Upgraded from Music Creator 6 Touch to Sonar X3! First impressions...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
DaveG74
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2014/04/06 11:01:28 (permalink)

Upgraded from Music Creator 6 Touch to Sonar X3! First impressions...

SEE LAST POST.

In July 2013, I purchased Music Creator 6 at Best Buy for $32. I'm thrilled to have such a robust DAW with flexibility, versatility and an overwhelmingly generous selection of instruments, synths and drum kits.

After these several months learning MC6, I'm feeling a need for more instruments.
In an unrelated pursuit, I intend to start buying software via digital download rather than disc.

That's when I discovered these items at the Cakewalk Store:
SoundCenter 10-Sound Pack Bundle, $80: 10 SoundCenter sound packs to use with MC6/MC6T
MC Complete Sound Studio Bundle, $125 [DL]: MC6T with all 19 Instrument Packs
Sonar X3, $105 [DL]: A convenient upgrade altogether, but not as an instrument bundle like MC6T

All three products are viable opportunities for a cost-effective upgrade. I'm giddy with excitement, but also baffled as to what to do. Initially, I just wanted more instrument packs, but now I'm also curious about the benefits of upgrading to Sonar. (In turn, I'm still trying to remember that I'm an amateur composer. Since July, I've spent more time studying MC6 than actually composing music.)

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Thanks!
post edited by Grundberg - 2014/04/21 21:43:10

32 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/06 11:05:26 (permalink)
    The X3 series is the way to go. I would point out that you are looking at the wrong price for the Basic version of X3, as a registered user of a Cakewalk product you qualify for this price ($49) http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CXSR3.00-30E and with your budget (~$150) you can upgrade to X3 Studio http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CXSS3.00-30E 

Here is a comparison of X3 features http://www.cakewalk.com/p..cts/sonar/versions.aspx
    post edited by scook - 2014/04/15 21:26:21
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/12 09:25:39 (permalink)
    Thanks, Scook, for the response! Your price observation is noted, and that's a great deal. I guess my intention was to buy the full product. (Doesn't an upgrade require you to have the initial purchase product on hand?)

Once again, my option is to either:
    - Buy the MC6T + instrument pack bundle [DL]
    - Buy a Sonar product [DL], then buy an instrument pack bundle separately (more expensive option)

I do have a few curiosities that the Cakewalk store doesn't seem to answer:
    1) Does MC6/MC6T offer anything that Sonar does not?
    2) I've read that Sonar's instruments/synths are "better" than in MC6. How are they better; in what way?
    3) Does Sonar actually have more instruments than MC6?

I have not found a MC6T vs Sonar comparison chart...
    Thanks again.
    post edited by Grundberg - 2014/04/12 09:44:26
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/12 09:51:28 (permalink)
    Upgrades are full versions of the product at a special price.

The MC series is based on SONAR. The current version of MC is a limited version of X2.
    SONAR includes the MC6T plug-ins and more. Session Drummer is an example of a better instrument plug-in. A sample based plug-in with up to 12 stereo outputs, one for each pad.

There is a comparison of MC6T and X2 here
    You will have to make your own comparison to X3 using the X3 features link above
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/12 10:55:33 (permalink)
    scook
    Upgrades are full versions of the product at a special price.

There is a comparison of MC6T and X2 here

Thanks for the comparison link! I didn't think to check my MC6 documentation for that table.

So you're saying that the actual upgrade product doesn't require me to keep my MC6? I don't want to have to keep it around. (I would assume it would install off my MC6 registration key, so I would have to retain that...)
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/12 11:08:46 (permalink)
    Right. The upgrade reference is for pricing only. The product itself is a complete and separate program with it's own serial # and registration.
    I agree with scook.
    The 5 star reason for moving to X3 would be breaking free of that pesky 8 synth limit in MC6.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/12 11:09:10 (permalink)
    You are not allowed to resell or give away your copy of MC6 but there is no requirement to have it installed. The upgrade versions of SONAR are the full retail versions of the product. No prior installation or registration codes are required. Cakewalk trusts you to do the right thing. As a registered user of a Cakewalk product, you are entitled to upgrade pricing of their product line.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/13 03:17:05 (permalink)
    Grundberg,
    you are getting some great advice here from posters that have been a round awhile .
    I think M C 6 touch is a fabulous program especially for what it costs , I have it on my Win 8 lap top w X3 e PE 

if you look at this X 3 comparison chart you can see what covers some of the M C 6 territory ….
    except M C 6 does it with lots of limitations 

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar/versions.aspx 

now if you went for X3 for $49…..you would have unlocked a lot more power …
    even though M C 6 has some of the same instruments and plugs …
    there are no longer instrument or track limits and you can work in a 64 bit music app 
    I happen to like the Sonutis plugins , they are very good plugs and you would get those in X3 ….

