Using an SSD for the OS question for Scott

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2011/03/24 11:47:43 (permalink)

Using an SSD for the OS question for Scott

Hi Scott, I saw you mention (more than once actually) that an SSD drive is useless for the OS so I wanted to ask a bit about why you thought that (and not pollute the other thread).

I was thinking that having the OS along with temporary files on a smaller SSD would allow for faster boot-up, quicker program launch and speedier temp file usage.  In general, making the whole PC run faster.

What was I missing that makes an SSD drive useless for an OS?

Thanks!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

3 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Using an SSD for the OS question for Scott 2011/03/24 14:31:37 (permalink)
    all you mentioned is correct. at least to some degree, temp files are only a small help.
    programs are installed on the C drive will open quicker but still have to scan your audio and samples drives. 

i am presently using one of the new Intel 250G (sent to me by Intel for free, i would never have spent the $600 needed to buy this drive and it is very fast)

now with that said an SSD offers little to no improvement for audio as an OS drive.
    (unless a laptop)

only reason i post against them is price for the gain. a good one is over $240 (120-128G) minimum for an OS.
    a cheap one is not worth having.
    if you have lots of money to burn by all means

of the 4 SSDs i have now had , i paid full price for the first (OCZ 60) way too small... and slow for that matter
    1/2 price on the next 2 (intel, Mushkin <-still a fast drive)
    only reason i had any to begin with as i have to be able to give factual comments not just go by benchmarks
    or i would have never spent money past the first.

i tend to recomend like i would spend my money!

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Using an SSD for the OS question for Scott 2011/03/24 20:20:05 (permalink)
    Good to know.  Thanks for the reply!

Once I have enough money to build the new DAW I probably will give you a call anyway.  Being in a startup business means you don't spend what you don't have, so it could be as much as six months down the road.  Lots of things will probably have changed by then and we might be on X1q too (I'm still on Producer v4).

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    dkslim
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re:Using an SSD for the OS question for Scott 2011/03/25 08:17:36 (permalink)
    Just wondering, won't the SSD make VSTi load up faster? For example, whenever I load up Kontakt or Spectrasonics or another big VSTi, it takes about 3 seconds before it pops up, wouldn't a SSD reduce that to instantaneous?

Also, talking about using the SSD as a samples drive now, how much faster do samples load up on it with Kontakt?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1