V-700 Studio review in EQ mag

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
2008/10/11 17:08:34 (permalink)

V-700 Studio review in EQ mag

Title sez it all. Craig Anderton gives a brief but illiuminating reveiw.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

91 Replies Related Threads

Treefight
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 868
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/11 21:17:45 (permalink)
    ?

Stuff.
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/11 22:48:33 (permalink)
    This is a serious control surface. I hope to acquire one for my classroom before the Fall 2009 semester.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

AT
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/12 00:07:03 (permalink)
    Tree,

there is a short reveiw of the V700 hardware in the latest EQ - it just came today. Thought I'd pass it on.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/12 12:27:37 (permalink)
    I saw the brief review in EQ. Craig seems to do about everything in that magazine (and a lot elsewhere). I often wonder how does he do everything he does?

As for the V-700, I am considering upgrading my control surface and a/d d/a chain this year, but I find the V-700 a bit odd in some ways. First I think Roland would be wise to break off the control surface as a seperate product with an upgrade path to the full two-unit combination. The entry price is too high for many potential customers, especially those that Sonar has traditionally attracted. A stepped purchase approach (control surface now, and audio interface later) might gain them more customers early on. I also believe that this would allow those who want a more industry-accepted, serious signal chain with discrete pre's and high-option coversion to find other solutions, and still benefit from the control surface's integration with Sonar. This might attract the more serious studio markets where Sonar has had difficulty gaining a foothold. If you're in the $4k list neighborhood, there are a large number of attractive alternatives in the marketplace.

I also think the embedded hardware synth should be an option rather than a bundled item. Many people that do in-the-box recording are pretty much sold on soft-synths anyway, and will find limited value in the hardware synth. I'm guessing that Roland wanted to play to their strength with the hardware synth (and I'm sure it's a great unit). But I think the hardware synth makes the whole thing appear a bit klugey and awkward. It also makes it hard for a salesman to describe, and the customer to classify when comparing this unit to the competition. If they are pitching this as a studio in a box solution, where is the controller keyboard?

I think Roland/Cakewalk are at a decision point. Do they try to appeal only to the users that were their previous customers for the Roland VS recorder series? Do they try to break through to the pro studios by going head to head with Protools? Do they try to compete in both areas? The problem is that the V-700 is a bit ambiguous in the message it is sending. The list price, and all-in-one packaging sort of drive it toward the mid to high range market where Roland has no reputation for stellar signal chain or conversion options one might consider at this price. The low end market will look for much less expensive options (which Roland already offers via their own subsidiaries). Although I'm looking forward to what the fruition of what the Roland/Cakewalk partnership will eventually deliver, I don't look for this product to do much more than confuse the already crowded marketplace. Hopefully it won't distract from the hard work that Cakewalk has put into Sonar, and will allow resources there to continue to improve a fine product.
    cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/12 12:37:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: feedback50

I think Roland/Cakewalk are at a decision point. Do they try to appeal only to the users that were their previous customers for the Roland VS recorder series? Do they try to break through to the pro studios by going head to head with Protools? Do they try to compete in both areas?

I think we will surely see Cakewalk attempt to compete on more than one level. I think this time they simply wanted to start from the top end of the Market. That is an area they really want to break into.
    AT
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/12 13:39:15 (permalink)
    Anderton describes the conversion and preamps as very good, and makes a big deal that the preamps are digitally controlled - you can even make volume presets for vox, then switch to drums at the touch of a buttom. Tho I agree that a modular approach is best, as far as the convertors/preamps most mid-priced stuff is very usuable and as good as the high-end stuff available a few years ago. Roland/Cake also have line inputs as well as the preamps so you can use your own, as well as lots of digital in/outs for a lot of high-end convertors to plug into. We'll just have to wait and see.

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/12 13:53:07 (permalink)
    As soon as I can hear some tracks done off those preamps and converters, I will have the data I need to determine if this is the route for me. Who wants to buy one and create some samples for the rest of us?