as an add on out side of an upgrade they cost $99 bucks 
    http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=36-CWSF3.31-10E

I think the best thing you could do is to go for  X3 studio …if you can swing it 
    by doing that you add some very powerful synths and plugins that Music Creator doesnt have ….  
    Cakewalk bundles some really great tools in the various versions of SONAR
    when i started doing the math on how much it costs to pick up some of these synths and plugin suites  ala cart   
    as ad ons it becomes pretty obvious what the best plan is 

good luck in what ever you decide to do ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/13 07:48:40 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you for the valuable responses! I've had MC6 since July and I guess the idea came up when I started noticing some of my visible restrictions with the software (no take lanes, 8-synth instrument limit...)

I'm grateful for the fact that I can get a Sonar product upgrade for a reduced price and not have to retain my MC6 disc (although I still might). In the past -- for example, with Paint Shop Pro -- you had to have a previous disc to enjoy the upgrade. But you had to keep that disc as long as you have that upgrade on hand.

I do have a mild case of OCD. I guess that's why I had initially wanted to just pay in full for the core product than something that has UPGRADE stamped all over it. I guess technically, when you're installing a product and then installing the next version upgrade on top of that, it feels kind of...artificial.

At any rate, I may purchase Sonar sometime soon. Everything I've learned from MC6 serves as preparation for that decision...
    post edited by Grundberg - 2014/04/13 07:50:10
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/13 08:27:46 (permalink)
    Yup.... do the upgrade if only to get away from that 8 synth limit.  You will pick up some few features in X3. 

I moved up to X1 for the very same reason.... a few new features, no limit on synths and more than 2 inputs..... not that I use those things even now..... but they are available to me.

As far as adding new instruments..... even MC6 will handle adding tons of new things. (with that pesky 8 synth limit).  When I had MC4 as my main DAW, I was buying and picking up a wide variety of synths, samples, and FX and using them all in MC4.

In addition to the sound center packs and the deals cake offers..... look at the Native Instrument stuff as well. They have a bunch of cool synths and sample libraries that are excellent. Pro quality sounds. As a composer, that is the primary thing to consider.... does it sound real? 

As you look around, there are more sample libraries and synths than you have money to buy. Some of the better ones are quite pricey and generally out of the financial affordability range of the hobbyist. When you get to the level of scoring Hollywood films, you will be able to afford them.

Keep a watch over in the Software Forum here on Cake. That is where you will find posts about the latest deals and offerings that fellow cakers have discovered. Everything from the deals in the cakewalk store to deals on the most obscure synth no one ever heard of and everything in between. I look in every so often because you never know when, for example, East West will give away a free version of something......yup, I snagged a free working version of E/W when they gave it away, complete with some sweet string samples..... or someone finds a "no-brainer" stupid price deal on some really cool synth or FX...again, I picked up a cool "spacial enhancer" for free from one forumite's posted link, directly from the company that makes it.

You will also learn, from the reviews and comments on certain products, which ones rock your world and which ones are a total waste of time and money.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/14 17:12:44 (permalink)
    Thanks again for the information. Upon more examination of the differences between Music Creator 6 and Sonar X3 -- namely instruments -- I made some observations.  Not only does Sonar include CSC, TTS-1, and SI Drum Kits, but also SI Bass, Strings and Electric Piano.

Unfortunately, it also seems the MC6 SI Drums kit is far bigger than the one in Sonar. MC6 contains 35 programs, but Sonar only offers 18 programs. (See this video at 2:35.) "I know, I know...how many drum kits do I think I need?"

So, to prevent obsessive overthinking, I must ask:
    1) Am I correct to assume that the SI programs are not different instruments, but different presets of the very same instrument? (If yes, then perhaps a difference in variety won't matter much).
    2) Does the SoundCenter selection differ significantly between the two products?

I guess I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by losing a bunch of instruments through this upgrade.

EDIT: Using my MC6 registration code, I downloaded MC6 Touch for free from the web site! I'm so excited, I didn't know this offer was available.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/14 17:25:06 (permalink)
    SONAR includes Session Drummer 3 too.

The Studio Instrument Drums video is pretty old, describing the original release (and name) of the product. Pretty sure there is only one version of SI-Drums, my SI-Drums contains 35 programs (I have X1-X3 Producer installed).

There is only one Cakewalk Sound Center.

If there is any concern about sample and program difference between SONAR and MC6, leave MC6 installed when installing X3. There is so much overlap between Cakewalk products, prior versions and products do not take that much disc space.
    post edited by scook - 2014/04/14 17:51:13
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/14 17:57:25 (permalink)
    scook
    SONAR includes Session Drummer 3 too.

