V-700 Studio review in EQ mag

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 17:08:05 (permalink)

Assuming that Roland and Cakewalk made all the right decisions is as naive if not more naive than assuming that they made all the wrong decisions. (Note that I am doing neither. Just speculating and discussing).

UnderTow

I don't assume any such thing. I have absolutely no idea whether it will be a success. And neither do you.
aoresteen
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 17:55:51 (permalink)
I'd still would like to know what Roland is saying if you need 16 or 24 inputs. Does Roland think that 8 inputs are all that are needed or will they sell additional individual V700R units?

Right now all I need are 8 inputs but in the future I will need 16. I guess I could just use my M-Audio Delta 1010LT with the V700 but then I will have created a mixed environment for a 'total' solution product. You can be sure that if the audio interfaces do not work together, I would call Roland and expect them to solve the problem I created by adding their hardware to my existing system.

I can see the advantaged of a bundled deal IF it cost less than the individual components combined. Since we don't have individual pricing, it is kinda of hard to do that analysis. Maybe we will have to wait for the V-705.
post edited by aoresteen - 2008/10/14 18:00:31

Tony
Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Win XP Pro SP3
Sonar PE 8.5
Dual Acer 22" Monitors
Alesis QSR, E-MU Proteus 2000 & lots of guitars
Newnan, GA 30265
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 17:59:26 (permalink)
You can double up on the IO box to get 16 XLR inputs. Don't know if you can go to three for 24, though.
ducatibruce2
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 557
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 18:55:33 (permalink)
Or you can expand using ADAT and/or AES/EBU to 21/30 (19/24 simultaneous) on the 1st IO box.

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
ducatibruce2
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 19:02:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

ducati,

Actually, on the Cake site there was a 360 degree view of the Controller. I noticed a couple of jacks on the back rather than a single conector to the audio interface. I couldn't tell what the jacks were - but it was that view that disappeared. <snip>

There's still a 360 here http://www.sonarvstudio.com/vs-700c.php - 360 link is at bottom right near "back to studio".

With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
jgreenlee
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 210
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 19:15:39 (permalink)
I'm not gonna bash...I've been using Cakewalk products since 1994.

I really do enjoy using SONAR (Except when it does really really dumb stuff like ignoring my automation)

I haven't posted in this forum in probably 3 years or so but this V-Studio has brought me out of hiding.

Two years ago I did my last outside project and since then I've only done personal stuff. This year I've undergone some massive updates in the "home studio" and am wrapping up some new outside projects as a trial run with the "new" setup.

I'm still on SONAR 6 which has served my needs fine however I'm considering the upgrade to S8 now. Not that I really need it...But I'm interested in the performance enhancements and using external hardware.

I've also used Roland gear. I've used their little all-in-one studio deals, and their sound modules and synths. I have an old Roland U-20 that I use as a controller when I do the rare synth thing.

I'm not a keyboard guy...I'm an audio guy. I have real musicians playing real instruments in real rooms with real mics and preamps. I've got a rack full of cool preamps with more on the way and I'm looking at upgrading my audio converters.

I will not be buying the Rack I/O thing for this V-Studio. I have no need for it and see it as a potential step-backward from where I'm at now.

I am however interested in the controller. My perception is that it would add some cool functionality to my setup and I've been looking at controllers for some time but have always spent money on other things as they made more sense.

When I look at this V-Studio solution at a MSRP of $5k....I think "Shyeah!!! RIIIIIIGHT!"

To speak really bluntly...I really couldn't care less about some "Fantom" synth. That means absolutely nothing to me.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable using Roland pre's or converters. I mean seriously...I've got a bunch of really cool stuff with transformers and tubes in them that hands down kill anything I've ever heard from Roland. And Roland converters? I'm really thinking more along the lines of Apogee, Lynx or Lavry. Maybe Mytek. Why would I want to use this Roland box?

And really that's all you get for $5k.

A control surface
A Synth module
A audio/midi interface
And Sonar 8.

Granted...If I had nothing and wanted to start from scratch with something this might be appealing. But there's some hidden costs here.

