Using Session Drummer 3 samples as drum backing track

Author
redsavina
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/11/23 00:02:10 (permalink)

Using Session Drummer 3 samples as drum backing track

I am very new to Sonar 8.5, however, I have figured out enough to record different tracks.  What I would like to do now is use Session Drummer 3 to create the backing track.

I have watched a few tutorials, and have discovered how to access the sample tracks.  I click on "A" or "B" or "c" etc... until I find the one I like.  Then, I click on the little +with the music note to add it to my track view.  Just to the right of this option, there is a number which I believe represents the length of the sample.

I am wondering why when I add the selected sample to the track view, it contains more "stuff" in the drum pattern, and it doesnt match the listed length of the sample.  I find one that I really like, then I add it, and the first 1/2 of the sample is what I am looking for, however, the 2nd half is something totally different.  Why does it do this?  Is there a way to just get the sample that I hear when I click on "A", "B", or "C"? 

I just want to use the sample to do an intro, then add the other parts of the song such as chorus, bridge, solo, etc...  Then record my guitar input over the predefined drums.  I believe this is what Session Drummer is designed to do, however, I am stuck when the sample is different once I add it to the track view.

Any assistance will be appreciated. 

4 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Using Session Drummer 3 samples as drum backing track 2010/11/23 11:45:44 (permalink)
    I am wondering why when I add the selected sample to the track view, it contains more "stuff" in the drum pattern, and it doesnt match the listed length of the sample.

I have found that the pattern Session Drummer plays is not always the same pattern you get when you drag it to a MIDI track. There is some sort of indexing error between that link and the file system. To be sure you get the same pattern you're hearing, take note of the .mid file name, go find it in the Pattern folder for Session Drummer, and drag it from there.

If you give me a specific example of a pattern mismatch, I can check it out and confirm that's the problem.

satish_bhat
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Using Session Drummer 3 samples as drum backing track 2010/11/23 17:29:22 (permalink)
    I too am quite new to Sonar Producer 8.5 although I was using HS7 for a while.  If the midi clip that you dragged into the clip view from SD3 has more info, you can always 'slip edit' or use destructive edit of the clip to keep just what you want.  I have noticed that you can actually change the "bars" in SD3 and that may have an effect on what (i.e., how many bars of the midi pattern) gets played corresponding to A, B, C, etc.

Hope this helps! 
    redsavina
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Using Session Drummer 3 samples as drum backing track 2010/11/24 11:22:35 (permalink)
    I dont think its a mismatch problem.  What happens is that I load a kit, and then click on the "A" pattern.  If I dont loop it, then it plays for 8 beats.  Then, when I click and drag that to the track view, and then play it from there, it plays the first 8 beats just like the sample, but then there is an additional 8 beats that is different than the first 8 beats.

I thought it would be simple enough to use the pre determined kits to quickly add an intro, then a chorus, then a verse, then a bridge, etc... and in like 2 mintues, have the backing track setup, but when I do this, the drums sound pretty crazy and random, as though it was not designed to do this.

I have been looking into using the option to create my own beats, but this seems like a lot of work to do.  I have been watching the Drum Session 3 Master class videos on youtube, and they have been helpful.  For the most part I can recreate what that guy is doing, however, I have ran into a strange problem with this method that I cant seem to figure out. 

I was hoping that Session Drummer 3 would be a quick and easy way to get drums going, because I mainly play guitar, bass, and blues harp, and I dont want to invest $500+ in a drum set, $200 to mic them, and the next 12-24 months trying to figure out how to actually play the drums, lol.

Is there a way to drag and drop drum patterns from the samples to the track view quickly, and have it sound consistent enough that it works?

What also would work for me is in the main drum view (where you can see the drum kit), to be able to click on "A" or "B" or "C" etc... and record that directly to the track view.  I can simply click on on the different parts when I want it to change, and if I could record it right from there, I would be done in like 5 minutes, and get on with working on other parts of the songs I would want to create.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Using Session Drummer 3 samples as drum backing track 2010/11/24 18:51:30 (permalink)
    Then, when I click and drag that to the track view, and then play it from there, it plays the first 8 beats just like the sample, but then there is an additional 8 beats that is different than the first 8 beats.

In addition to sometimes linking to the wrong file. Session drummer sometimes only plays part of a file. So it will show the pattern is 4 beats, and only play the first 4 beats, but the whole file is 12 bars with a fill in the last measure. When you drag the file, you get all 12 bars. If you only want the first 4 or 8 beats, you can easily slip-edit the end back.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1