The Studio Instrument Drums video is pretty old, describing the original release (and name) of the product. Pretty sure there is only one version of SI-Drums, my SI-Drums contains 35 programs (I have X1-X3 Producer installed).

Just upgraded to my free MC6 Touch! I love it so far. Immediately spotted some of the added features (take lanes, automation buttons) and visual and functional enhancements (smoother fonts, enhanced textures and panes)

You were right about the SI instruments. Those videos I viewed were rather old, as the variety of SI instruments is outstanding! (45 Piano, 35 Drum, 45 String and 60+ Bass...yowza!)

I'm so pleased with this upgrade thus far! (Still looking forward to buying Sonar.)

post edited by Grundberg - 2014/04/15 20:58:39
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 20:32:28 (permalink)
    So, just wanted to confirm that I can upgrade straight from MC6T to Sonar X3 Studio -- although, on the purchase page, in the Checkout corner, it doesn't specify that exact transition.

Also want to confirm that the upgrades are the actual full products for which my previous version needs not be retained.

Do Cakewalk products have an activation limit? I am a PC enthusiast and I do rebuild/upgrade my PC occasionally.

Last question: disc or download, does it matter? I prefer the download, but I don't want any unforeseen restrictions going that way.
    Thanks again for all of your guys' knowledge on these topics... :)
    post edited by Grundberg - 2014/04/15 21:03:00
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 21:27:20 (permalink)
    As the registered user of a Cakewalk product, you qualify for the "Upgrade for any registered customer" price.

Yes, currently all SONAR upgrades are full retail versions and require no previous version of any product be installed.

No activation limits. Install as often as necessary. SONAR uses a simple Serial Number/Registration code for activation.

Keep the downloaded installers locally. It is possible to create discs similar to the physical media by expanding the downloaded installers using 7-ZIP and burning on DVD-DL. I keep several copies of all my downloaded installers and a snapshot of my registration page, just in case.
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 21:40:46 (permalink)
    scook

Keep the downloaded installers locally. It is possible to create discs similar to the physical media by expanding the downloaded installers using 7-ZIP and burning on DVD-DL. I keep several copies of all my downloaded installers and a snapshot of my registration page, just in case.

Awesome! I feel much better about the options. I'm looking forward to picking up Sonar X3 Studio within the next few days... :)
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 21:46:27 (permalink)
    At the bottom of download installation instruction page are links to tables containing information about the download installers for each version of X3
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 21:58:07 (permalink)
    Make sure to apply the X3e update for your version of X3 http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013361

Also, if you leave MC6, MC6T or have any 3rd party plug-ins on the PC, follow these instructions after installing http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013315 It won't hurt anything if you do it even if the previous products have been removed. It is a process to clear out the VST inventory from the registry and build it fresh.

With X3 both the 32bit and 64bit versions may be installed on the same machine. From quick scan of the feature list, Dreamstation, a very old synth, is the only 32bit plug-ins which cannot be used in the 64bit version. If it were me, I would not bother with the 32bit version of SONAR.
    RobertB
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 22:28:40 (permalink)
    What scook said.
    Fwiw, it won't hurt to leave MC6 on your machine. the program itself is very small.
    I actually have all of the Cakewalk programs listed in my signature installed on my laptop. I mostly use X3 Studio now, but I keep the others handy for quick reference in case a question pops up.
    As to migrating to a new machine, Cakewalk is the absolute easiest to deal with. Your registration info is always available in your account.
    Some 3rd party plug-ins are another matter, so keep detailed information about all of those.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 22:40:35 (permalink)
    RobertB
    What scook said.
    Fwiw, it won't hurt to leave MC6 on your machine. the program itself is very small.
    I actually have all of the Cakewalk programs listed in my signature installed on my laptop. I mostly use X3 Studio now, but I keep the others handy for quick reference in case a question pops up.

Agreed. On my XP machine I had SONAR 1XL though SONAR 8.5 Producer. Did not bother with the Pre-SONAR stuff. I bought a new machine almost 2 years ago and it now has SONAR X1 Producer Expanded through X3 Producer. There is a good reason to keep the original MC6 installed, MC6T not so much but won't hurt. There was a significant change in the underlying MS libraries between MC6/X1 and MC6T/X2. Adding touch to MC6T/X2 and newer had the side effect of dropping XP support and some older third party plug-ins don't work with the newer libraries.
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 22:51:46 (permalink)
    Thank you, Scook and Robert, for the wealth of information! Being so picky about this decision, I YouTube'd an install video for X3 to observe whether the retail disc install takes longer than the digital install.

Having perused the comparison chart, the right choice for me would be Sonar X3 Studio. A few extra features across the board and an extra offering of virtual instruments. Producer, much more than an amateur such as myself would ever need.

Scook: Per post #18, I bookmarked the link in question for later use. Also found a YouTube video on installing the Lame MP3 encoder and noted the related links.