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    aj
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1084
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/12 15:35:05 (permalink)
    I can see the logic of what they did. It's one combination of hardware to support meaning it can be tested thoroughly and made to be rock-solid. If you assume the market is (a) the slightly more well-heeled home studio owner (b) educational establishments and (c) small video/film producers, a real benefit here is that for the latter two, projects using only Sonar's inbuilt plugs plus the Roland synth are completely interchangeable across organisations. This makes a lot of sense and also allows quite a lot of work to be offloaded onto the Fantom so that users with perhaps a laptop as the DAW aren't too stretched even on complex projects.

Also with a solid flightcase this is small enough to be giggable for live music, with enough I/O to capture band recordings as well as giving the keyboard player a dedicated hardware synth. You are replacing your recording gear, your small mixer and all that with one of these. If you are doing live music to backing tracks, this is the ultimate setup for a very reasonable price. No, I think this was a very well-thought-out idea and I am certainly keen to purchase one.
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 07:13:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cmusicmaker

I think Roland/Cakewalk are at a decision point. Do they try to appeal only to the users that were their previous customers for the Roland VS recorder series? Do they try to break through to the pro studios by going head to head with Protools? Do they try to compete in both areas?

I think we will surely see Cakewalk attempt to compete on more than one level. I think this time they simply wanted to start from the top end of the Market. That is an area they really want to break into.

Unfortunately this product makes no sense in the top end of the market. IMO no professional studio is going to consider this product. An audio interface with a mandatory built in hardware synth? No way. Roland pre-amps and converters? No way. (This has nothing to do with their actual quality. It has to do with brand perception). A non-modular system? No way. The T-bar? Come on...

The built in hardware synth really doesn't make much sense to me. It has all the disadvantages of hardware: Cost, limited upgrade path, limited RAM and processing power, limited supported sample sets, no or limited modularity etc etc. It also has all the disadvantages of software synths: No dedicated tactile controls, no easy portability (for a live gig) and as feedback50 pointed out, where is the controller keyboard?

The control surface on itself looks very interesting (minus the T-bar ). The rest looks uninteresting, hikes up the price and IMO will prevent both the top-end AND the low-end (due to cost) of the market from purchasing this product.

Unless Cakewalk and Roland split out the elements before it hits the market, I believe this product will not have the success that Cakewalk and Roland hope for.

If I was responsible for this product line, I would make it modular, replace the T-bar by a fully assignable joystick (Or two or even four! as there seems to be space), add another ADAT port to the audio interface, add serial 9-pin (even if not supported by Sonar in the initial release!), offer a converter only option (no pre-amps) and probably even a digital I/O only option. I would probably ditch the synth entirely and instead offer a "TI" (total integration) version of the Fantom with a real keyboard and knobs.

UnderTow
    Wiz
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 07:24:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: UnderTow

ORIGINAL: cmusicmaker

Unfortunately this product makes no sense in the top end of the market. IMO no professional studio is going to consider this product. An audio interface with a mandatory built in hardware synth? No way. Roland pre-amps and converters? No way. (This has nothing to do with their actual quality. It has to do with brand perception). A non-modular system? No way. The T-bar? Come on...

The built in hardware synth really doesn't make much sense to me. It has all the disadvantages of hardware: Cost, limited upgrade path, limited RAM and processing power, limited supported sample sets, no or limited modularity etc etc. It also has all the disadvantages of software synths: No dedicated tactile controls, no easy portability (for a live gig) and as feedback50 pointed out, where is the controller keyboard?

The control surface on itself looks very interesting (minus the T-bar ). The rest looks uninteresting, hikes up the price and IMO will prevent both the top-end AND the low-end (due to cost) of the market from purchasing this product.

Unless Cakewalk and Roland split out the elements before it hits the market, I believe this product will not have the success that Cakewalk and Roland hope for.

If I was responsible for this product line, I would make it modular, replace the T-bar by a fully assignable joystick (Or two or even four! as there seems to be space), add another ADAT port to the audio interface, add serial 9-pin (even if not supported by Sonar in the initial release!), offer a converter only option (no pre-amps) and probably even a digital I/O only option. I would probably ditch the synth entirely and instead offer a "TI" (total integration) version of the Fantom with a real keyboard and knobs.

