Used Drum machine as an Input device

Author
audell
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
2007/05/14 13:27:50 (permalink)

Used Drum machine as an Input device

Hi Guys....

Since moving from the SP-1200 and MPC into the software environment, I've been frustrasted by the lack of Roll/Repeat function built into anyones interface.

Sure the Midi Control surfaces that are 'MPC' like with the pads are great, but without a internal clock I guess there is no real way to add a roll/repeat function to them.

I guess software manufacturers must feel that since this is a dedicated function of a hardware control surface, like a pitch bend control, they don't really need to add the function in software. And for those ppl just coming online making electronic music, it seems like most of these people are content to make music with a mouse. I love editing with a mouse, but still like banging away on pads and keys for input.

Input quantize is so great I'm very happy.

So now I think the missing part of the equation is to have a old drum machine hooked up via midi that I can use it['s pads and Roll/Repeat key to input note data into P5.

I'm looking for suggestions. The Korg Pad looked promising, but I prefer to be able to set my rolls to fixed intervals..and that seemed to rely on an approach which gave rolls a disticitively human feel. That's fine, just not my cup of tea.

I guess what I'm loking for is:
Sends Midi Notes

Can sync to External Midi Clock - my attempts at trying this in the past has been a little sketchy. the roll function always seemed to be a little less accurate when working off an external clock...But I don't know if I can get P5 to work of External Midi Clock if I use drum machine as as time source...anyone?

Has decent sized pads

has roll/repeat function with fixed intervals.

I think some of the Boss Drummers can do this.

The little AKAI MPC is cool, but it's too much money. I don't care about the sampling or the drums sounds All that happens in the computer for me.

Would prefer a fairly compact form factor.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

14 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/14 13:45:07 (permalink)
    have a old drum machine hooked up via midi that I can use it['s pads and Roll/Repeat key to input note data into P5
    Don't bother to pursue the Yamaha RX series. Neither pads or the internal patterns/songs transmit MIDI notes. I've had better luck with a Roland MC-50 sequencer daisy-chained into the MIDI In of one of my drum pad controllers. It's not the smallest of form factors, but it's as versatile as you can get, and it can respond to a footswitch-sent Start/Stop/Continue.

Hardware synths used to have minimal on-board sequencers. Good luck finding one at a reasonable price, but I thought that I'd mention it, just in case ... Something like the Bitstream 3X would probably be overkill for this purpose, and less than cost-effective.

At least now P5 2.5 can send MIDI Sync and track output over the same port. I have one more thought on this: With a "spare" MIDI Port and one MIDI cable, you could do this with P5's arpeggiator. If you don't need the repeat/roll notes recorded, you can just try this inline without the MIDI loopback hookup The arp to Rhythms Only, One Octave, the appropriate Rate, and On/Off under MIDI Remote Control. This is not a fully tested concept ... just yet.
    audell
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/14 15:34:33 (permalink)
    Hey B...

When I first looked at P5, one of my main concerns was about teh Arp (both as a MFX and the inline engine built in).

The problems with this is is that it's hard to to do fills that build.

I've found that if I sue several tracks each one set to a diff Arp rate: 16ths, 32nds, 64ths, etc I can get the sound that I want... for long rolls

But for every day stabby percussion on time percussion sections which seemed to be the main stay of building electronic music...it doesn't rweally work unless you start building your percussion accross several tracks...and it's less inspired that way....having to stop and switch tracks to build it that way.

I love so much of what software brings to the table....but this...the real time creative pattern building...hands on.

Have you ever used an SP or MPC? If so...you'll know what I'm talking about.

I had a great workflow in an ancient sequencer called Bars & Pipes (I've ranted on here about it), but it's not made any more and doesn't run on modern OS's...ever since then I've not found anything that quite captures the magic of that.

I like P5 a lot especially with Input Quantize....

just lookin gofr that last lil bit.

Alex
    b rock
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/14 16:18:45 (permalink)
    I've found that if I sue several tracks each one set to a diff Arp rate: 16ths, 32nds, 64ths, etc I can get the sound that I want... for long rolls
    Understood. I set it up as described, and I had to use two tracks; one with a narrow note filter setting. Other than that, I could MIDI Remote Control the Arp On/Off with a Note On, but that value is lost then. That particular suggestion fell under the "Any suggestions are greatly appreciated" and "too much money" criteria.
    Have you ever used an SP or MPC?
    I sure have. Different strokes ... I hated it. Still, what you're after in the original post are simple but configurable note repetitions. There's got to be an easy way ...
    wetdentist
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1129
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/14 20:19:59 (permalink)
    i have a korg DDD-1 drum machine that i've done some experimenting with via midi cables, my tascam us-122 external soundcard, and P5. since i know so little about how midi really works, i didn't have the amount of control i would like with regards to what sound each drum pad became once the signal entered P5, but i think the flam and the roll buttons work

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
    go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
    my new sounds: The Das Kaput

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/15 02:49:41 (permalink)
    I've got an old MPC2000. Works great as drum input. 16 levels or full level option is great. Use just as you would any other MIDI keyboard. You could probably pick one up for a couple of hundred bucks. Mine has the now well-known display problem. But who cares? I'm not sequencing on it - just using it as a pad controller. Looking forward to trying it with P5s new input quantize feature.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    b rock
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/15 07:50:54 (permalink)
    Wow. I was making that more difficult than it had to be (MFX Echo Delay, multiple tracks, ...)
    Most pad controllers send a pressure-sensitive message (per-pad). So do aftertouch keyboards. All types send at least velocity.

