Using P5 instruments directly in Sonar

Author
zblip
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 354
2005/08/28 07:41:50 (permalink)

Using P5 instruments directly in Sonar

Hi

I own Sonar 3 Producer and sometimes I use P5 instruments by themselves without rewireing P5. A good example is the DS864. It is a multitimbral Sampler, yet in P5 it is confined in a "One instrument - one track" archetecture. In Sonar I can take full advantage of its multi feature and play up to 8 parts out of one instance of DS864. The only problem is that automating the DS864 knobs is not possible outside of P5 cause there isn't any midi implemantation chart. I wish Cakewalk would make available to users all the midi controle numbers for P5 instruments to help us use them outside the P5 platform. Does anyone know of thoes and if they exist somewhere?

Turn down the volume! You're disturbing the neighbourgs!

3 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Using P5 instruments directly in Sonar 2005/08/28 08:06:28 (permalink)
    Hi Luc,

You can automate Project5 synths in SONAR by adding them as an effect to an audio track's effects bin instead of as a DXi instrument in its own DXi track. Not sure why this is the case but once you do it this way you'll find all of the automatable parameters exposed in an interface in SONAR. The SONAR Wiki has a step-by-step instruction on the technique: http://sonar.sonarama.com/sonar/index.php/Using_Project5_Synths_in_SONAR .

Also, using Project5 version 2 you can use track layers within a master track to hold separate MIDI patterns that use different channels. This makes it possible to use the DS864's 8 different layers as a multitimbral instrument directly in Project5. Version 1.x could not do this. The other trick is to use a virtual MIDI router (like MIDI Yoke) to route multiple tracks to different channels of a single instance of the DS864. The Project5 Wiki has two articles for these techniques: http://p5.sonarama.com/p5/index.php/Technique_List#Multi-timbral_Synths .

See if those Wiki articles help get you where you want to go.

-Techead
    zblip
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Using P5 instruments directly in Sonar 2005/08/28 14:46:36 (permalink)
    Thanks a million buddy! The "insert the synth in the effects bin" saves the day!
    The only draw back to this is finding a way to have the envelope automation follow the midi clips when moving stuff arround. but that is a minimal problem compared to my previous one.

Turn down the volume! You're disturbing the neighbourgs!
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Using P5 instruments directly in Sonar 2005/08/28 15:58:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: zblip

Thanks a million buddy! The "insert the synth in the effects bin" saves the day!
    The only draw back to this is finding a way to have the envelope automation follow the midi clips when moving stuff arround. but that is a minimal problem compared to my previous one.

The other alternative is to add an extra midi track for the instrument (make sure it is routed to the required instrument) and then use midi clips to draw in the automation; in the area where you would normally draw in Velocity etc you can select NRPN and this will list all the automatable parameters for the synth...you can then draw in the automation there. It doesn't offer the same resolution as the envelope based automation does, but you can at least move automation around like any other midi clip...

BTW: I am pretty sure there is a way to 'lock' an envelope to a clip, so that as you move the clip all the nodes within that clip are moved as well...can't remember how though...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1