V Vocal clips

Author
agbrydon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2006/09/14 18:53:26 (permalink)

V Vocal clips

HI

I like the V Vocal interface and it works well. That is, when I can get it to work. My problem is that sometimes I cannot get the V Vocal to recognise the audio data. On some projects it works flawlessly, on others not but I cant see any difference in my settings.

The symptoms are; I highlight the audio clip (have tried small and large clips) then I insert V Vocal clip. The V Vocal screen comes up but there is no data on the screen. No matter what I click (key, etc) its blank. However, in the track view there appears to be a v vocal clip with clear audio waveform. This clip is bypassed by default, so wont playback. When I un-bypass it, it plays, but its not a corrected file, and if I click on the clip to bring up the screen, there is no data on the screen.

I have Producer 5.2

(Clips are normalised.)

Yet, sometimes (in other projects) it works fine.

I'm baffled? Has anyone else seen this or am I missing something obvious?

Your help greatly appreciated.

Al

16 Replies Related Threads

DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/14 19:09:11 (permalink)
    A:
    Welcome to the forum. This same thing happened to me recently - are you using track layers? That was my obstacle.

-D

yarimurray
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/14 19:35:15 (permalink)
    This happened to me just last night (my first time using V-Vocal). It happened randomly and I needed to close and reopen the project to get it to work properly. No track layers here, either.

Strange

Michael

3.2GHz Dual core 6GB RAM Windows 7 Professional (SP1) - Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 - SONAR Platinum - Project 5v2 - Dimension Pro - Rapture - REAPER - StudioOne 3 Artist - Capture - Harrison Mixbus (DAW junkie)
    rayoung
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 166
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/14 21:06:23 (permalink)
    i also found with v-vocal u must bounce to track after basically every fix.
    agbrydon
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/15 07:21:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.

No layers. I have been experimenting today and can open a new project with the V Vocal working fine. Checked settings again and they are the same as the projects that dont work. Have connected same instruments etc to check that too.

However, have just tried to copy and paste an audio clip from an existing (non working) project into a new one to see if the V Vocal works in the new (working) project. I get a message saying that the sample rate of the clip is not the same as the current project.

So could there be a limit on sampling rates recognisable by V Vocal? Am not sure why the rates are different as I used default but will experement a little more.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

Al
    moniker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 614
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/15 10:13:19 (permalink)
    Dear Al,

I found that V Vocal needs an appreciable ampiltude in the track you're working on to display the wave form. I don't know if this is relevant to you but is worth noting.

If you think it may be relevant then clone the track and archive one instance for safety (I always do that when working with V Vocal anyway), then normalise the track to close to 0db. See if it then displays in V Vocal.

All the best,
    Harry
    agbrydon
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/15 10:45:38 (permalink)
    Thanks Harry

Thanks for the suggestion. The clips are already normalised. I checked again however and tried your suggestion on a new cloned track. Used different normalisation rates up to max. No joy. Tried exporting the audio, changing the sample rate and importing but still no joy.

Al
    moniker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 614
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/15 13:36:51 (permalink)
    Hi Al,

I'm sorry; this is a new one on me!

Bump - anyone else got a bright idea?

Good luck,
    Harry
    pdlstl
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/15 13:48:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: agbrydon
    <snip
    However, in the track view there appears to be a v vocal clip with clear audio waveform. This clip is bypassed by default, so wont playback. When I un-bypass it, it plays, but its not a corrected file,
    <snip>

The clip you are referring to is the orignal clip which sometimes show up on top of the corrected V-Vocal clip. I usually see this behavior after bouncing the V-Vocal clip to a new clip.

I was suffering the same issue as you (no visible waveform in V-Vocal) at which point SONAR would shut down and I would have to restart computer after a manual shut-down.

I've since upgraded to the latest SONAR patch AND always bounce the V-Vocal clip to a new clip as soon as it'be been corrected in V-Vocal. Not sure which solved the problem but I suspect (as posted earlier in this post) that bouncing after each correction to be the solution.

YMMV...
    agbrydon
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/16 07:01:44 (permalink)
    Hi YMMV

Thanks for that. My problem at the moment (when this occusrs) is that I am unable to correct any clips because they dont show up on the V Vocal screen. So there is nothing to bounce.