I need a PC. $1k (and it might not even work with this package...The Bakers (to my knowledge) have given no advice about what computer to get.)

I need a controller so that I can use that cool Fantom synth. I guess they made the assumption that you already have one of those. But for an all-in-one package the purpose is to give you everything you need. So...Let's say $200 here.

I want to record a full band....I need an additional I/O box. No telling how much that is. We'll say it's $1000. That's probably about right for 8 channels of decent quality A/D/A.

And I need a bunch of mics and cabling. That's gonna be anywhere from $500 to $20k.

So to really do anything with this $4k (estimated street) Sonar V-Studio (assuming I have nothing to start with) I need to spend an additional 2700+ hard-earned dollars.

For that kinda money I can buy a PT rig. ( not that I would...I've save on all fronts and just buy seperate components)

And for someone like me who already has pretty good converters and pres and would really like to have a solid high-performance computer and tightly integrated control surface, I'm forced to buy a bunch of crap that I'm not interested in having and probably won't use. Well maybe that's a stretch...You can always use some extra I/O...And I could probably configure that Fantom thingy to be a ****in' metronome.

I'm with Undertow....From my perspective the Bakers have missed it. And as usual, the die-hard Cakewalk zealots just can't stand to hear someone speak anything remotely critical of what the Bakers do.

So before anyone jumps on my rear about anything...let's recap.

I've used Cakewalk since Version 2.0.1.

I've upgraded to every version only skipping 7 and 8 of CPA and so far 7 of SONAR.

I've used PT, DP, Nuendo, Cubase, Logic, blah blah blah and like SONAR the BEST.

I'm simply saying that at that price tag, and where I'm at...This V-Studio thing makes absolutely no sense. (to me as Undertow has said a bajillion times)

James

(Frustrated because he has to go fix an S6 project that fails to follow automation anymore)
jerry@macwood.com
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 324
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 19:23:21 (permalink)
I need to upgrade my old aarvark 24/96 what audio card would integrate nice a tight with this new operation system with at min 8in an d8 out?
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 19:41:46 (permalink)
the mere fact that it comes with Sonar 8 makes me think that it is not directed to you!

But potentially new customers...customers who want to build there studio with Sonar at the hub and as wireless and accessible as possible maybe home owners with serious ambitons...

err! maybe?

with less destractions and very compact...now if studios are moving in the direction that less can be more and encourages creativity, then again, maybe they are on to something. I have not heard them say that they are making this product without sonar 8. so maybe through marketing they have seen a niche in an affordable professional studio with sonar and the Fantom at the Hub. Personally, i see nothing wrong with the Fantom. Lots of hip hop producers use the sounds from there. So while cakewalk have their own fan base...cakewalk/roland may have a new fan base the (inbetweenie market). lol

I wonder what CJ would think of it as he seems to be a gadget man. maybe this would fall into his price range...for me, sadly it doesnt. but it is an adaptation on how one would work in sonar. and it seems to have an ebb an flow for those who work on inspiration rather than those that meticulously and methodically work around a studo. so workflow is the main aim i would suggest.

Again not for me...but if I made some money out of producing i may consider it. At the mo alot of studios are going for the all in one studio Nikko & Mikko springs to mind, which is probably in the same price bracket. whether or not it takes the strain of cpu as has been mentioned in the vids that accompany it, this is probably to be seen on a joe bloggs of the shelf daisy computer.

I like it but alas my dear yorich! it is not for me but hey if anyone wants to buy me one I won't say no!!!
Jim Wright
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1218
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 19:42:13 (permalink)
Not to get into a flame war, but I'd like to respond to a few points (mostly by Undertow)

Jim I think it makes all kinds of sense to launch with a single bundled configuration.....

Undertow: I don't agree with this. All the components of the system should work smoothly with each other whether they are bundled or sold separately. That is inherent in a well designed modular system. The VS-700 product as it stand, still has all the PC compatibility issues a modular system would have. There is no telling whether a potential customer has or doesn't have a second or third audio interface or intends to purchase one later on.

