Using Addictive Drums

Author
wizzwizz1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2008/04/18 23:13:29 (permalink)

Using Addictive Drums

Hey all. I've been trying to get Addictive drums set up so I can record some tracks, or just play as if the program is my sound module except I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this stuff. I've got got my roland TD-3 sound module connected via midi in and out and can record midi fine like that, but when I try and use addictive drums I'm lost as to what I need to do. Basically, I'm trying to get the midi information to go thru addictive drums, and then go back into the sound module into my headphones so I can pretty much bypass the module's sounds, and use the much nicer sounds of addictive drums. I vaguely know how to use drum mapping if that helps, but any guidance (ie. a complete tutorial) would be greatly appreciated!

8 Replies Related Threads

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: Using Addictive Drums 2008/04/18 23:37:21 (permalink)
    The easiest would be to use Sonar's Drum map. First you need to print out Addictives Key Map. On the upper right hand of AD press the "?" and select Show Keymap. Then on TD-3 you have figure out what midi notes it triggers. When you develop a drum map in Sonar you'll match one to the other, drum by drum.

I don't know the TD-3. It may be mapped for GM.

In Sonar choose Options - Drum Map Manager. If TD-3 is GM mapped then from the preset drop down select a GM drum for starters. Then you'll have to start mapping TD-3's key's to the appropriate AD drums. This is a little tedious, but you can do it. You will probably need to view Sonar's help file on drum maps while you do it. Don't forget to save you're drum map. You can also search for an existing GM to AD drum map as a short cut. I did mine manually.
    wizzwizz1
    RE: Using Addictive Drums 2008/04/18 23:53:10 (permalink)
    So Am i supposed to make a single drum map? And do you mean that if for addictive drums, the snare is triggered by 44 and my td3's snare is 38, I make a drum map that says when the in note from my td3 is 38, to make the out note 44? And if so, where do I go from there? I can't get any sound out of the AD application no matter which combination of inputs and outputs I use.
    guitartrek
    RE: Using Addictive Drums 2008/04/19 00:10:37 (permalink)
    You're headed in the right direction.

Assuming you've got the Snare mapped in your new drum map - make sure that in the drum map, the Out Port of the Snare note is pointing to AddictiveDrums.

If you haven't done it already, insert the synth (AD) and let Sonar create a Midi track and the Audio track.

Select the midi track. In the Output of the Midi track - it should point to your new drum map. If it isn't pull the drop down and you should see the drum map name (if you saved it with a name) on the drop down list. Click on that name. Now your Midi track is pointing to the Drum Map, and the Snare in the Drum Map is pointing to Addictive. You should hear something or see the Snare activated in AD. If you can get to this stage, you just continue building the Map.

To check if AD is running OK, just click on one of the drums in AD. It should make a sound or you should see the meter jump in it's mixer.
    post edited by guitartrek - 2008/04/19 00:31:12
    wizzwizz1
    RE: Using Addictive Drums 2008/04/19 00:30:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help so far guitartrek. I think I've almost got it working seeing as how I've done all that you said, and the problem seems to be that when I try to make sure AD is running ok and click on any on the drums nothing happens. Ill explain thoroughly how I have it set up in case I may be missing something. So I've got my drum map titled TD3 with the snare mapped correctly (works out to be 38->38). I set the outport to addictive drums, and the channel is set to 1 (not sure if this matters, but the TD3 module is on channel 10). So the snare is mapped. I insert the addictive drums softsynth and get a midi and audio track. I leave audio alone (input:addictive drums stereo, output: master). For the midi track my input is my midi cable (edirol something) and my out is the drum map. I have the midi in connected back up to the sound module if that matters. Where should I be hearing the sound when I click? From my computer or coming back out of my module? Also, is there anything else I need to do? I'm beginning to think it is a soundcard problem or something to due with the fact that I'm using v7 and not v6. Thanks for any help!

*edit: I think it is a soundcard problem. I just recorded my voice in audacity using a simple mic and imported into sonar to see if it could play it through the master out which it could not. Now what am I supposed to do!?!?
    post edited by wizzwizz1 - 2008/04/19 01:11:24
    guitartrek
    RE: Using Addictive Drums 2008/04/19 00:57:01 (permalink)
    Sounds like you've got everything set up correctly.

When you click on a drum on the AD screen, you should see the appropriate meter in AD pop up with a signal. You should hear the sound from the computer. Not sure what audio card you are using, but if your computer is connected to speakers, you should hear it there. Have you gotten other projects to make sounds out of your computer yet? If not you've got to make sure you're audio is set up properly.

Now - your midi input. Sounds like it is set up right, but you've got to test this. If Midi is active, you should see a little midi keyboard icon on the bottom right of Windows. When you trigger a note on your module, that little keyboard should light up telling you that there is midi activity. Also, I would set your midi input on your midi track to omni so the channel doesn't matter just to keep things simple for now. If you don't hear anything, just hit record anyway and hit a couple of notes. Open up the PRV and see if it captured some midi events. If not then you know that you've got to check upstream. If you do, then something downstream is the problem. Midi output to AD and so forth.

wizzwizz1
    RE: Using Addictive Drums 2008/04/19 11:20:00 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure it must be my sound card. I can record and playback midi as long as it comes back through the sound module but I haven't gotten any audio to work. My sound card is sigmatel audio and I updated my drivers but to no avail. I'm using a laptop so I can't upgrade sound card. Is there nothing else I can do?
    guitartrek
    RE: Using Addictive Drums 2008/04/19 11:42:17 (permalink)
    You should be able to get the sigmatel to work. Mine works fine - but it did take some tweaking. If all you are hearing is your Roland, I suspect the midi you are recording is triggering the Roland and you are not hearing AD. This is a midi routing issue Turn off the volume on your Roland.

Let's concentrate on getting your audio working in Sonar. Forget the Roland and AD for now. You should load up one of the Sonar pre-recorded demos and see if you can get Sonar to produce sounds.

If you go into Options - Audio - are you using WDM or ASIO? If WDM did you run the wave profiler?
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    RE: Using Addictive Drums 2008/04/19 14:00:01 (permalink)
    There are threads about this on the XLNaudio forums. Drum maps as well.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1