Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs

Author
comradec
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2008/04/13 20:22:28 (permalink)

Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs

Is it possible to install the various instruments included in Sonar 7 Studio Edition in their own right , i.e. without the rest of the Sonar DAW?

I have 7SE but have found myself mainly using Cubase Studio 4. I wondered, therefore, which of Sonar's bundled soft instruments would work as VSTs within Cubase. I refer to the following:

* Dimension LE (with Garritan Pocket Orchestra)
* Rapture LE—modern synthesized sounds
* DropZone—drag & drop sampler and REX loop Editor
* Session Drummer 2—virtual drum instrument
* Roland TTS-1—GM2 Roland® synthesizer
* Roland GrooveSynth—Genuine groove box and synthesizer sounds
* SFZ—SoundFont sampler
* Cyclone—Groove sampler

If the above can be installed without the rest of Sonar, how could that be done?

Sonar 7.0.2 SE, Sound Forge 9; XP & Vista; Intel Core2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz, 2Gb RAM; Phonic Helix Board 12 FireWire MkII; Frontier AlphaTrack; Edirol PCR-500; Boss VF-1; Lexicon MX200; Samson C-valve, C-com16, C-control, Resolv 50a; Alesis Fusion 6HD

15 Replies Related Threads

altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/13 20:59:17 (permalink)
    During the install you should be able to customize what will be installed by checking/unchecking various items. However, I believe several of the items you listed are tied specifically to Sonar and will not be usable in another host.
    pjl
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 796
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/13 21:41:58 (permalink)
    I'm also not sure if they are all VSTi or if some are DXi. If they are DXi then I think you would need some kind of shell to run them in Cubase since Steinberg dropped support for DX.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
    comradec
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/14 03:11:01 (permalink)
    Rapture LE and Dimension LE definitely have VSTi support. Not sure about the others though.

Sonar 7.0.2 SE, Sound Forge 9; XP & Vista; Intel Core2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz, 2Gb RAM; Phonic Helix Board 12 FireWire MkII; Frontier AlphaTrack; Edirol PCR-500; Boss VF-1; Lexicon MX200; Samson C-valve, C-com16, C-control, Resolv 50a; Alesis Fusion 6HD
    comradec
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/14 14:42:19 (permalink)
    Is Dimension LE a sample-based instrument or a synth? I'm not quite clear on that point, reading the Cakewalk website's description.

I ask because I'm wondering whether to install its content files on my sample partition.

altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/14 18:31:10 (permalink)
    Dimension is more sample-based than synth.
    cityrat
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/16 08:18:47 (permalink)
    I have been abandoning Sonar for Cubase Studio as well... Dont have Sonar 7, but from my Sonar 6 PE:

Dimension LE, PSYN, SFZ, and Session Drummer 2 all work well in Cubase as VSTi. I also have the full Dimension Pro, Rapture and they work fine as VSTi in Cubase.

Cyclone, Velocity, the Roland stuff.... are all DXi and will NOT work.

cityrat
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/18 16:18:31 (permalink)
    comradec - if you have Session Drummer 2 try that in Cubase Studio. It works fine, but NOT if I drag a midi pattern from SD2 to Cubase. Upon re-opening of the file crash city.

But if you avoid that its fine

I miss VELOCITY though....
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/18 20:18:15 (permalink)
    Thats funny, I went the other way from Cubase to Sonar (though not from 4). I much prefer Sonar and the instruments are better IMO.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Objectman
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/29 00:34:45 (permalink)
    I just couldn't fathom all the routing and re-routing complexity in Sonar, so I bought it because of all the included VSTs and mastering tools - which I use in Live. Is that shameful? Without any music background whatsoever, I found the Sonar manual very skimpy.

Am I missing out on some fun because of my naivety?

Edwin can be heard at:
    www.deadeddy.com

using live, cakewalk vsts, rature pro with moog exp, dell inspiron 640m, edirol pcr 800, jamstix 2, mobilepre usb, eirol ma-15d and a nice pair of akg 171s.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/29 11:07:47 (permalink)
    ojectman,

you are missing out on some of the fun - it is a very nice program. But whatever floats your boat. I tried most of the major DAWs years ago and found Cakewalk the easiest to grok. But Vegas (Sony's audio/video editor) is still the easiest program for me to use - part of that it is the first one I learned and therefore seems "natural". Even when it is not. Such as adding effects - you first have to open up the fx chain page, then click another button to add the effect to the chainer. Kinda roundabout but I never questioned it until it was pointed out to me - every other daw/editor you just open and add the effect and save the chain/preset.

If you are happy and fast with your workflow, I wouldn't worry about it. But since you have SONAR, I would try using it for a few things and see what you like about it. I would imagine recording long takes and mixing would be better than live, tho I don't know since I don't use live. But you might find a few things better/easier in SONAR as a tool.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Objectman
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/29 21:06:39 (permalink)
    You're dead right. It's what you know that makes something seem easy / hard. Like the boring Mac Vs. PC debate. I guess I just started out in Live 'cause it was a free download.

Live is good for getting something happening very quickly - a riff or a quick tune - and looping it. It's got some excellent automation features. BUT ... if I could actually play an instrument, it would probably be best recorded in Sonar. I'd love to give it a good try. I'm a filmmaker and I'm in this because I'm actually getting paid to do music on a whole bunch of Docos. Weird for aomeone with NO music background whatsoever. So I have to learn quick!

Are there any well-written manuals on Sonar? Something for absolute beginners. I've recently bought the Idiot (the brand) books Music Theory and Music Composition which are a bit fun.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Is there a definitive Sonar guide? With step-by-step instructions and little screen grabs? I'm a BIG reader these days and find this stuff ABSLUTELY fascinating.

And time consuming.

Edwin can be heard at:
    www.deadeddy.com

using live, cakewalk vsts, rature pro with moog exp, dell inspiron 640m, edirol pcr 800, jamstix 2, mobilepre usb, eirol ma-15d and a nice pair of akg 171s.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/29 23:23:45 (permalink)
    Look for Scott Garigus's (sp?) book under Sonar resources. Lot's of people swear by it. There are also video tutorials which are pretty good for an intro.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    InstrEd
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/30 11:48:06 (permalink)
    You could look on Sony's site for audio loops. They have a whole collection in plenty of styles that you could use. I forgot the price, but it could be a great start for you.
    Also, Band in a Box, might help you get started. http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm

Good luck with the music and the film.
    Tell to tell us about the film?

Ed
    comradec
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/04/30 12:07:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cityrat

I have been abandoning Sonar for Cubase Studio as well... Dont have Sonar 7, but from my Sonar 6 PE:

Dimension LE, PSYN, SFZ, and Session Drummer 2 all work well in Cubase as VSTi. I also have the full Dimension Pro, Rapture and they work fine as VSTi in Cubase.

I managed to install the Cakewalk VST instruments without the main Sonar DAW, but I'm having a problem with Dimension LE.

Whenever I record a MIDI part on a track assigned to Dimension, I just get a cacophony of notes merging into each other on playback. Checking the MIDI data, I can see that the notes I intended are all there okay, but that's not what comes out when I playback. It sounds as if all the notes are sustaining themselves forever and clashing with each other until it runs out of polyphony.

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Using Cakewalk instruments in other DAWs 2008/05/09 19:41:55 (permalink)
    comradec, there is an update patch for the full versions to work in DAW's beside sonar..

but remember thats the FULL version of DP

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb20070829.asp

LE is really part of sonar.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1