A bundled system only has to work "guaranteed" with kinds of items that aren't part of the bundle (obviously, it's better if it works with more items). Bundling the audio interface with everything else means that the core test matrix only has to include a) the VS-700 components and b) a broad range of representative PCs. The core test matrix does not have to include every kind of Windows-compatible audio interface on the planet. Given how fussy audio and MIDI drivers can be, and how much work I know Roland has put into making drivers that work well under both XP and Vista --- I can easily understand why Cakewalk/Roland decided to focus on a single bundled configuration at launch time. Yes, their initial market will be more limited (or "targeted" as John said), but the odds of a really smooth end-user experience are quite a lot better that way (IMHO).

The biggest hurdle is compatibility with the PC hardware. Modularity of the VS-700 has no bearing on that.

I have to disagree. The biggest hurdle is compatibility with third-party interfaces and things like UAD cards. Roland has invested a lot of sweat into USB drivers (they pioneered USB MIDI, FWIW), and worked very closely with Microsoft to develop optimized USB audio and MIDI drivers (This I know for a fact; I used to do MIDI standards work with the Roland folks involved in that end of things). I understand completely why Roland would have chosen to go with USB, and focus initially on interface hardware that they control completely.

Usually highly successful products are not discontinued.

Uh... What? The Korg Polysix (made enough money to buy an office building in Tokyo) was discontinued after a couple of years (replaced by Poly-61, which was cheaper and sounded worse, IMHO - I helped design both, btw). The Korg M1 defined workstation synths for quite a while, but was eventually discontinued. (Okay, the Triton line was the successor to the M1, and the Oasys/M3/M50 are arguably the latest Korg products in that general category.)

Yes and the industry is rife with companies that have gone bankrupt!

Korg (who I was citing) and Roland have done pretty well for more than 30 years now.

Tyacko: You are leaving out the most important thing in all of this "trouble-free" experience and that is the PC itself. That is where this single bundled configuration will likely fail unless they specifically sell it with a PC that has been certified to work with the bundle.

Well, I actually mentioned that in the next paragraph ... where I said there was a good opportunity for 3rd-party DAW shops. Cakewalk/Roland might very well decide to sell a fully-bundled version (with PC), and/or certify a small number of PCs (as Digi has done). However, customers tend to resist both approaches; they want freedom of choice here (as they do for audio interfaces too - and freedom to choose 'just the control surface', obviously).

Undertow: When a simple design change allows to target both markets, it makes sense to make that small design change. This is not an either or situation.

I agree with that. I'd bet the internal design, right now, will support 'unbundled' use of the control surface. They just haven't chosen to enable that capability at present.

Deciding to launch the VS-700 this way is a marketing decision, not a technical decision. I have no doubt that it would be easy to connect just the control-surface component to a PC (technically speaking). I don't, personally, think it's very plausible that the VS-700 is just a "disassembled Fantom-G that's spread around the room and cabled together". Not unless the Fantom has a heck of a lot more knobs, dials and faders than I'm guessing it does.... and was designed from the get-go to deeply integrate with ACT. So, I'm guessing that the "OS" that runs the control surface -- is running on embedded computer hardware within the console. (In a past life, I worked on big console automation systems at Otari Console Products; our gear had lots of embedded micros, and I'd bet the VS-700 does too). Guessing further, I'd bet some of the 'mystery connectors' on the back of the VS-700 --- will turn out to be designed to interface directly with a PC, when the VS-700 is unbundled sometime down the road.

Look, if you really think their marketing approach is nuts -- apply for that Product Manager opening.

Personally, I think the product seems pretty well-conceived, leverages the strengths of both Cakewalk and Roland, and would make for a pretty nice small-room facility. The "VS" product line seems to have plenty of room to grow - up, down and sideways. The bundled approach (to me) seems likely to increase the chances of a smooth product launch. The biggest drawback, probably, is that it will tick off existing Sonar users who already have nice audio interfaces, and/or don't want the built-in Fantom. (That drawback will go away after the control surface is unbundled, assuming I'm right.)