UnderTow

I cant fault your logic.........

cheers

Wiz

Wiz's Album "Forty Years" done with Sonar 7!

http://www.ozlandmusic.com/ozlandstudios/Preview_music.html

Wiz On Itunes
    UnderTow
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 07:50:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aj

I can see the logic of what they did. It's one combination of hardware to support meaning it can be tested thoroughly and made to be rock-solid.

Modularity would not affect the stability or support. Roland/Cakewalk are seriously limiting the market potential by offering it as a single product.

If you assume the market is (a) the slightly more well-heeled home studio owner (b) educational establishments and (c) small video/film producers, a real benefit here is that for the latter two, projects using only Sonar's inbuilt plugs plus the Roland synth are completely interchangeable across organisations. This makes a lot of sense and also allows quite a lot of work to be offloaded onto the Fantom so that users with perhaps a laptop as the DAW aren't too stretched even on complex projects.

I'm not convinced that laptop users would go for this product but I could be wrong of course.

Small video/film producers are much more likely to go for Avid Media Composer or Final Cut Pro. (Or whatever else is on the market. These are the only two I see in the professional arena here in Europe).

I am absolutely not convinced of the argument of "offloading to the Fantom". Investing the equivalent in the laptop/desktop makes much more sense and gives one a much wider choice of synths/samplers/sounds. Actually, I will just state bluntly that it is a completely invalid argument.

Also with a solid flightcase this is small enough to be giggable for live music, with enough I/O to capture band recordings as well as giving the keyboard player a dedicated hardware synth.

It doesn't give the keyboard player a dedicated hardware synth. There are no dedicated controls and no keyboard. Unless the keyboard player is supposed to have the entire system for him/herself with a computer/laptop screen just to play keys, it isn't going to be fun having no tactile and visual feedback from the hardware synth.

For band recording, no control surface is needed. For FOH duties, I don't believe this system is the best solution out there (by a very long shot).

You are replacing your recording gear, your small mixer and all that with one of these. If you are doing live music to backing tracks, this is the ultimate setup for a very reasonable price. No, I think this was a very well-thought-out idea and I am certainly keen to purchase one.

There is nothing ultimate about this setup for doing live music to backing tracks . There are much better solutions. (Even a simple dual tray CD player and DJ mixer is more practical).

There are a few aspects to consider:

Mixing the pre-existing tracks. This should not really be necessary. It can all be done before hand. I can imagine a tiny niche market where there is a dedicated person doing track fader gain riding and/or muting. In this case there is stability and the project load times to consider.

Mixing the live tracks: There are not enough faders to do proper FOH work. Especially if you start considering close mic-ed drum kits etc. Adding processing (in Sonar) will add stability and latency issues. I haven't seen mention of direct-monitoring (but I might have just missed it) and even if there is, you loose a lot of outputs for playback of pre-recorded material.

IMO, this product really is not well thought. It needs to be modularised to reach its true potential.

UnderTow
    inhouseproducer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 10:01:41 (permalink)
    I believe they are targeting new professionals and industry vets who need an affordable B room. Also learning institutes can benefit from a package like the Vs700. For live use I would use a Presonus Studio Live.
    post edited by inhouseproducer - 2008/10/13 10:05:16

Using Roland Is A Cakewalk!!
    Grammy Mixed Free Album: Mixed By Ken Lewis, Ryan West and Ben Arrindale. Mastered by Andy Krehm http://www.datpiff.com/Baynes-Baynes-Out-Of-The-Abyss-mixtape.238606.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2HArHbWf6Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 10:30:33 (permalink)
    Do not mock the Alderon

WHats wrogn witha T-Bar struck me as a pretty cool addition that I can already think of uses for.

If your that hung up on people perception of you, I think you need a shrink not a joystick :)

G
    UnderTow
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 11:10:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gordonrussell76

Do not mock the Alderon

WHats wrogn witha T-Bar struck me as a pretty cool addition that I can already think of uses for.

If your that hung up on people perception of you, I think you need a shrink not a joystick :)

G

I guess that was in response to my post, right? Please excuse me if I missed anyone else commenting on the T-bar.

