorted guitar works with the occasional Rhodes/Electric piano sound, with the dissonant chords.

I agree that it may need a tad more bass.

Definitely evoked feelings of despair, and un-easiness.
    Venus
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/22 20:00:21 (permalink)
    Sweet! Vox could be louder a bit.

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/23 05:54:35 (permalink)
    nice guitars and the synths add a nice mean touch. vocals are good. i agree with the drums, are they a session drummer room kit (if so i'd use a tight mic'd kit) or recorded by yourself? deffo needs more oomph, you could try that old parallel compression technique to boost em. nice interlude.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/23 16:36:44 (permalink)
    Good song for sure. You can sing.

The mix ain't my cup of tea, but I get what you are going for here.
    Heckxx
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/23 17:46:38 (permalink)
    I think the recording can be tighter, rhythmically speaking. The rhythms just seem to be all over the place, I particularly heard a few bass notes that seemed mis-timed.

The overall feel of the song is very nice, the vocal melodies are nice, I like the sound of everything. There is that diminished chord that seems to be used alot in the verse. Its cool, but its definitely borderline on sounding just too dissonant.

Certainly there are alot of great ideas here, maybe it just needs to be organized a bit more. Hope this helps!

-Jeff
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/24 00:56:28 (permalink)
    Nice rocker Tom, and there's so many interesting changes in this and lots of cool guitar work. I liked the vox and BGVs too. Good mix - that's your sound.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/24 06:34:56 (permalink)
    Excellent overall tune , agree with previous comments , seems slightly muddy needs a bit more punch.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/24 13:23:16 (permalink)
    Really Cool Tune ... ( very busy, though ) I think this can result in the appearance of timing issues and muddiness. I think you tried to keep the energy going while minimizing both of these though. - Kudos- I think you put a lot of work into this one !!!!

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/24 18:31:49 (permalink)
    Great rocker of a track and i'm loving those guitars. I actually thought the mix was ok, gave it a kind of 70's vinyl sound to my ears. Overall i liked this a lot.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/24 20:41:26 (permalink)
    Great song... the mix is muddy, and the vox is kinda buried...... the mix is kinda flat... not alot of punch and not much definition in the music.

creative... I like the break where the cymbals are played....lightly..... nice.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    GrottoRob
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 677
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/24 20:59:23 (permalink)
    I dig the song and the arrangement, but.....

It sounds a bit dis-jointed...like the parts were all tracked to a click, then the drums were programmed. Doesn't have that "locked in" feeling, though it's in perfect time.

Vox are very good....Like the guitars, too.

Rob
    tyacko
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/25 08:32:21 (permalink)
    Kev - Thanks for listening and your detailed feedback. Yeah, there is definitely a pattern of people talking about the low-end and the lack of punch to the mix. I'm wondering if I have too much buss compression going on plus too much limiting as well. When I get back in the studio, I'll listen and check that out. At that time, I'll look at the frequencies of the kick and bass. I have a feeling you are probably right on that. Thanks!

BOBK - Thanks for listening and your feedback. Interesting comments you've provided. Makes me think about the mix and how we really want it presented.

Venus - Thanks for listening. Yeah, I'm going to check the overall mix again. Compression/Limiting may be squashing those vocals.

mgh - Thanks for listening and the suggestions. We are using Superior 2 (if I remember correctly) kit. I think my problem here is that I pushed up the Ambience on the drums, but may have overdone it because it looses some of the punch. It's is a double-edged sword at times, because I've had people comment before that the drums sound too dry. I'll keep at it.

jamesyoyo - Thanks for listening. A very politically correct way of saying "I didn't like the mix". Thank you very much for your honesty. It is appreciated. I'm working on it!

Heckxx - Thanks for listening and your suggestions. I'm definitely going to consider some different ways at the verses and see which ones present the best end result.

Our SoundClick page

JudZilla
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/25 09:56:12 (permalink)
    Hi,

Great sounding song with some really nice musical ideas/arrangements. Agree with comments about the drums, need to be brought up a little. The snare sounds a little weak also, but that's personal taste I think :)

The second section (From about 1:05) where the lead wah guitar comes in sounds quite muddy. I think with the strum guitar and bass parts being quite busy, adding the guitar lead and vocals over the top makes it a little too busy if you see what I mean?