Again: This is a pretty ambitious product. Getting everything to work smoothly is hard enough without having to deal with differences between different sound cards, driver versions, outboard hardware, etc. etc. Cakewalk and Roland surely want the 'out of box' experience to be as trouble-free as possible. Using a bundled approach will increase the odds that all will go well during the initial launch. Frankly, they're also better off supporting a smaller number of initial customers that have each spent more on the product - and are therefore more committed to making their $$ purchase work. Once they're ramped up, and have a lot of field experience under their belts, they can broaden their focus. Give them time.

Just my 2 bits,
Jim

Ham N Egz
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15161
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 19:47:04 (permalink)
First off let me say I love Roland equipment ,having been a user since the 80's of their keyboards, modules, sequencers, goodies and recorders, and cakewalk since the 12 tone days. now the BUT..
but I also own some door stops , like the SI24 (the word studio was in the description) mixing console using their RBUS technology .. BTW what happened to that ??? now it was the kats meow and expensive when I purchased it.. and was a "little" convoluted in its operation (ohh wait that thas the vm3100 pro) .. it did its job in a fashion .. but where is it now and where is its support ..
I hope the V-Studio 700 does not follow suite....

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

soundtweaker
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1036
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 22:56:00 (permalink)
Firewire is gonna die in a couple years.
Apples new macbook pro just announced has no firewire port now.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 23:25:12 (permalink)
Wow, Apple new ones don't have firewire.

I think with all the advances with CPU, having the USB audio doesn't really matter anymore. What matters is solid drivers.

Ed
ducatibruce2
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/15 00:16:44 (permalink)
@ musicman100 - My SI24 is still earning a living as a control surface for Sonar 8, the RPC is installed though only to provide access to the SI24 via its midi channel using the original Sonar3 driver. The SI is not so successful as an ACT controller though.

@ Jim Wright
<snip>Not unless the Fantom has a heck of a lot more knobs, dials and faders than I'm guessing it does.... <snip>

It has a whole truckload http://www.roland.com/products/com/Fantom-G8/images/top_L.jpg (best I could find sorry)
Edited highlights 8 faders, 16 velocity & aftertouch pads, transport section including jog wheel & a whole bunch of function buttons, all of which are multi function (eg the 16 pads have , I believe, 16 functions assignable) due to the small form factor. Plus all the normal Roland synth gizmos like D Beam, pitch bend, VLink etc

Dont forget this is a box that was designed to be a synth, sampler, sequencer (124 tracks inc 24 audio) and (limited) audio interface with nothing added except a power point & headphones/speakers.

To counter my own position the USB connector on the VS surface looks more like a connect it to a computer style, rather than plug in a mouse style so you may be right about it being unbundleable.

Jim Wright
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/15 00:38:18 (permalink)
ducatibruce2 - thanks for the link.

The Fantom-G8 does not have moving (motorized) faders. Getting motorized faders to work properly requires dedicated microprocessors and special circuitry (we used 1 microprocessor for every 4 faders on the Otari Concept console I worked on in the early 90's).

Based on that - I can't see how the VS-700 could be a repackaged Fantom-G8. It may use some of the same parts internally (that would be smart design by Roland), but it's a different beast.

Plus, the Fantom-G8 doesn't seem to have anything like ACT support, and I'd guess that its LCD drive circuitry is significantly different (a few LCD strips are not equivalent to a big rectangular TFT LCD). Ok, maybe the D-Beam controller could be used for destroying Aldaran, in a pinch

Breaking out the control surface as a separately-sold standalone product still seems quite feasible, technically. I don't think Cakewalk ever said it couldn't be done - they just said they wouldn't (in January, when the product is launched). Who know what they'll do later in the year? I'm sure they'll think hard about what works best, for current customers and the new ones they hope to get.

Personally, I think it's a cool product, and bodes well for the future of 'Cakewalk by Roland'.

- Jim
ducatibruce2
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/15 03:10:23 (permalink)
Jim

I know I made it sound like it was one bloke with a band saw, a bent phillips head & some gaffer tape but I was over simplifying.

