Upgrading my Dell

Author
Gar23
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2008/10/12 13:35:19 (permalink)

Upgrading my Dell

I'm looking to upgrade my Dell Dimension 4500 (bought in 2002 with no major changes other than a new 512 ram stick) so that I can start collecting some EastWest products.
I currently have a DMX6fire sound card which I may decide to upgrade but for right now i am looking into getting a 1TB harddrive from samsung and probably throwing another 512 ram stick in. I also am running XP under a 2.4GHZ processor with no intention of going to Vista anytime in the near future.

I'll admit i know next to nothing about hardware. Something like this has got to be a bit more complicated than just taking out the old and throwing in the new right? Should i be considering a new mother board and power supply as well? Or should I scrap this idea and just shell out for a new computer?
Thanks

-Gar

11 Replies Related Threads

ear noise
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/12 17:28:49 (permalink)
    I beleive that Dell system will only hold two 512 MB sticks of DDR ram. I've also heard that some of Dell's power supplies are not the standard size and an aftermarket power supply cannot be used if your's fails.

1) Is this computer used for audio only or is it your primary computer used for everything?

2) Have you outgrown your present system or is it still working for you?

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/12 17:39:32 (permalink)
    I beleive that Dell system will only hold two 512 MB sticks of DDR ram

That's not necessarily true - you have to look at each Dell computer individually. The Dell I had been using as my DAW had 2 DDR slots which could hold 1G in each (and that's what I had upgraded them to).

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/12 17:42:37 (permalink)
    I have thought about upgrading an exisiting dell to do just recording..... however.... they have lots of CPU hogging programs on them, that you don't need..... but, I guess the questions ear noise asked should be answered first.

Then, what you want to do depends on a few things.... What are you reecording with it? Audio...midi, how many tracks do you use.... how many FX are you plugging in... do you have many synths installed in the average project.... how big are the sound sample librarys you are working with...... all these things and more will determine if upgrading what you have...or stepping up to a custome rig, will be to your advantage.

BTW: you can build a custom computer these days that flat out screams, for under $800 including monitor....and it's not loaded with all the factory programs (TSR's) that suck CPU cycles..... it's just a lean, mean, recording machine. My current Dell lappy works ok but I'm considering the custom route myself.

Ask Beagle about his new build!

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/12 17:45:03

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/12 19:16:10 (permalink)
    Dells are tough to upgrade beyond a certain point. As ear noise pointed out, their power supplies are non-standard, and I've found this to be true of their motherboards as well. The best route is to get a ready-made DAW from a company that builds them all the time, but if you're willing to endure some experimentation (and possibly pain), rolling your own can be a valid path, too. Start out with a great case (not a good one), a motherboard that will support the newest, best processors on the market, and a good, quiet power supply. Get a modest processor that will get you running but won't be too much of a bottleneck. Get the fastest RAM that the board will take, but just buy the quantity that you can afford now -- you can add the rest later. That will break you out of the Dell strangle-hold and get you something that can be upgraded.
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/13 00:05:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

Dells are tough to upgrade beyond a certain point. As ear noise pointed out, their power supplies are non-standard, .....

Sorry, but this is not entirely accurate.

Not all dells use a non-standard power supply, to the best of my knowledge it was only models made up until 2002 or so using a non-standard ATX power supply. After that, I believe they switched to the ATX format. But still I would examine this on a case by case basis and not make a general assumption.

Still, it is not that an ATX power supply won't work in a model that came with a non-standard ATX, so long as the ATX will fit inside an older case physically. It's more a matter of the mounting holes, a/c inlet, or on off switch not lining up properly. While this may be a hurdle to some, it shouldn't be to someone who is handy with a drill and or dremel.

Cheeto
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/13 00:20:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Gar23

I'm looking to upgrade my Dell Dimension 4500 (bought in 2002 with no major changes other than a new 512 ram stick) so that I can start collecting some EastWest products.
    I currently have a DMX6fire sound card which I may decide to upgrade but for right now i am looking into getting a 1TB harddrive from samsung and probably throwing another 512 ram stick in. I also am running XP under a 2.4GHZ processor with no intention of going to Vista anytime in the near future.

I'll admit i know next to nothing about hardware. Something like this has got to be a bit more complicated than just taking out the old and throwing in the new right? Should i be considering a new mother board and power supply as well? Or should I scrap this idea and just shell out for a new computer?
    Thanks

-Gar

The question you have to ask yourself, is my current pc getting the job done efficiently for my needs? If I were you, I would get the software first, then worry about upgrading things. Only having 512K seems a bit lean, trying an extra 512K module may do wonders for very little extra money.

