Upgrading the VS-700C and VS-700R to run on Windows 10

Author
louisodwyer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2015/12/04 06:11:40 (permalink)

Upgrading the VS-700C and VS-700R to run on Windows 10

I've seen other posts about this, so here’s my story...

I bought the 700C and 700R about 5-6 years ago, running on Win7 32-bit (I had latency issues back then with 64-bit), very happy with it, it’s the centre-piece of my music room (I’m not a professional).

So, time to upgrade an keep the system going for another five years.
Got the free upgrade to Win10, edited the RDIF1089.inf, as documented in other posts.
It didn’t work. Well, it sort of half-worked.
I nearly gave up then, but I started checking from scratch.  Of course, in my stupidity, I had never upgraded my firmware, they were both at v1.00.
I went through the whole convoluted process of upgrading the firmware to 1.30/1.30 for the rack/phantom and 1.31 for the console.  It was ok, just the bit where the console has to be configured as a stand-alone USB device was tiresome, but it all worked.

I then installed a fresh copy of Win7 Ultimate 64-bit (I kept my Win7 32-bit with my dual-boot system).
I got the free upgrade to Win10 and installed it, so then I was running a clean version of Windows 10 Pro.

I disabled the Driver Signature Enforcement by opening a Command Prompt with Administrator rights and typing in these two lines:
BCDEDIT -Set LoadOptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
BCDEDIT -Set TESTSIGNING ON

I downloaded the vs700_wind-v202.zip, edited the RDIF1089.inf and went to install it.
It asked me to uninstall first and reboot, which I did and then it installed successfully.
I could now use the VS700 Main as a Windows playback source.
I also installed the V-700 Control Surface plug-in version 1.2 update.

I then installed Sonar Platinum and fired it up. I selected the V-700 Control Surface.
Most of the Console worked fine, ie. faders,transport buttons, arm/solo/mute buttons.
However, the I/O Control button didn’t work and I was unable to set the input levels on the 700R, from the Console. When I pressed SHIFT-I/O Control, I got an error message about midi devices already in use.
I booted up my Win7 OS and compared the enabled midi devices in Sonar with those on my Win81 OS.
I found one device that should NOT be enabled, IO (VS-700). The one that should be enabled is IO MIDI (VS-700).
I unchecked IO (VS-700), restarted Sonar, and it all works like a dream.

So at the end of the day it was worth doing it, I hope to run the system for another five years at least.
Shame on a large Corporation like Roland for not putting the time and resources into developing a simple driver installation package for those customers who spent a lot of money on what is a great product.
Their attitude is appalling  and I would seriously consider not buying a Roland product again.

Current equipment:
VS700 Studio, of course!
PC: Fully loaded. Quad-core with 4 HDDs in 2 X raid0 for performance
Keys: Korg M3 - Korg Z1  - Korg Wavestation - Yamaha Stage Piano
Guitars: US Fender Strat - Gibson Robot - US Fender Telecaster - Gretsch Orange Blossom Special - Taylor steel acoustic - Little Martin acoustic - Takemine P3DC 12-string - Greg Bennett nylon acoustic - old mandolin

2 Replies Related Threads

keneds
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: Upgrading the VS-700C and VS-700R to run on Windows 10 2015/12/06 14:44:40 (permalink)
    Louis, Thanks for your story. I've been contemplating this same move but I've been reluctant to go for it for fears of never being the same again. It all seems complicated.

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Upgrading the VS-700C and VS-700R to run on Windows 10 2015/12/07 01:51:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for threads like these which are really helpful for everyone upgrading to win 10. I see myself coming back to this further down the road.

For the time being I have decided to stay on win7 - having a "legacy" control surface I might as well run it on a (not quite yet) legacy OS. win7 is still supported by MS, Platinum works fine on win7 and I just don't feel like punishing myself with dissembling a working system.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1