Using Music Creator 7 for live performance

Author
Paul Andres
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/11/10 10:05:24 (permalink)

Using Music Creator 7 for live performance

I have been trying to use Sonar for live soft synth performance and have a lot of latency issues (and yes, I have done everything I know to do to optimize my system and sonar to deal with latency).  I am wondering...
1.  Can MC7 be used in live performance?
2.  Is MC7 less of a resource hog, solving much of the latency problem?

Thanks in advance,

paul
post edited by Paul Andres - 2015/11/10 10:16:28

8 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Using Music Creator 7 for live performance 2015/11/10 10:10:05 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    The software has very little to do with latency; it's the sound card/audio interface and it's drivers.
    What interface are you using and what driver with it? 

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Using Music Creator 7 for live performance 2015/11/10 10:22:38 (permalink)
    Some plug-ins can also contribute to latency problems.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Using Music Creator 7 for live performance 2015/11/13 07:57:25 (permalink)
    Knowing the sound card/interface and drivers being used would help.  99% of latency issues are caused by not having a proper card/driver combo.

As far as using MC in a live situation, again... it helps to know HOW you want to use it. Are you planning to use it as a backup band playing the tracks while you play acoustic guitar or piano, and sing? Or are you a keyboard player who wants to use the synths in it live on stage with a band of live musicians?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Using Music Creator 7 for live performance 2015/11/14 16:41:56 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    Knowing the sound card/interface and drivers being used would help.  99% of latency issues are caused by not having a proper card/driver combo.

Probably closer to 50% for the interface and the other 50% by selecting a plugin that looks ahead.  If you are using a good interface with ASIO drivers it should work live.  Try using the 'E' key to temporarily disable plugins to see if your issues are there.  If so, try turning them back on one at a time to find the culprits.

Glen

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    Paul Andres
    Re: Using Music Creator 7 for live performance 2015/11/16 14:03:19 (permalink)
    I sincerely appreciate the suggestions for dealing with latency, but what I really want to know is can MC7 be used to play synths live on stage with other musicians, not as a backing track.

Thanks again,

paul
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Using Music Creator 7 for live performance 2015/11/16 14:32:53 (permalink)
    Yes, but it will perform no better than SONAR. If the problem is latency, the DAW makes little difference.
    Paul Andres
    Re: Using Music Creator 7 for live performance 2015/11/20 16:54:09 (permalink)
    Thank you, Scook.  That's what I wanted to know.

Best,

paul
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Using Music Creator 7 for live performance 2015/11/21 13:45:00 (permalink)
    Paul Andres
    I sincerely appreciate the suggestions for dealing with latency, but what I really want to know is can MC7 be used to play synths live on stage with other musicians, not as a backing track.

Thanks again,

paul

Yes it can be used live. However, what I said earlier.... You should have a decent interface which is essentially an external sound card running ASIO and pretty much a dedicated machine..... You don't want to have a bunch of plugins and heavy CPU power sucking things running.  You want to run it lean and mean.  You simply send the audio out of the interface to the sound system or stage amps. Just like you monitor in the studio when you're recording and monitoring it live and send to the headphones and studio reference monitors.

The main reason for running lean and mean is having a crash in the studio is a pain. Having a computer crash in the middle of a song is a freaking nightmare.  Nothing would ruin your night and the show like a midi synth that blue screens the computer and at the same time locks up in an audio loop of the last note you played for about 10 seconds.

Run a simple one or two track project and only one synth loaded and running at a time.  You can disable other synths in other tracks and have them in a standby mode..... but don't let them suck the CPU power.  Hopefully there's sufficient time between songs to make the needed changes in samples.  My studio DAW loads samples quickly so that shouldn't be a big problem.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2015/11/21 13:57:52

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1