Generally, it's a cracking song with good singing and lyrics, with some more separation and levels adjusted slightly I think it will be awesome!

Look forward to any updates you make on this one.
    gdugan
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1118
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/25 12:39:45 (permalink)
    Tom,

This really rocks, and the performances are excellent. Vocals are superb, as always. To my ears here at work, it sounds like the Kick drum could use more "thump" to really nail the accented beats. I'll check this out again when I get home and can listen in a better environment.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/25 12:48:11 (permalink)
    Not to say I didn't appreciate the mix, it just ain't my usual thing. Doesn't mean it's not good. If it was bad I would crap all over it!
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/25 23:05:23 (permalink)
    Je ne sais pas comment j'ai pu rater cette chanson. Désolé!

C'est une bonne chanson mon ami.

Bein joué!

Salut
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/25 23:44:56 (permalink)
    Great song, bring those vox up ;-)

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    tyacko
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/26 07:59:34 (permalink)
    Taylor_514C (Doug) - Thanks for giving the song a listen and providing your comments. I like the song because it has a great groove to it.

alkie - Thanks for listening and critiquing. I have definitely been hearing about the muddy/punch stuff. We have plans (hopefully this weekend) to get back at it and see if we can clear up those problems.

Tap - Thanks for listening and the feedback. We are definitely taking a look at any timing issues. I know that Chuck felt the rolls in spots for the drums weren't as tight as they needed to be. So, we'll nudge some of those around to get them tighter. We are also looking at simplifying the guitars when those keyboard parts come in. This might help with some of the busy-ness issue.

Blipp - Thanks for listening and the nice comments to the song. I like it that it has a 70s vinyl sound. I'll take it!

Guitarhacker - Thanks for listening. There is definitely a pattern brewing (muddy/lacks punch). We have game plans to try to attack both of those problems this weekend. I'll probably let everyone know when I've updated the song and hope that you all would listen and provide feedback again. Again, thanks.

GrottoRob - Thanks for listening and providing interesting comments. Well, we definitely start our songs from a tempo/click track. Not sure how that can be resolved as it makes syncing of parts and editing to downbeats easier.

JudZilla - Thanks for listening. We are definitely going to have another go-round at it this weekend with the hopes of addressing the valuable comments/suggestions you and everyone has provided. Stay tuned!

gdugan Gary, thanks for listening and providing the info on the kick drum I'll take a look at that and see if we can get a better sound from the kick.

jamesyoyo - No problem James. Just having some fun with your original comments. We are all trying to help each other and I appreciate that very much.

foxwolfen - Спасибо для прослушивания и обеспечение обратной связи с международной музыкой. Мой вопрос к вам, то почему по-французски?

robby - Thanks for listening. We will be working on a new mix, I'll keep the vocals in mind.

Thanks again to everyone who listened and especially everyone who commented. We will be going back "into the lab" this weekend in the effort of applying the suggestions everyone has made. Especially with the hopes that an improved version will come out of it. I'll post it when done and if you would be so kind and to listen again I'd appreciate it.

Tom

Our SoundClick page

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/26 10:27:17 (permalink)
    You are welcome.

Why French? Honestly, I do not know. Probably just because I am nuts.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/26 12:33:26 (permalink)
    Would like to hear the vocals a little cleare in the mix as well.....really cool groove thats a little off kilter in the verse that adds to the vibe...really cool snare sound! This kind of reminds me of the late great Kevin Gilbert....Good song that held my attention all the way through....nice job!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/26 14:24:27 (permalink)
    Excellent song Tom, really like this. I'm out of step with some of the comments above in that I like the mix and the slightly 'loose' feel - suits the song perfectly for me.

Vocals are very good indeed, as is the writing and arrangement - thumbs up!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    tyacko
    RE: Song Critique: Disappear - Rock 2009/03/28 15:45:33 (permalink)
    Updated 3/28/09

Hi All,

Here is another attempt. We hope we've improved it. I guess we'll soon see...

Tom

Our SoundClick page

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1