Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6

Author
lanstrad
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 313
2008/06/05 00:40:13 (permalink)

Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6

I just installed DIMENSION PRO and wish to use it in SONAR 6 P.

Just can't find *yet) the page (or term) that allows me to do this :

- Can I use a MIDI track and simply map it to a sound (patch) in DIMENSION ? (I assume it is feasible, but can someone give me a straight approach on how to do this, please ?

Rob

8 Replies Related Threads

pjl
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 796
    RE: Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6 2008/06/05 09:04:26 (permalink)
    DimPro should appear in your SONAR synth list automaitically so just open the Synth Rack in SONAR, add a Synth (Dim Pro) and set the options in the dialogue box to have SONAR automatically create the MIDI and SYnth tracks required.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
    lanstrad
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6 2008/06/06 23:38:14 (permalink)

Yeah, it works.

However, what remains unclear is : how many tracks (different instruments) can you do in Sonar in a single project ?

I noticed you see Dim Pro 1, 2, 3.... Then on a single track it seems like you can't make a ''program change'' as you could do in MIDI usually... it will change the entire track's instrument. Or maybe I misse dsomething ?

Cheers,
    Rob
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6 2008/06/07 00:09:21 (permalink)
    Rob,

you can do as many instruments as your computer can handle. There is also a "freeze" function that easily turns your soft-synth into audio, which releases much of the processing power of your computer (it is easier for the computer to stream audio than calculate a synth). Ideally, you should have a second hard drive for audio/video playback.

Dimension can play 4 different voices (elements) on different midi channels (or all 4 from 1 midi channel). It is not really suited for a "band in a box" gm synth; it is better for using all 4 elements to produce a longer, evolving or layered sound. You can keep adding instances of Dimension synths as you need - just be sure to put them on different midi channels so they don't play all at once.

I don't think you can do program changes in Dimension (or Rapture or Z3ta, for that matter) - so you are stuck with the program you initially bring up. I don't even think the programs come up within SONAR's midi channel bank/program slots. There are about 1000 different programs, anyway, and it is easier to choose them from Dimension's browser function. That's how I do it, anyway.

Hope this helps and keep asking questions, lots of helpful people here, including René, who did the synths.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    beethoven17
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6 2008/06/07 09:57:29 (permalink)

You can keep adding instances of Dimension synths as you need - just be sure to put them on different midi channels so they don't play all at once.

Yes, with softsynths you have to get used to working a different way. Instead of one module with patch changes, you use multiple instances of Dim Pro.

No need to worry about MIDI channels, though. Each MIDI control track will point to a different instance of Dimension Pro, so they won't interfere with each other.

andrew
    Sonar 8.5 PE,  Saffire LE, Garritan Steinway & Orchestra, EZDummer, Rapture, Truepiano, no voice, little talent
    LFS
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6 2009/03/15 14:04:29 (permalink)
    I just upgraded from Sonar 5 Studio to Sonar 8 Producer which included Dimension Pro. If I understand what people on the forum are saying, you can't create a bank and assign 128 patches to it using the programs in Dimension Pro. Softsynths like TTS-1 come with banks and patches. So what not be able to create them using Dimension Pro?
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6 2009/03/15 21:23:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LFS

I just upgraded from Sonar 5 Studio to Sonar 8 Producer which included Dimension Pro. If I understand what people on the forum are saying, you can't create a bank and assign 128 patches to it using the programs in Dimension Pro. Softsynths like TTS-1 come with banks and patches. So what not be able to create them using Dimension Pro?

It is typical for samplers, romplers, and sample-based synths to NOT use the bank change/program change implementation.

One reason for this is that each patch may be rather large, so bundling them together makes for large, hard-to-update files. You may also have more than 128 patches of a given type, which means there's more than one bank can hold, you'd have to spread it across multiple banks.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    LFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6 2009/03/16 11:58:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for your response. As I understand it I will then open a midi track and Dimension Pro track/instance for each instrument I use. I tried this yesterday and it worked fine.

texasfrank
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Using Dimension PRO under Sonar 6 2009/03/17 03:31:57 (permalink)
    I too was confused about this a couple years ago when I first got DimPro. The previous posts did a good job of clarifying it.

Here's what works for me. If I'm starting with an existing midi file I open it and simultaneously assign all the tracks to TTS softsynth. That is a convenient way to get started and the sound is decent. Then I can go back and insert instances of Dim Pro to certain channels to tap into the fantastic DimPro sounds.

When I just want to play live for myself or friends, I have set up different Sonar files for different songs. Each file has the two presets that I use (for two midi keyboards) and any midi or acid loops and tempo settings. Another thing I find useful is to save my favorite presets in DimPro. I have about 50 custom presets saved and that saves hunting around. I have also found that it is far easier to use two keyboards and assign a different instance of DimPro to each than to work with keyboard splits using Drum Map in Sonar or the High/Low key feature in DimPro. Hope that helps.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1