Usng the ProChannel for Upright Bass

Author
tvolhein
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 413
2011/03/16 14:43:15 (permalink)

Usng the ProChannel for Upright Bass

I am curious what compression and EQ settings to use in ProChannel for upright bass.  I have a nice rich sound from my tracking, but would like more mids and a little more punch.  I am new to this.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Volhein
tvolhein@gmail.com
http://www.tomvolhein.com
H55 motherboard, Intel i7 870, SATA-II, TI Firewire, USB-3, 4 GB DDR3, 3-1TB HDs (130MB/Sec), Dual head video (1GB), 22x DVD/RW w/lightscribe, Windows 7 x64, Sonar Platinum, latest build x64, Fireface 800

4 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Usng the ProChannel for Upright Bass 2011/03/16 15:59:06 (permalink)
    What is the tempo of your tune?

tunekicker
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    Re:Usng the ProChannel for Upright Bass 2011/03/28 01:41:47 (permalink)
    For EQ I'd find frequency you want to boost in the mids, then cycle through the modes in Pro Channel.

For Compression, 4 to 1 is a great general setting for bass and vocals.
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Usng the ProChannel for Upright Bass 2011/03/28 13:21:12 (permalink)
    tvolhein

... but would like more mids and a little more punch.  I am new to this.

'Punch- and 'I am new to this. As always, an experiment first -with attack.
    Start at a nice low ratio (2:1's fine) for this to highlight just how much of the impact and effect lives in the first hundred ms or so. 
    Lets say 40ms attack and 100 release (relatively fast so it is not covering up much of the compression effect here) for a start and enough reduction so you hear the effect.
    Now go from real fast (5-10ms say) right on out through 200. You'll likely find a huge change in reduction so reset the threshold.
    Looking at the bass waves attack is playing with the window within, around or partly, you are letting those leading peaks through (or not.
    Increasing 'punch sometimes means having the comp let them through and then clamping down, then adding some level. (Body', sustain deemphasized, attacks highlighted- Carful very low ratio expansion works sometimes on bass for this as well.
    Sometimes we think we might want 'punch but just having a thing more consistent let's us then raise the track.
    On the mid tones thing I'd say if it's flabby, too heavy', dip, shelve and/or hi pass to get the bottom in line, then see if you still need to look for lifts.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Usng the ProChannel for Upright Bass 2011/03/30 09:39:11 (permalink)
    You can sometimes use two compressors. The first with a relativelyl slow attack to allow the plucking part of the note to go through uncompressed, giving the attack of the note more emphasis. The second compressor can use a much faster attack, a high ratio, and a high threshold to limit the attacks to all fall within reasonable limits.

On bass frequecies attack and release can impact tone quite a bit. As you go to higher ratios and faster attack and release settings the compressor can actually attack and release on each cycle of the wave form which causes distortion. This is often done intentionally on electric bass to create upper harmonics.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1