Using a midi controller with Rapture

Author
LostChord
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
2006/07/02 03:39:00 (permalink)

Using a midi controller with Rapture

This probably applies to Dim Pro as well.

How are people configuring Rapture for midi control when doing sound design???

There seems to be about 300 distinct controls available - 100 buttons and 200 knobs - that have a midi learn capability. Rene has stated that midi learn is omni but it does not take the channel into account. So you don't have enough CCs for the knobs and 100 buttons is going to chew up a lot of keyboard if you have to go that way.

So how are you doing it???

Can something meaningfull be done without the learn taking channel into account??? My (untried) ideal would be to have the controls for each element on a seperate channel and then just have different controller presets for each element where all the controller assignments are identical apart from the channel.

<New>
How are the buttons meant to be controlled?? I can turn things off with a button on the midi controller but cannot turn things on. I was expecting buttons to toggle between on and off when they received the control sequence. Doesn't seem to be the case. I will keep experimenting.
</New>

cheers
post edited by LostChord - 2006/07/02 04:47:51

We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

2 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Using a midi controller with Rapture 2006/07/02 11:50:34 (permalink)
    Can something meaningfull be done without the learn taking channel into account???
    There are several ways to approach Rapture without MIDI Learn. One might be to set up your controller templates generically, and use the control parameters available to the MIDI Matrix in conjunction with MIDI Learn. Another would be to use the DX Automation parameters exposed in your host application, and use that distinct type of MIDI Learn (if featured) to set up RP/DP external control. In my hosts, that will override and intercept anything that's configured in the synth's MIDI Learn.

It's also possible to set up several Rapture MIDI Learn configurations, and fly them in alongside your templates. This would be a manual swap, however, involving multiple MidiCfgXX.bin files under the MIDI folder, and renaming to MidiCfg00.bin. It's not an automatic approach.

There's something to consider when designing for public use, though. For your own control setup, you can make it as exotic as you want. To distribute, you have to take into account what everyone else might/might not have at their disposal. Even channel aftertouch or release velocity are risky propositions in this light. I've been using common controls (mod & pitch wheels), note-related messages (velocity, alternate, keyboard, KB gate), or internally generated random controls.

In the MIDI Matrix, multiple Sources can control a single Destination, or the reverse, so that's become my approach for per-patch design. Beyond that, there's .sfz editing (with a bit of a learning curve). And remember that Volume, Expression, Sustain, Sostenuto, Global Attack, and Global Release [CC#s 7, 11, 64, 66, 73, and 72] are "hardwired". MIDI Learn doesn't apply to CC#s 0, 32, 120, 121, and 123 for across-the-board compatibility.
    I can turn things off with a button on the midi controller but cannot turn things on. I was expecting buttons to toggle between on and off when they received the control sequence.
    Button behavoir is configured in your controller itself. (Usually) anything with a value over 63 [0-127 limits] is On. There may be a Normal, Toggle, Momentary, or Step-type of button in your controller. It sounds like you have a Normal (one-shot high value) on that button; Toggle would act in the expected way.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Using a midi controller with Rapture 2006/07/02 13:23:01 (permalink)
    While the old MIDI specification is somehow limited in terms of MIDI Continuous Controls (CC) available, that is rarely a limitation.

After substracting the controls not allowed by MIDI Learn, there are still like 120 MIDI controls capable of being assigned to Rapture or Dimension Pro buttons and knobs. Most controllers have way less than that, and even combining several controllers it would just be impractical to have such a panel to program.

A single MIDI controller can be assigned to multiple destinations in Rapture, and a single destination can be controlled by different MIDI CC's. This allows for grouping controls in any user-preference fashion.

But still, the most common (and reasonable imo) way to create programs is completely the opposite. The program is created in such a way that the user has always a small number of controls (i.e. aftertouch, mod wheel, velocity, sustain, volume and expression pedals, and eight knobs to say something), and those are assigned to different destinations via the Modulation Matrix. Then, when the user selects a patch, the controls transform the patch -in context- with the sound. Thus, modulation wheel in a piano sound would add reverb, while in a trumpet sound would add vibrato.

-René
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1