I thought ACT was only one way & all the two way stuff (eg motorised faders, scribble strips etc) - the tight integration - was handled by the driver plugins. That impression was reinforced by Brandon pointing at a small section at top left of the VS surface & referring to ACT & the VS site showing a picture of that same section labelled 'channel strip & ACT' or similar

jim y
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 721
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/15 04:21:22 (permalink)
AT, I though I read somewhere that the 700 controller has convenience jacks for a mic, hi-z guitar input and footswitch?

Jim
Jim Wright
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/15 13:41:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ducatibruce2

Jim

I know I made it sound like it was one bloke with a band saw, a bent phillips head & some gaffer tape but I was over simplifying.

I thought ACT was only one way & all the two way stuff (eg motorised faders, scribble strips etc) - the tight integration - was handled by the driver plugins. That impression was reinforced by Brandon pointing at a small section at top left of the VS surface & referring to ACT & the VS site showing a picture of that same section labelled 'channel strip & ACT' or similar

>> one bloke with a band saw .... & some gaffers tape...
No worries; I knew what you meant. Gaffers tape can work wonders; I remember an airline flight recently where the flight was delayed due to a 'tray table malfunction', and the maintenance guys swarmed over the tray table mechanism with with gaffers tape, 3 rows ahead of me. We did get cleared for takeoff eventually....... My dad tells a story about doing geological survey work in the Alaskan outback, in the '50s; the small plane that was going to fly him out suffered a broken wooden propeller; they used duct tape to hold the bits together and then flew _very slowly_ back to civilization (such as it was...).

>> I thought ACT was only one way ///
Normally it is. I seem to recall that ACT parameter feedback did appear on the LCDs at the top of the control surface (which, if true, would be a nice enhancement over how ACT works in a standard Sonar 6/7/8 installation).

>> ... all the two way stuff (eg motorised faders, scribble strips etc) - the tight integration - was handled by the driver plugins
It would be pretty hard to do that kind of stuff using a driver in the host PC that is directly controlling fader motors. There are tight servo feedback loops involved in motor control, for one thing. It would make more sense (putting on my design hat) to put some cheap 8-bit micros right in the control surface, to handle faders, servomotors, buttons, LCDs, T-bar, etc. -- and then control them at a high level from the host plugin.

- Jim
gordonrussell76
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1879
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/15 14:29:44 (permalink)
Man this thread cracks me up.

1) The audio input unit i think there is going to be a secondary unit with twice as many ins and no phantom included. Result if that is the case, get that instead.
2) We are all slagging off the USB and the Audio ins saying they are not pro, well okay, what testing are we basing that on, anyone heard them yet, NO, so lets wait and see how it performs shall we, could be they have managed to pull it out the bag, lets give htem the benefit of the doubt eh. Becuase right now this 3 page debate is based on Vapour. Cake could maybe help by doing some recordings and having them availabe for download so people can review, hopefully as we get nearer launch they will.
3) THe control surface is awesome and gives really tight integration with Sonar 8 that has to be a good thing. I would put money on it being avaiable seperately within 6 months of hte all in one solution launch.

4) The all in one solution will make a lot of sense to School snad Universities, and it also will serve as a very cheap way to add a b room to a facility.

I do think they shoudl bring out other flavours of in/out box, for instance I would love to a see a 3x8 ADAT only interface, so that I could connect up some Octepres or a Toft style desk via it. That would be very useful.

YOu cold have hte i/o unit in a rack with an octepre for location recording, come back and then hook it up to your desk for more traditional tracking, there are many options. I am sure Roland will explore them, if they have any sense.

Until then lets keep the speculation and wild imaginings to a minimum eh

G

IndeAct
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/17 15:20:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: UnderTow

I don't see anything that can be achieved by the T-bar that can not be achieved by a joystick. A joystick can achieve at least twice as much. Four joysticks at least 8 times as much. One nice use of the joystick, besides surround panning, is assigning two or more synth controls to the X and Y axis. For instance filter cutoff and resonance.

UnderTow

why not a USB port and have the devices OS support arbitrary Joysticks / control devices?