I run a three-year old 64-bit Windows 7 machine. I plain on keeping my current software versions (MC6 disc and MC6T download) for a while, at least.
    post edited by Grundberg - 2014/04/15 23:00:11
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/15 23:33:03 (permalink)
    The time it takes to install depends on when the counter is started. With the disk based install you have to wait for shipping. With the download it starts with the download. After securing the disks the install happens immediately after starting the process. With the download, the install happens after all the files are extracted from the download files. Once the install starts, there are disk changes with physical media which don't happen with the download.

Integrating a 3rd party mp3 encoder is a waste of time to me. It works fine but is it just saves the intermediate step of exporting a wave file. The advantage to exporting a wave and converting it outside of SONAR is the ability to easily compare the exported wave to the converted mp3.

If you purchased the mp3 encoder for MC it may work in SONAR. I have no experience with moving between product lines and how the mp3 license is handled. I am sure some else has the answer.
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/17 18:36:25 (permalink)
    I hate to have to ask this again, but slightly confused. I sent an E-mail to Cakewalk about it yesterday, but I would like to know for sure.

This is the Checkout options box for Sonar X3 Studio (the middle package). The default is set to the $149 option. I thought a cross upgrade from MC6T to X3 was $99? And if Sonar X3 is a standalone product (that is "it's own"), why would these two options matter?

A little worried that I would have to pay $149 to upgrade when I thought it was actually $99...
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/17 18:56:18 (permalink)
    I would imagine there are two options because owners of an older version of SONAR have already paid significantly more for their DAW than owners of other Cakewalk products. But Cakewalk sales can supply the official explanation.

You may have checked the price during one of the promotions. There have been several promotions since the product was released. The picture in your post are the standard upgrade prices.

FYI, you may be able to get a better price from a third party supplier like JRRShop. I believe their NEWSLETTER15 discount code will knock 15% off the upgrade price.
    post edited by scook - 2014/04/17 19:00:29
    RobertB
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/17 23:49:01 (permalink)
    Right. You are getting the same effective price, but you are starting from a product that was at least $50 cheaper.
    You're actually getting full credit for what you have already purchased. Future upgrades aren't quite that linear.
    Fwiw, I think Studio is an excellent choice.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/18 16:17:24 (permalink)
    RobertB
    Right. You are getting the same effective price, but you are starting from a product that was at least $50 cheaper.
    You're actually getting full credit for what you have already purchased. Future upgrades aren't quite that linear.
    Fwiw, I think Studio is an excellent choice.

Okay...so in other words, although I'm upgrading from MC6T, not an earlier version of Sonar, it is okay for me to make that $99 selection? Just need to make sure because it doesn't necessarily state as such.
    RobertB
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/18 22:55:20 (permalink)
    No. It won't even accept that selection.
    Everybody upgrading from a Sonar version has spent at least $100(probably more).
    MC6 was $49. What you are seeing is the difference to pick up the slack.
    Make sense?

Basically, Cakewalk is crediting you the full price of MC6 (and a little extra)against your X3 Studio purchase, which would otherwise be $209.
    You are getting the same(or better) deal as the rest of us when you select the $149 price, even though on the surface it appears to be more.
    post edited by RobertB - 2014/04/18 23:03:33

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/18 23:12:15 (permalink)
    RobertB
    Basically, Cakewalk is crediting you the full price of MC6 (and a little extra)against your X3 Studio purchase, which would otherwise be $209.
    You are getting the same(or better) deal as the rest of us when you select the $149 price, even though on the surface it appears to be more.

I think I sort of get it. The Studio retail is $200...so that's what the $50 MC6 price is taken from?

What I don't understand is if it's the standalone product either way, what difference does it make and also -- ethically speaking -- which one am I supposed to purchase?

I'm sorry, just trying to be budget conscious and I don't understand the logic in the math. Given the fact that I thought I could upgrade for $99, I may end up just picking up the core X3 for $29 (end of April promotion). I guess what I thought initially was wrong and it just took the wind out of my sails... LOL
    post edited by Grundberg - 2014/04/18 23:45:52
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/18 23:40:15 (permalink)
    Attempting to purchase a product without the appropriate precondition, will cause the sale be voided. Upgrades go through an approval process on the back end. If there was no verification process why would anyone pay more than the lowest price shown on any product.

The April promotion for the basic version of X3 is attractive. By the time you get used to all X3 has to offer, X4 may available.
    DaveG74
    Re: Upgrade idea: MC6 Touch Bundle vs. Sonar X3 2014/04/18 23:47:27 (permalink)
    Got it, okay. That's what I needed; I'm glad I know this.

Now it's either the basic X3 ($29) or X3S ($149)...just a matter of what I want to spend/what functions I will use. Either way, I'm confident that it will be better than what I have now.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1