Helpful ReplyUpgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates

Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2017/11/25 01:17:22 (permalink)

Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates

It seems the only way to stop updates, is by upgrading to Windows Pro for $99.

Are there any other real benefits for the Audio Set up with Pro?

Are there cheaper places to purchase the upgrade product key?

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/25 04:30:04 (permalink)
I have Windows 10 Pro (upgrade from Windows 7 Pro) and I can recommend it highly!

The major plus is the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), that lets you set administrative overrides on various features.
So regarding updates, you can completely disable automatic updates.  Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > All Settings > Configure Automatic Updates.

If the status for this policy is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, search for Windows Update using Start.

With automatic updates disabled, you can now choose "check for updates" from the "Settings > Windows Update" panel.  Until you do the manual check, nothing will update automativcally.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/25 09:52:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/11/26 14:32:54
Kamikaze
It seems the only way to stop updates, is by upgrading to Windows Pro for $99.

Are there any other real benefits for the Audio Set up with Pro?

Are there cheaper places to purchase the upgrade product key?

if you stay offline (for most of the time) you could simply disable the win update service. i did that on one older machine where i did not feel like buying into win10 pro (for 4 other PCs i did and i'm happy with, though).

basically if it is an all purpose computer i'd go with win10 pro. if it's a DAW with no other use, you can stick to what you have, disable updates, and every half year or year allow it to update (in case you acquire some really hot new software) but take a disk image before

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/25 11:13:45 (permalink)
Regardless of what anyone tells you, you don't have to upgrade to Pro version to stop updates, they will tell you this and that and the other, the fact is you can permanently disable updates with the Home version very easily, and if you choose you can re enable updates whenever you wish. I have a couple of Windows 10 Home PC's and Laptops, and a couple of Windows 10 Pro Pc's and Laptops, they all have updates disabled and have had for a long time, and they all remain on the same Windows 10 version and build number. All are permanently connected to the net.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/25 11:36:44 (permalink)
I have 10 Pro on my desktop DAW and 10 Home on a Laptop and updates enabled on both.  To date I have not had any problems with any update/upgrade.  I have had to reauthorize some add-ons after an "upgrade" but I don't consider that a big deal.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
abacab
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/25 17:46:11 (permalink)
If you plan to keep using Sonar for years, it would probably be wise to lock down your Windows 10 on a dedicated PC.  Take it offline, or whatever...

Since there will never be any more "fixes" from the Cakewalk devs to ensure compatibility with changes Microsoft may introduce in the future, it would be a crap shoot to keep updating your OS, but not your DAW.

Alternatively, if you have an imaging workflow, that will be allow you to keep archiving a version of Windows known to be compatible with the last version of Sonar (2017.10).  So you could stay online safely that way, which may be necessary on a multi-use PC.  Then if an update to Win 10 someday breaks Sonar, you could roll back to an earlier image, and then think about going completely offline.

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/25 18:39:23 (permalink)
I'm one of those that will be switching DAWs.  I purchased Studio One 3 Pro at Sweetwater black Friday 1/2 off sale.  Sonar works and does what I want, but at some point a Windows update will do it in.  I don't have the luxury of a dedicated PC that I can use.  But as it will probably be a while it gives me lots of time to learn Studio One 3.

I had a freebie version of Studio One 3, that I got with a Presonus purchase, but never did much with it as it was limited to two tracks.  Guess I should have been learning it anyway.  

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
keneds
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/25 19:10:39 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
Regardless of what anyone tells you, you don't have to upgrade to Pro version to stop updates, they will tell you this and that and the other, the fact is you can permanently disable updates with the Home version very easily, and if you choose you can re enable updates whenever you wish. I have a couple of Windows 10 Home PC's and Laptops, and a couple of Windows 10 Pro Pc's and Laptops, they all have updates disabled and have had for a long time, and they all remain on the same Windows 10 version and build number. All are permanently connected to the net.

How do I disable updates?

SONAR Platinum  
Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

Kamikaze
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/26 02:20:46 (permalink)
keneds
Matron Landslide

Me too? What do you do?

Thanks for the replies.

I figure with an image of my system, then I can stay online, and should anything cause and issue, I'd just go back to that image. I use my system for more than just sonar, and will lay out for my next when this one dies.

Seems the only real perk to Windows Pro 10 and Home 10 for the studio user is just updates prevention.

abacab
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/26 03:40:43 (permalink)
Kamikaze

Seems the only real perk to Windows Pro 10 and Home 10 for the studio user is just updates prevention.

Bottom line yes, there are ways to "hack" Windows 10 Home to prevent updates.

But if you are not a PC nerd, or don't care to spend the time learning how, Windows 10 Pro offers a solid solution with Group Policy Editor, for now.  They may break the ability of Pro to prevent updates in the future, requiring an enterprise license, but that is speculation.  Microsoft... SMH!!!

Kamikaze
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/26 05:06:39 (permalink)
Any clues on how?

Hugh Mann
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/26 06:16:18 (permalink)
keneds
Matron Landslide

I have home and have updates disabled.  Very easy.  Right click on the task bar and select Task Manager.  Select the Services tab.  Open Services.  Scroll down to Windows Update.  Right click and select Properties.  Under Start Up Type, select Disabled.  Under Status hit Stop.  Click apply and ok and close out of all the tabs.  No more updates.  When you are ready to update again,  re enable this service and you can update again. 
Kamikaze
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/26 06:59:06 (permalink)
Cool, thank you.

abacab
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/26 14:31:36 (permalink)
This article covers all of the options...

A workaround to Turn Off Windows Update in Windows 10
http://www.thewindowsclub...s-update-in-windows-10

abacab
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/26 14:37:40 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]

if you stay offline (for most of the time) you could simply disable the win update service. i did that on one older machine where i did not feel like buying into win10 pro (for 4 other PCs i did and i'm happy with, though).

basically if it is an all purpose computer i'd go with win10 pro. if it's a DAW with no other use, you can stick to what you have, disable updates, and every half year or year allow it to update (in case you acquire some really hot new software) but take a disk image before

IMHO, this is probably the best advice.  Stay offline if you wish to avoid updates.  If you do need to go online, you really should do so only with a fully patched Windows! 

Get a cheap second PC, or a Chromebook or something, to go online with.  Dedicate your DAW PC to offline use.

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/27 23:34:42 (permalink)
My understanding of the kill windows update service kludge is that the service will be periodically turned back on by Windows and that it will only stop "feature updates." Security updates and other "quality updates" are not loaded via the update service. That said, the custom setting for windows update in the group policy editor of Windows 10 Pro also only affects the "feature updates." I have been refreshing my information in this regard lately since a November security patch killed my printer functionality, but if anyone can point me to a reference that works on blocking all updates I would appreciate it. Disconnecting from the internet will stop Microsoft from screwing up your installation, leaving you with a zombie installation that will keep working as it was prior to pulling the plug, but it will not enable you to fix existing issues. A firewall that whitelists only the site you need may let you do things like online activation of new plugins, but there is no way to pick and choose which Windows updates you get.
abacab
Re: Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates 2017/11/28 02:25:28 (permalink)
You can pick and choose your updates on Windows 10 using the Microsoft 'wushowhide' utility.

How to Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-show-windows-updates-windows-10-a.html

I have been able to prevent every 'feature update' until I am ready using this method (I stay about 6 months behind this way). 

And fyi, by disabling automatic updates in the Win 10 Pro Group Policy Editor (GPEDIT), neither the monthly security or quality updates are ever downloaded, until I click on 'check for updates'. 

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1