Helpful ReplyUpgrade win 10 home to pro?

Author
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
2018/06/15 23:20:51 (permalink)

Upgrade win 10 home to pro?

I do not think I will survive another win update so:

1. I'm going to keep my pc offline mostly

2. I'm going to start to use macrium disk image.

3. But also, if I upgrade home to pro, won't that also solve my problem in avoiding updates? Would this work?

I could stay offline permanently but I just like to tryout and purchase new plugins and update my software / hardware, and at night I like to take tutorials, groove 3, youtube, chandler vids, whatever and also upload and share music and film to various sites. So I like to be online a little bit.

I have one other pc, but my wife gets that one most of the time. She deserves it, she's the best!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Upgrade win 10 home to pro? 2018/06/16 00:32:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2018/06/16 02:10:16
Win10 Home to Pro upgrade is $99 at the Microsoft store.

The Group Policy Editor is available in Pro (for now), but not in Home, and that offers some additional options for control over the Home edition. 

For example: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > “Configure Automatic Updates”

“If the status for this policy is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, search for Windows Update using Start.”

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
robbyk
Re: Upgrade win 10 home to pro? 2018/06/16 02:18:46 (permalink)
That "for now' caveat has me worried but what's a poor boy do to. I'm doing an image next week and then if the update kills me I am calling it quits to recording forever, and computing...All I really need is my best little friend, my SJ Jumbo Gibson, my other best friend (Brittany spaniel) is waiting for me in heaven. I just don't have time for messin' around anymore...

I really appreciate the kind and timely help and info! If all goes well, I will upgrade to the pro version on the basis of what you've shown me.

Best, Robby K 

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Upgrade win 10 home to pro? 2018/06/16 23:26:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2018/06/17 17:46:48
robbyk
That "for now' caveat has me worried but what's a poor boy do to. I'm doing an image next week and then if the update kills me I am calling it quits to recording forever, and computing...All I really need is my best little friend, my SJ Jumbo Gibson, my other best friend (Brittany spaniel) is waiting for me in heaven. I just don't have time for messin' around anymore...

I really appreciate the kind and timely help and info! If all goes well, I will upgrade to the pro version on the basis of what you've shown me.

Yup, I think it's an unadvertised feature, but Win10 Pro has been serving me well for almost 2 years.

Most folks just use the default options in Win10 Pro to select deferrals to feature updates.  But recent reports indicate that Microsoft may not always be respecting those settings.  In my experience with the Group Policy settings described earlier, I have not received any surprise updates.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
robbyk
Re: Upgrade win 10 home to pro? 2018/06/17 17:46:43 (permalink)
abacab
robbyk

Yup, I think it's an unadvertised feature, but Win10 Pro has been serving me well for almost 2 years.

Most folks just use the default options in Win10 Pro to select deferrals to feature updates.  But recent reports indicate that Microsoft may not always be respecting those settings.  In my experience with the Group Policy settings described earlier, I have not received any surprise updates.

Yes, after much consternation, I think I will just go with that as well, that really is great advice...then bag it and forget it...

They're gonna do what they want anyway, the update this week took out my wife's webcam just before her important Skype meeting. Way to go Mucrosoft!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1