In fact, isn't that capability already in there with the PC / Sonar and ACT?
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/24 05:40:36 (permalink)
someone mentioned earlier on in this post that they would like to hear some musicmade with the v700...I would second that!

would be nice to hear on the song forums music done with this new equipment. Cake are you up for the challenge?
trock8500
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/24 14:39:56 (permalink)
what they need to do after this, if they really can't split it out, and IF they want to really go after the PT crowd is roll out a control surface only based on the already existing REAC platform.

http://www.rssamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=257

here is your 24 faders system, already made by roland with sonar LE. they need to map the details into it for sonar, have motorized faders etc

drop it in around 5K and undercut the C24 and PT crowd

if they drop a control surface like this one, fully mapped for sonar they will clean up
post edited by trock8500 - 2008/10/24 15:01:17

www.timmallick.com
inhouseproducer
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/24 18:26:53 (permalink)
yeah i bought the mag just to get some more info on the unit. looks real nice, but now i'm thinking the price is a tad bit too high now. i was an avid supporter of this unit and if it was out the time they dropped the news , i would've recieved the serial number 00001 . now i think its a little too fluffy hypey. thinking about what type of needed extras for my studio i could buy with that money is making me think twice.
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/26 22:12:08 (permalink)
I got a look at the real thing on the 23rd when Seth Perlstein was here in Vegas with the Cakewalk Music Production tour.
Very nice unit. The hookup possibilities are quite good. Definitely want-gotta get one.

Craig DuBuc
roc
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/31 00:37:08 (permalink)
Peace
You know, some of you guys have no respect.
If you don't like the V Studio then go drop like 50 grand on a Neve genesys or 26 grand on a ssl and be done with it.
That still don't guaranty you a hit. I think Roland and Cakewalk should be commended for coming together to make a great product like this.
A lot of you guys are used to doing things your way and thats fine be creative and spread your audio across the universe. The ideas are great
Roland and Cakewalk can learn from that.I hope they have some cool things planned for that card slot. You have alot of people starting to get into video as well
so leave The Alderon alone (I think there is also a easy button under it ).So just as we have seen a revolution in home music studios people my begin to do there on music videos (cool). Big studios may be getting nervous about this thing because people won't need them as much. Roland Cakewalk tried to please everyone, some will not want the
Fantom but some will think its cool as hell to get it built in .As for selling the console separate ,time will tell but come on guys this is also about Sonar. They want to
gain Sonar customers so why sell it separate so you can just go and use it with another DAW .So you see, you have to pay respect to what the past gave us (2480 anybody)
but also be a visionary I know you can do it. Just look at what Roland has given us so far.......

bashers pay attention

Roland
Alpha Juno 1
Alpha Juno 2
AX-1
AX-7
Axis
CMU-800
CMU-810
CR-68
CR-78
CR-8000
D-10 / 110
D-20
D-50 / 550
D-70
D2
EG-101
GR-500
GR-700
HS-10
HS-60
JD-800
JD-990
JP-8000
JP-8080
JSQ-60
Juno-106
Juno-6
Juno-60
Juno-D
Juno-G
Juno-Stage
Jupiter 4
Jupiter 6
Jupiter 8
JV-1010
JV-1080
JV-2080
JV-80
JV-880
JV-90
JX-305
JX-3P
JX-8P
JX-10
MC-09
MC-202
MC-300
MC-50
MC-500
MC-80
MC-303
MC-307
MC-505
MC-909
MKS-7
MKS-30
MKS-50
MKS-70
MKS-80
MPG-80
MSQ-700
MT-32
PG-200
PG-300
PG-800
PG-1000
PR-100
ProMars MRS-2
R-70
R-8
RE-201
RS-09
RS-202
RS-505 Paraphonic
S-10
S-220
S-330
S-50
Saturn 09
SH-1
SH-101
SH-1000
SH-2000
SH-2
SH-201
SH-3a
SH-32
SH-5
SH-7
SH-09
SP-808
SVC-350 Vocoder Rack
System 100
System 100m
System 700
TB-303
TR-505
TR-606
TR-626
TR-66
TR-707
TR-727
TR-808
TR-909
U-110
U-20 / 220
V-Synth
VP-330 Vocoder Plus
VP-550
VP-9000
XP-10
XP-30
XP-50
XP-60
XP-80
XV-3080
XV-5050
XV-5080
XV-88
Sonar
and all the VS line and what not. Did I miss anything ?
This is my OPINION and I approve this message.

