Upright bass sample libraries

Author
craigfowler
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 356
2010/06/24 22:28:38 (permalink)

Upright bass sample libraries

I know I missed out on the group by from Orangetree, and I'm still not sure if I'm kicking myself - I liked the Pear Bass sounds, but not that they sounded out of tune with other instruments in Orangetree's demos!

Without getting a huge package like Trillian, are there libraries I should be checking out? I *don't* want an all encompassing bass package, as I'm a bassist myself - I *only* have a need for the upright sounds, so I don't want to go over the top!

TIA

10 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/25 00:09:41 (permalink)
    Check this out.
    http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=969

Maybe not the most extensive library but worth the 25 Euro (plus tax in the EU) asking price. I have this as part of Independence Pro and its pretty good to my ears. The Mexican acoustic bass guitar is handy too. The upright bass is also bundled with a reasonable piano and drums here. http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=994

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/25 00:37:38 (permalink)
    The yellow tools upright basses are  pretty good....free player with a few very nice samples which already include some of the mexican bass set and a reasonable cost for the upright sounds. The yellow tools INDE free runs very solid with my Sonar 5. Exceptional classical guitar sample included as well.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/25 11:51:56 (permalink)
    Chris Hein Bass and Larry Seyer Bass. Larry's in particular has a big round sound, lots of tone.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/25 14:11:34 (permalink)
    I think the Larry Seyer bass is the best upright bass instrument on the planet today! I have the old GS version, and I'm still searching for a player to replace GS, since it is a dead product, and maintaining a second computer just to run a dead product seems, well, counter-productive<G>!

Larry is selling a VI version, and if I hadn't already purchased it once I'd leap at the chance. I just have this thing about purchasing the same thing twice. Not Larry's fault by any stretch, he's got a business to run, and the new VI certainly took some development time, it's just one of my quirks.

In the meantime, the second best upright bass is a toss-up between Dan Dean, OrangeTree, and AcoustiKSamples, at least as far as I've been able to tell. Manybass has one that's pretty darned good as well.

Ultimately I opted for the Dan Dean collection - driven mostly by my bottom-feeder approach to things - it's the No-Brainer deal at AudioMIDI.com at the moment - and from the looks of things it's pretty popular. I have not yet been able to actually download the library - their server must be swamped! Last night their entire site was timing out, today it's a little better, so I'm optimistic.

Definitely worth checking out!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/25 20:33:21 (permalink)
    Bill,

You might want to look into G-Player for your Giga libraries. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of GS3, but it does a good job with regular libraries and doesn't require GSIF or any of that other stuff. It's a regular VSTi.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    wst3
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/26 14:45:36 (permalink)
    bmdaustin
    You might want to look into G-Player for your Giga libraries. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of GS3, but it does a good job with regular libraries and doesn't require GSIF or any of that other stuff. It's a regular VSTi.
    I am currently working with both G-Player and LinuxSampler to see what libraries I might be able to salvage from my GS adventure.  Thus far they seem neck and neck, although the G-Player interface is far simpler to use (no great surprise there - it's a Linux thing<G>!)

There are two issues, the first is playing back old projects that used GS. That's been less than a stellar success, but it's a tedious process to update the project to use the new player. The second is, of course, new projects, and that is working a bit better.

Sadly (stupidly?) I removed many of my GS libraries after I translated them, so now I have to re-load them, and I just haven't felt that energetic yet...

Even so, I am feeling guardedly optimistic at the moment.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/26 20:47:31 (permalink)
    The Manytone upright samples are relatively inexpensive and sound very good. 
    http://manytone.com/products.php

Formats include Kontakt, Wusikstation, soundfont, and Vsampler, one of which at least should do the job for you.

Sonar X3 and 8.5.3 
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Digitech RP360XP/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Studio Cat Pro laptop i7
    16 GB RAM

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/26 23:01:15 (permalink)
    wst3

bmdaustin
    I am currently working with both G-Player and LinuxSampler to see what libraries I might be able to salvage from my GS adventure. 
    Do you have GS3 libs or GS2? If GS2 just grab Kontakt if you don't already have it, or maybe you can get it on NI's 50% off crossgrade/upgrade sale during June (if you have a qualifying player product)... GIG import (I should say "translation") is pretty good to get you started. Speaking of Larry Seyer... I bought the GIG version myself a few years back, imported into Kontakt 1.5 and made my own performance patches.

Other than that, you could try SampleLord, which is supposed to read and play GIG files in-place (i.e., no conversion)... http://www.samplelord.com/index.php?page=samplelord
    wst3
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/29 13:25:07 (permalink)
    I tried Samplelord, and at least when I tried it (a while ago now) it did not do a very good job on the three key libraries I'd like to keep. I am still trying G-Player and LinuxSampler.

Kontakt (and Translator) do a fine job on simple GS2 libraries. Neither does a good job with GS3 or the more complex GS2 libraries.

Oh well... this is what happens some times... even if we wish it didn't!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Legion
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Upright bass sample libraries 2010/06/29 14:35:14 (permalink)
    I think both Kontakt 4 and Majestic have really great upright basses. If you can get a hold of the old Plugsound Free VST (discontiued a long time ago) it has a pretty nice sounding one as well.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1