What does this have anything to do with people's perception of me? I am criticising a product for what IMO is bad usage of available space AND people's perception of the product. I guess they added it because a decade ago you would still see these things on video mixers. (And might still be used on live video mixers although usually joysticks are used these days). The only place I have seen it in a audio&video post house in the last decade is on a piece of equipment behind glass in the museum section of a facility.

I don't see anything that can be achieved by the T-bar that can not be achieved by a joystick. A joystick can achieve at least twice as much. Four joysticks at least 8 times as much. One nice use of the joystick, besides surround panning, is assigning two or more synth controls to the X and Y axis. For instance filter cutoff and resonance.

UnderTow
    Sylvan
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 793
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 11:16:38 (permalink)
    Damn,

Does UnderTow have a personal grudge against Cakewalk? It seems nothing, and I mean nothing Cakewalk does is to his satisfaction. I can understand making a few feature suggestions, but you always seem to come accross with a condescending bitterness or something. If Cakewalk is such a thorn in your side with no hope of ever meeting your personal expectations, why not just forget about it and stay with whatever you are using?

I am not trying to stir you up or anything, I truly wonder. It is not good to always critisize at every possible opportunity. Suggestions are great, but try and lighten up just a bit. Cakewalk products are not perfect, no ones products are perfect in every detal. Cakewalk products are pretty damn good and have matured very well. They will continue to improve as time moves on. I am sure that these guys, the "Bakers" feel a certain measure of pride when releasing a new product and would be very open to contructive critisizm in efforts to improve future versions. However constant attacks and condescending comparisons to what you feel are superior products is probably not what will inspire the Bakers and/or Roland to keep up the great work. When you target a company's personal pride instead of making helpful suggestions, no productive progress will burst forth from that.

Just one man's opinion, nothing more.

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
    Asus X99-AII
    Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 11:36:27 (permalink)
    I've said it before on another thread and others are basically saying the same thing. Selling the control surface separately at kickoff would probably (depending on price) make the VS-700 a success. Simply because there are so many here that would love an integrated control surface dedicated to Sonar.

In an economic environment we are in, I would doubt there are many existing Sonar users that will say $4K (even with a successful studio) makes a lot of sense right now. However, creating modular products that can be priced more affordably would be considered.

Tom
    RichardHK
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 11:45:15 (permalink)
    >Unfortunately this product makes no sense in the top end of the market. IMO no professional studio is going to consider this product. An audio interface with a mandatory built in hardware synth? No way. Roland pre-amps and converters? No way. (This has nothing to do with their actual quality. It has to do with brand perception). A non-modular system? No way. The T-bar? Come on...<

Given that 'professional studios' have been happening in bedrooms and such for some years now, I believe this product does make sense to many people. A rock-solid in-the-box studio with V-700 and midi keyboard or workstation (IF needed) is all many folks are gonna need to make lotsa money. And they can truck it around too. Yep, makes a lot of sense to me. Roland (now with Cakewalk) are creating the future, again. :)
    post edited by RichardHK - 2008/10/13 11:50:08

Richard, Hong Kong
    Sonar 8.5PE, EWQLSO, SC, RA & Goliath, GPO4, and Omnisphere.
    http://richardentwistle.com/

Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 11:53:32 (permalink)
    According to my latest E edition of Keyboard Mag (not teh free one), there is a little review of the V-Studio 700 that states the LIST price is 4995 and street is 3995. I remember reading some specualtion that the list was 4K and street would be 3200 or so ....

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

UnderTow
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 11:54:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Damn,

Does UnderTow have a personal grudge against Cakewalk? It seems nothing, and I mean nothing Cakewalk does is to his satisfaction. I can understand making a few feature suggestions, but you always seem to come accross with a condescending bitterness or something. If Cakewalk is such a thorn in your side with no hope of ever meeting your personal expectations, why not just forget about it and stay with whatever you are using?

