Upgrade questions

Author
tvolhein
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 413
2011/02/06 16:27:31 (permalink)

Upgrade questions

I am having production-stopping problems with my current computer and Sonar 6.2.1.  I emailed a detailed description of the problem to Cake support, so I won't go into the problem here.

However, my questions are these:
1)
What would be a middle of the road computer to purchase (processor, RAM, etc)?  My current computer meets minimum requirements for X1, but as my problem might be with the computer, it might be time to update it with a new computer.
2)
I plan to upgrade to Sonar 8.xx.  Is 8.xx backward compatible with my .cwp files?  I am in the middle of a project and need to solve this problem with the fewest headaches.

I am currently running XP Pro sp3.  If I get a new computer it will be Windows 7 pro.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

2 Replies Related Threads

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Upgrade questions 2011/02/06 23:24:01 (permalink)
    Do yourself a HUGE favor ... Go here and get a PC built just for use as a DAW. Or if you want to build your own, at least go there and see what kind of specs you need to meet different project requirements.

The person who works there is a member of the forums here and is extremely helpful.

8.xx will open your older projects, but there's no guarantee everything will work the same. There's always some risk.

If you own 6.2.1 there's no reason you can't install it as well as 8.5 on your new DAW. I can't remember if 6.2.1 is 32bit or 64bit. In case it's 32bit only, you can run a 32bit program on a 64bit PC with no problem.

Hope this helps, good luck.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    tvolhein
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 413
    Re:Upgrade questions 2011/02/07 09:55:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Bub, I checked out that site, they have some great computers.  If I get a new computer, I will probably get it from them.

Tom
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1