Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7

Author
ARO
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/01/05 21:18:29 (permalink)

Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7

Hello there...
Recently I picked up an Alesis Multimix 16 (firewire) and have been using it semi-successfully with Sonar Home Studio 7.....
So far with general playback, or loop preview, anything to do with existing audio, has been pretty fine...The problem I've been having is when I go to record something, it sounds fine during recording, then when I play it back, it's, I guess you'd call it "glitchy" there's a horrible popping and crackling sound with playback, but only on anything I've recorded through the MultiMix...and to make it more frustrating, it does this sometimes, and then other times it doesn't...I've noticed that the songs with more tracks in the song, as opposed to opening a new project and recording first track, usually are the ones that do this....so for now what I do is mix the whole thing to a .wav and import it into a fresh project as one track, then start recording again...it's really quite irritating....and not very quality efficient because then I can't go back and mix individual tracks previously recorded....yuck....

I called Cakewalk, and they told me to change my buffer settings and a couple of things, which fixed it, for that song...then on others, back to the horrible click pop....has anyone ever experienced something similar, or have any other clues, suggestions?

Thanks very much....

7 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7 2011/01/05 21:24:29 (permalink)
    it's possible that you are having a firewire conflict problem.  check to see which firewire chipset you have.  if you don't know how to do that, go to My Computer, right click on it, select PROPERTIES then HARDWARE then DEVICE MANAGER 
    then scroll down until you find something that says IEEE 13694 Bus Host Controllers or something very similar.  click on the "+" beside that entry.  Now look at the device under that heading.  does it have Texas Instruments in the name?  or VIA or what?  if it doesn't have Texas Instruments or "TI" in the name then you don't have a TI chipset for your firewire and that might be causing your problem.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    DaGunz
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7 2011/01/05 22:38:15 (permalink)
    Hi Aro, I have an Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0.  It might be your sampling frequency and sampling rate settings in Sonar.  Go to Options\Audio and set the sampling freqeuncy to 96khz and raise the sample rate until you no longer have an issue.  However, the higher the sample rate the more latency causing a delay if using a softsynth or effect plug-in in real time.  Other than that, it could depend on the computer processor speed, memory, and HDD speed.
    post edited by DaGunz - 2011/01/05 23:30:36
    ARO
    Re:Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7 2011/01/05 23:17:55 (permalink)
    Thank you guys for your input! Apparently I have a VIA OHCI compliant 1394 controller, it was a firewire card I installed...

I have a 3.0 ghz processor, 4 gb ram, and I don't know what HDD speed is, but I figure it should be fast enough to handle it, I don't have a ton of things running on it either, it's primarily for music...the sound card shouldn't matter, because I'm not using it at all......I've tried messing with a couple different driver modes too...the freq was at 48, I'll try that....
    DaGunz
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7 2011/01/05 23:29:19 (permalink)
    Computer specs good.  Try 96khz at 1024 or more samples, or 48khz at 1024 or more samples, set on Driver Mode ASIO or WDM.
    post edited by DaGunz - 2011/01/05 23:52:34
    ARO
    Re:Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7 2011/01/28 15:51:16 (permalink)
    Well, I've tried everything in audio settings on Sonar....no luck...Beagle, if I have VIA firewire, you're saying it's not compatible with the Alesis? because I have used a Tascam fw1082 with the same firewire card/controller, with Sonar, and did not have any of these kinds of issues...If I need a TI chipset, does that mean I need to get a whole new firewire card??

My frustration has caused me to be pretty much unmotivated to record any instruments.....
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7 2011/01/28 16:23:29 (permalink)
    normally anything EXCEPT TI chipset firewire will cause problems in cakewalk for firewire based soundcards.  not always, but a good portion of the time.

I cannot guarantee that if you go purchase a new firewire card for your computer with TI chipset that it will solve the problem.  but I'm not saying it won't resolve the problem either - it is possible.

unfortunately Alesis has been known to write crappy drivers.  and that may be the case

when you say you contacted cake and they had you change the buffers - did that not help?

what driver mode are you using?  WDM or ASIO?  what are your buffers set to?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Using Alesis MultiMix16 with Sonar Home Studio 7 2011/01/28 18:34:18 (permalink)
    I used to have an Alesis FW 12. IIRC the max sample rate is 48khz.

Beagle is correct about their drivers, they were in my experience all rubbish up until the Win 7 x64 driver which worked best of the lot for me.

I used mine quite successfully with Sonar using ASIO4ALL. That cured all my woes. YMMV but I'd give it a go if I were you..........
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1