But after you get the software you want, another memory stick, and things still don't work out, I feel it would be a waste of money upgrading further and best choice is for a new computer.
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/13 20:02:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cheeto

Dells are tough to upgrade beyond a certain point. As ear noise pointed out, their power supplies are non-standard, .....

Sorry, but this is not entirely accurate.

Not all dells use a non-standard power supply, to the best of my knowledge it was only models made up until 2002 or so using a non-standard ATX power supply. After that, I believe they switched to the ATX format. But still I would examine this on a case by case basis and not make a general assumption.

Still, it is not that an ATX power supply won't work in a model that came with a non-standard ATX, so long as the ATX will fit inside an older case physically. It's more a matter of the mounting holes, a/c inlet, or on off switch not lining up properly. While this may be a hurdle to some, it shouldn't be to someone who is handy with a drill and or dremel.

My Dell was from 2004 and definitely had a non-standard power supply. The case and the motherboard were also proprietary. After maxing out the RAM, the only thing left to do was an incremental upgrade to the processor. I ended up giving it to my little sister so she could IM her freakshow friends.

Thanks for the correction, but I still think upgrading a Dell is a dead-end street.
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/10/13 21:40:30
    Cheeto
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/14 01:41:11 (permalink)
    Jessie,

Was your computer one of those fancy slimline models that Dell produced? I don't want to assume, but I'm guessing it is/was.

While I didn't exactly clarify, my statement was referring to their more or less "standard" case (actual size varying of course ) desktop models. I almost forgot they made those little slimmed down desktop versions, which in that respect I can fully understand why upgrading and or replacing anything could be a royal pita, and the statement I made previously does not apply.

However, If we are talking about regular full sized desktops, I'll still stick to what I already mentioned.

I own a 2004 model as well, and when the power supply went bad, was confronted with all the info on the net about proprietary dell psu's. This was not the situation as it was a standard ATX. Also on the particular model I own, there isn't any proprietary hardware inside nor the case itself.

And if you believe "upgrading a dell is a dead end street", then hey that's cool, I'm not here to convince you otherwise, you are more than entitled to your own opinion. However if that statement referred to the slimline models only then I agree, but if we are talking about somewhat standard case size (and probably more widely sold), then I respectfully disagree.

Jessie Sammler
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/14 20:35:08 (permalink)
    Actually, it was a Dimension 2400 -- not one of those slim Optiplex cases. I don't know; I think it was the last year they made those.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you should determine whether any upgrades you're looking at will work with what you have, or if you're better off starting a new build.
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/10/14 20:40:43
    Cheeto
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/15 03:48:07 (permalink)
    After re-reading this entire thread there seems to be some slight confusion here,

IMO, the best advice for the OP is in posts #2, #4 and #7

@Beagle, I think ear noise was refering to Gar23's 4500 system in post #2, which in that refrence he is absolutely correct, 1024k is the max for the OP's particular system.

Actually, it was a Dimension 2400 -- not one of those slim Optiplex cases. I don't know; I think it was the last year they made those.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you should determine whether any upgrades you're looking at will work with what you have, or if you're better off starting a new build.

@Jessie, Well I'm kinda suprised you said that because in your previous posts seemed somewhat biased, but you did have a few valid points about rolling your own. Furthermore to set the record straight, I'm 99.999% sure a Dimension 2400 Does not have a non-standard PSU, a proprietary board, nor a proprietary case. But who cares anyway, the point of this thread is not us debating, but to help the OP and others who may read this thread looking for advice.

@Gar23, IMO what it boils down to is this, if adding a second stick of 512K to your current system doesn't fulfill your needs (which is only a $20 gamble btw), then you need a faster processor, and since the P4 can only be upgraded so far (only minimal gains), you will probably want a dual or a quad core which requires a new motherboard too. If you do that, then you'll have to buy new memory, and a new PSU too. The $$$ add up fast, now were talkin' $450+ and you'll need to do the work yourself. At that point, why not just buy a nice "bare bones" system with all that ready to go plus a new case, and maybe a new cd/dvd-rw included. Then re-use your HD from your dell as C: drive. OR if you have the necessary funds, buy a pro DAW pc from one of the nice people on this forum and let them take care of the rest.
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Upgrading my Dell 2008/10/15 18:37:56 (permalink)
    Furthermore to set the record straight, I'm 99.999% sure a Dimension 2400 Does not have a non-standard PSU, a proprietary board, nor a proprietary case.

Damnit. My sister's going to be so pissed when she gets home and finds her computer in pieces because I just had to find out.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1