Weird why this problem is intermittent.

Al
    pdlstl
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/16 09:27:31 (permalink)
    Okay, I understand now.

And yes, that's exactly what I was experiencing. No waveform in the V-Vocal window to work with. Except when this was happening to me, V-Vocal and SONAR would lock up for several minutes then shut itself down. At that point I would have to manually shut down my computer and re-start.

I seemed to have solved this by bouncing each clip as soon as it it's corrected. Meaning, the only clip in a given track that actually says "V-Vocal Clip" is the one I'm working on. I did this for several hours just last night and didn't suffer a minute's trouble.

Also, I hadn't installed the 5.2 patch at the time this problem was happening. I see you've already done this.

Just try bouncing each clip as you correct it and see if this helps.
    post edited by pdlstl - 2006/09/16 09:41:34
    agbrydon
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/16 09:30:08 (permalink)
    Have been trying various things this morning and I think I may have solved it. (I hope)
    I had previously been experiencing drop out and jitter on the audio play back whilst recording, as well as sluggish and erratic midi playback during recording and had tried various settings.
    On the projects where V Vocal wont work it looks like I had recorded the audio at 22050 sample rate. (they were just quick demo sketches) But I had inadvertently left the setting at that for some projects. Where I have recorded at 44100 and above they work in V Vocal. I've just re-recorded a vocal track at 44100 and it works fine. So it seems (if I'm right) the audio data was not high enough in qualityb for V Vocal in the offending clips.

When I was comparing settings I didn't see the different sample setting at first as the settings box showed the default 44100. Some previously recorded clips were less. (how do you check the actual sample rate of a clip?)

Will scan the postings for optimum advice on the audio playback issue, am sure there will be many but if anyone can point me to a particularly relevant post that would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your helpful and much apreciated comments.

Al

(Scotland)

rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/16 09:54:39 (permalink)
    Guys...

What I've noticed, is that V-Vocal will stop recognizing / defining melodies when there are many multiple V-Vocal clips on the same track. If I have 6 instances on 6 clips on the same track, it's usually the 7th (or so) that will not register. A save, close, reopen usually solves it. However I've been trying to work with longer clip files on each track and it seems to be working better.
    agbrydon
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/16 11:44:37 (permalink)
    That could be related to my problem David. Looks like I'm not quite out of the woods yet. I've just tried to process a second vocal track. The first worked well. But the clips on the second track dont. (recorded at same settings) They wont even playback as raw tracks. If I copy the clips to a new project however, they play fine.
    Closing (even rebooting) doesn't help.

Al
    agbrydon
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/16 12:26:56 (permalink)
    Progress.

The latter glitch was a latency issue.

Al
    agbrydon
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/20 04:00:18 (permalink)
    Just an update guys. Although I made some progress there still seems to be an intermittent glitch in V Vocal. One of the audio clips on a track (from the test recoding I did with idential settings, nrmalisation etc) wont appear in V Vocal even though the others do. Bouncing, restarting etc doesn't fix it. I can work around that as its not critical but in the meantime thanks for the comments and please let me know if you come accross any more information.

Yours Aye

Al

Scotland
    rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: V Vocal clips 2006/09/20 07:12:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: agbrydon

Just an update guys. Although I made some progress there still seems to be an intermittent glitch in V Vocal. One of the audio clips on a track (from the test recoding I did with idential settings, nrmalisation etc) wont appear in V Vocal even though the others do. Bouncing, restarting etc doesn't fix it. I can work around that as its not critical but in the meantime thanks for the comments and please let me know if you come accross any more information.

Yours Aye

Al

Scotland

One thing that I find *insanely* frustrating is the fact that the V-Vocal clips are not locked to the muted clip below it. Have you ever tried to re-assemble your track layers with V-vocal on it or moved / copied V-vocal clips around ??? Sheesh...

That is weird. Anytime I find that V-vocal will not recognize the clip for definition, a quick close out and restart of Sonar fixes it.
    post edited by rossipsu1 - 2006/09/20 07:26:29
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1