Upgrading from Home Studio 6XL to 7XL

Author
newysurfer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
2008/10/27 01:27:27 (permalink)

Upgrading from Home Studio 6XL to 7XL

Hi,
I've had Home Studio 6XL for over a year and have just received the 7XL upgrade pack from Cakewalk. Before I install it I have the following question.

I've currently set-up 6XL on a PC with Windows XL. I have a Soundblaster Live X-Fi Extreme Music soundcard. I've set up the Midi, ASIO drivers and ExDrummer VST plug-in as my preferred drum looper.

I wanna keep this exact same set-up when I install 7XL.
But when 7XL installs will it automatically apply my 6XL settings or do I have to go thru the tedious task of re-configuring the whole thing again from scratch.

Took me hours when I did it before and I can't remember exactly how, so would like to avoid it.
If I have to are there any idiot proof instructions or shortcuts for it. I don't call the Help idiot proof.
The Help in 6XL is as clear as mud IMHO.

thanks

Listen to my recordings on my Soundclick page
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=792315

3 Replies Related Threads

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Upgrading from Home Studio 6XL to 7XL 2008/10/27 04:35:30 (permalink)
    HS7 should migrate the settings from your HS6 setup, however, what "should" happen and what "does" happen are often entirely different.

If you're really concerned, a simple way to CYA is to take screenshots (captures, whatever) of the configuration settings in HS6...If you have problems you can always refer to those pics to compare settings...Or, you could just do it the old-fashioned way and write down the settings of the critical components (soundcard, audio options, global settings, etc.,)...

Whatever you do, do NOT uninstall HS6 before installing HS7...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Papa
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: Upgrading from Home Studio 6XL to 7XL 2008/10/27 05:43:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: papa2004

HS7 should migrate the settings from your HS6 setup, however, what "should" happen and what "does" happen are often entirely different.

If you're really concerned, a simple way to CYA is to take screenshots (captures, whatever) of the configuration settings in HS6...If you have problems you can always refer to those pics to compare settings...Or, you could just do it the old-fashioned way and write down the settings of the critical components (soundcard, audio options, global settings, etc.,)...

Whatever you do, do NOT uninstall HS6 before installing HS7...

Hope this helps.

+1 Excellent advise!

I have often jot down notes, even I can't remember everything LOL!!

OT: The other thing that unsettles me is having to go online to register thirdy-party plugins again after re-installing or changing PC components. At least Cakewalk has a good policy which saves a lot of mucking around and guess what? No dongles! YAY!!

newysurfer
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Upgrading from Home Studio 6XL to 7XL 2008/10/27 05:44:54 (permalink)
    yeah - thanks for that Papa.

will take your advice

Listen to my recordings on my Soundclick page
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=792315
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1