Peace

dustyeod
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/11/04 11:11:19 (permalink)
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2008/10/03/aes08sf-exclusive-cakewalk-goes-hard-in-a-big-way/

Interesting.... I wouldn't buy one but someone else might. My set up seems to get it all done just fine.

Tommy
2 Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ,2GB DDR2, 1.3TB HDD space, Yamaha MW12, TERRATEC MD88, EURODESK MX9000, 2 Blackface Alesis ADAT 8 tracks, EZ8, Aardvark Q10, FOSTEX 16 Track , TASCAM 388 Studio B 8 track
http://tomhamrick.homestead.com/MobileUnit
ducatibruce2
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/11/04 13:07:28 (permalink)
Something I noticed in the replies to the SonicState item above...

How much do we think the VS400 package will be? http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/58161_l.jpg note the "2xSRX expansions", rack ears & model designation.

I suppose since the pic (dated May 2008) they've moved from a Fantom X to Fantom G as the basis for the incorporated synth ~ which might explain some of the confusing discrepancies in the patch counts mentioned by various Cakebakers & references to "Fantom XR but more advanced".

olerud
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/11/04 16:29:19 (permalink)
I am building a copy of blackbird studio 13. The V 700 will be the turnkey. People are in line waiting for a chance to record. I want to purchase one as soon as possible.

www.soundclick.com/olerud
http://www.broadjam.com./olerud
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/11/07 01:52:42 (permalink)
If I may pile on this thread, I don't think I get it either. The price seems odd, and the components seem odd too. I can't figure out who this bundle would be for (which maybe just means it's not for me).

The control surface? Okay, if it were universal and stand-alone I'd be interested a little. But USB? Sheesh Euphonix has even moved to Cat-5, USB aint' gonna cut it... especially for data and control.

The integrated synth? Uh... I don't get that either. Maybe for a new-user package since it would have all-in-one.... but you need a computer anyway to run S8... why not just include a shedload of virtuals?

And the surface itself... well I haven't touched it so I can't say for sure, but there sure isn't that many assignables on it. The ACT section is what, six knobs? that's not a lot. And then there's the T-Bar... which I suspect is gonna be the "haha" of the thing. Sure, I understand the integration to Edirol's video tools... but it's a little forced. I don't know of anyone who's clamoring for a T-Bar in their control surface... nor who is looking for a way to drive their video decks with their MCU.

I wonder if they have a master plan for all this convergence or they just got a little crazy in the dev room.

I'm hoping that they bring out a dedicated surface on the lower end for existing SONAR users who don't need rack synth or video tools, that I could see having some serious mileage.

The rest? I'm a little fuzzy on.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
aj
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1084
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/11/07 09:18:47 (permalink)
roc, you forgot the MV-30 music production system. This was a complete MIDI synth and sequencer in a single box with faders to allow you to automate the mix etc etc. (i.e a control surface built in). No audio recording, though, just MIDI.

I had one for many years and loved it. In a way, this is the ultimate successor to that machine, thinking about it.....

sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/11/07 14:22:30 (permalink)
I didn't read all the posts, so I may be repeating something here.

But here is my take.

Roland is a hardware company first and foremost. So they sell $6,000 e-drums (that I would LOVE to have. One of these days, hopefully). they sell expensive keyboards and mixers too. They've always have high quality hardware, IMHO. So it seems obvious to me that they where thinking hardware purchasers with this product, rather than software users.

Of course software users will already have an audio card and some hardware synths, mixers, and maybe even a CS (or two).

But for hardware users looking to get into computers, this product is brilliant. You get all the hardware benefits and software benefits combined into one awesome package. Having the integrated fantom synth open up in sonar as a VST (with all the great recall and editing that offers) is also brilliant. The fantom is an awesome synth.

I would LOVE to have this product, as Sonar is my main and preferred DAW. The price is out of reach for me, ATM. But if they need a spokesman or evangelist in exchange for using one....I'd love it.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1