I am not trying to stir you up or anything, I truly wonder. It is not good to always critisize at every possible opportunity. Suggestions are great, but try and lighten up just a bit. Cakewalk products are not perfect, no ones products are perfect in every detal. Cakewalk products are pretty damn good and have matured very well. They will continue to improve as time moves on. I am sure that these guys, the "Bakers" feel a certain measure of pride when releasing a new product and would be very open to contructive critisizm in efforts to improve future versions. However constant attacks and condescending comparisons to what you feel are superior products is probably not what will inspire the Bakers and/or Roland to keep up the great work. When you target a company's personal pride instead of making helpful suggestions, no productive progress will burst forth from that.

The thing is I DO use Sonar and I was very enthusiastic at the first reports on the V-700 offering. (Just as I was and still am enthusiastic about the content of Noel's post on the work done under the hood for Sonar 8). I just got very disappointed when I discovered that it will be an all or nothing offering. So then I start thinking about all the reasons I was disappointed and in the process find other things that to me don't make sense.

Then I get worried that as often can be the case, if the initial release of the product doesn't have the success that Roland and Cakewalk are hoping for, the product line might not be continued when in reality, only a few easily addressable issues are prohibiting commercial success.

But your points are well taken. I am not always the most subtle communicator. I tend to post during small breaks while doing other things and in my rush don't consider the way my posts might be taken. And right now my frustrations doing some post work in Sonar (I usually use it for music production) are seeping through into my posts in large dosages.

I will try to be more positive and considerate while posting on-line. Thanks for the reminder.

UnderTow

dappa1
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2949
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 12:30:32 (permalink)
    I am sure there will be an upgrade path to those on sonar 8 already!

I think it takes a strain of the computer and looks quite good seems flexible and to be honest you know the music that brandon does while reviewing the 700 sounds very good.

Iwould say the converters are excellent on them.
    Sylvan
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 13:18:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: UnderTow

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Damn,

The thing is I DO use Sonar and I was very enthusiastic at the first reports on the V-700 offering. (Just as I was and still am enthusiastic about the content of Noel's post on the work done under the hood for Sonar 8). I just got very disappointed when I discovered that it will be an all or nothing offering. So then I start thinking about all the reasons I was disappointed and in the process find other things that to me don't make sense.

Then I get worried that as often can be the case, if the initial release of the product doesn't have the success that Roland and Cakewalk are hoping for, the product line might not be continued when in reality, only a few easily addressable issues are prohibiting commercial success.

But your points are well taken. I am not always the most subtle communicator. I tend to post during small breaks while doing other things and in my rush don't consider the way my posts might be taken. And right now my frustrations doing some post work in Sonar (I usually use it for music production) are seeping through into my posts in large dosages.

I will try to be more positive and considerate while posting on-line. Thanks for the reminder.

UnderTow

Thanks. Your response was very cool and calm. I am glad you were not offended and I hope I did not come accross the wrong way. After reading your message I realize you are not such a bad guy...ha ha ha

I have had a couple of issues with SONAR 8 myself and I have posted about it. I was not lucky enough to get any of the Bakers to respond though. I submitted a bug report about it. It was the meters in Console View will not accept any changes. Also, when slip editing clips in a group, if you are zoomed in too far, you can only edit one clip at a time instead of the whole group. It is a bit of a frustrating pain, but I am trying to be cool about it all. SONAR is a great product and I love it. But I sometimes have problems too, I just try and handle them in a constructive way. I guess I hope that my positive approach the the problems I have will help them get fixed sooner...ha ha ha.

Have a great day,
    -Charles

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Asus X99-AII
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    UnderTow
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 13:19:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RichardHK

Given that 'professional studios' have been happening in bedrooms and such for some years now, I believe this product does make sense to many people. A rock-solid in-the-box studio with V-700 and midi keyboard or workstation (IF needed) is all many folks are gonna need to make lotsa money. And they can truck it around too. Yep, makes a lot of sense to me. Roland (now with Cakewalk) are creating the future, again. :)

I agree that things have changed vastly over the last decade and that many successful artists start off in their bedrooms/living rooms. That said, my points in that paragraph were about the "top end of the market" specifically. In my view that does not include bedroom studios.