Right-click on the Arpeggiator On/Off -> MIDI Remote Control.
    'Learn' the correct MIDI message, or set it up manually (velocity, aftertouch, mod wheel, ...)

Adjust the arp to taste. One Octave prevents transposition.
    Rhythms Only rolls all notes together; another Shape repeats them sequentially.

A pad hit plays single notes. Added pressure rolls/repeats them.
    Done.
    LabDog
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 913
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/15 18:32:47 (permalink)
    While that does get you "Repeats", in a decent workaround sort of way, they still aren't the true note repeats which would allow you to later go in and edit the individual repeats.

I've used the arp method quite a few times before, but it still doesn't leave me feeling the way an MPC does when using its note repeat function. Perhaps because there's so much more involved in just setting the arps up to emulate the results. The end results, sound wise - the way they texture into a piece, are quite pleasing, but the whole process still does create the vibe you get from doing it on an MPC.

-LD

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/15 19:07:28 (permalink)
    Don't know if you meant this but the Korg PadKontrol has hold, roll and flam control.
    post edited by naughtyhill - 2007/05/15 19:13:34
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/16 06:45:47 (permalink)
    tha roland fantom has these features as well
    audell
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/16 13:13:46 (permalink)
    Hi Naughtty...

We talked about this b4.

The X/Y pad on the Korg throws me a lil. How easy is it to get exact 16th's 32nd's etc?

Most older drummers have fixed step (robotic) you can hard switch between....

The video looks cool though...

Alex
    audell
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/16 13:18:53 (permalink)
    This is interesting B.

I'll give it a go.

Still doesn't quite deal with the issues of variations of repeat on a single track.
    or note editabiliity though....

very interesting though....

thank you for continuing to take time to look at it.

Alex

Can you do:

Clone instrument

with a note splits

you could do note ranges to different tracks...

I think I tried this...but the problem was that the splt was processed post Arp so it didn't work out right.

b rock
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/16 14:42:26 (permalink)
    Still doesn't quite deal with the issues of variations of repeat on a single track. or note editabiliity though....
    Rate can be MIDI-learned. With the right controller (or CC Map MFX), you can set limits on the travel. 1/8 to 16th note triplets, for example. The recordable, editable arpeggiator? I've written about that a number of times. Here's the most recent.

Honestly, no one's interested. The perception is that one MIDI cable, plugged from Out to In, is too much of a "hassle" to go through. The fact is, you set it up once, and you can record the arp as quickly as loading a softsynth. I've got one Port permanently dedicated to it, and from that I can overlay up to 16 arpeggiators recorded to a single synth track.

Workarounds are just that. More time; zero money. MPCs are great if that's what you're after. Much more money; EZ setup. The roll controllers or a synth with an onboard sequencer/arps fall somewhere in the middle. Significant investment; significant setup required. People with the most time can wait for a feature that may or may not materialize. Myself, I'm not that patient.

Edit: I just saw the "splits" question. Check out the arp's Process channel. It defaults to Channel 1. You can process other channels (mapped to the Send To: setting), or multiple channels at once. That'll help on the note range splits. Don't consult the Help file in this area. It's factually incorrect.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/05/16 14:52:47
    audell
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/16 15:36:09 (permalink)
    "Rate can be MIDI-learned. With the right controller (or CC Map MFX), you can set limits on the travel. 1/8 to 16th note triplets, for example. The recordable, editable arpeggiator? I've written about that a number of times. Here's the most recent. "

You are saying that a single track can contain mulitple Arp rezolutions.

If I can midi learn the function to switch between rates (or travel as you call it)?

That's interesting....

hmmm

Did not even grasp that as a possibility.

"Honestly, no one's interested. The perception is that one MIDI cable, plugged from Out to In, is too much of a "hassle" to go through. The fact is, you set it up once, and you can record the arp as quickly as loading a softsynth. I've got one Port permanently dedicated to it, and from that I can overlay up to 16 arpeggiators recorded to a single synth track. "

No one who? Users?
    In this soft Synth world is MIDI that passe or is that newer users just don't know about it.

While far from an expert....I can remember how daunting was to learn about how to wire a set up with the one way Midi In/Out/Thru to make everything talk.

Once it clicked I got it and never looked back!

Heck I remember dumping samples over Midi SDS. That was fun (not)....

ahhh I digress....

Alex

naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Used Drum machine as an Input device 2007/05/16 18:54:27 (permalink)
    Hi audell !

How easy is it to get exact 16th's 32nd's etc?

Well its quite easy. The roll amount assignment actually works with bpm (40 bpm being the lowest).
    So if you wanted to have a 16th note roll in a - lets say - 120 bpm song/beat you can set it half speed i.e. 60 bpm and you'll have a 16th note roll.
    Set it to 120 bpm and you'll end up with 32nd note roll. The great thing about it is that you can set a lower and an upper value for the x.
    That means you can slide from 16th notes to 32nd notes in one sweep. It gives a nice acceleration when sweeping.
    On the Y you can set the lower and upper value to any velocity you want.

The PadKontrol will actually send all these notes out to your midi track (thus being able to record every single note). And with the new input quantise that came with P5 2.5, set to hard quantise 32nd notes you can hit and never miss.

Hope that explained it a little.

Greets from Holland....

NTH.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1