Still, these studios don't need to be physically large and could be located in a small room in one's house. It is about a professional, neat and efficient environment and look that usually comes as a result of a professional, neat and efficient mindset. This mindset is really what I am referring to and IMO the lack of modularity (and the T-bar ;) ) don't quite fit in that mindset and IMO needlessly limit the potential market. If anything, the size of the studio and budget limitations are arguments in favour of modularity.

It seems to me that the V-700 is targeted at customers that would previously have gone for an all in one hardware/mixer solution. That is fine but I don't see why the potential market should not be increased by offering the different parts separately. (And it makes much more sense to design them separately then to have to separate them at a later stage).

Dappa1, yes Cakewalk have already announced a rebate for Sonar 8 owners.

UnderTow
    Sylvan
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 13:24:50 (permalink)
    I absolutely agree that the V-Studio 700 should be available as seperate units. I am sure Cake and Roland have thought about this and realize they must offer it seperately.

As it stands, I will not purchase it. If seperate units were offered, I would buy the control surface for sure. I want to keep using my RME FireFace 800.

I can only imagine they are working on a way to release them seperate, they have to I think.

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Asus X99-AII
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    ducatibruce2
    • Total Posts : 557
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 22:44:38 (permalink)
    Various bakers have said (quite emphatically) that it won't be offered as individual components. In one of the videos Brandon (I think) mentioned that the cable from the surface to the I/O-Synth box is proprietory. I think it's actually a case of it can't be split.

My totally unfounded speculation/guess is that the V Studio is a re-engineered Fantom G, they're removed the keyboard & screen, split off & expanded the control surface elements & used one of the ARX channels to expand the G's I/O capabilities. But it's just a guess.

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
    With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
    No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/13 23:06:50 (permalink)
    Undertow,

I don't always agree with you, but this time I think you are 100% dead-on. I smell a huge disaster. I want to get excited about the v700 and think ....$4000 for slightly better control and locked into Fantom sounds?....Yikes....how quick are those sounds going to be outdated? How long before the Fantom becomes a Yamaha DX7? I got into Sonar because it was cheap and easy.
    post edited by Jimbo 88 - 2008/10/13 23:10:23
    AT
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 00:18:31 (permalink)
    Two points.

One, Cake has intimated that they aren't splitting their baby - yet. Doesn't mean they won't in the future. I think (saw a bunch of the videos in 24 hours and can't keep it all stright) one of the bakers talked about using the audio interface solo. And there was a 360 degree picture of the controller that showed several outs on the backside of same. After I mention the "other" outputs the view has disappeared. Those that believe in conspiracies believe. Even if it was a prototype flaw, it shouldn't be rocket science to make a stand alone unit.

Two: It was also said that the V-700 was part of a series. Roland no doubt knows how to spin stuff off. Release a complete system first, tho.

It actually looks like a nice package, tho if I had really good convertors here at home I would think it looks less nice. I don't mind the T-bar and it looks to be a no brainer for fading aero in and out. But nobody has mention whether the joystick is assignable.

Finally, why can't someone incorporate a touchpad on their controller to work instead of the mouse? Next to a touchscreen, that would seem the optimum way to keep your hands glued to the controller.

ducatibruce2
    • Total Posts : 557
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 01:41:54 (permalink)
    It isnt a 360 but there's hi res pics here http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/exclusive-cakewalk-and-roland-launch-v-studio-700-176068 including a top down of the surface showing names for connnectors, though not the actual connectors. And detailed front & rears for the IO.

There is a USB shown on the surface, but the Fantom Gs have seperate USB connections for memory stick, mouse & PC connection - so no real clue there. A detailed rear view might help clarify what its for.

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
    With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
    No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
    UnderTow
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 05:43:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ducatibruce2
    My totally unfounded speculation/guess is that the V Studio is a re-engineered Fantom G, they're removed the keyboard & screen, split off & expanded the control surface elements & used one of the ARX channels to expand the G's I/O capabilities. But it's just a guess.

Interesting idea. That would explain the non-modularity of the product.

UnderTow
    gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: V-700 Studio review in EQ mag 2008/10/14 08:53:55 (permalink)
    UNdertow

My post was toungue in cheek and not meant to be offensive, British humour can be quite biting, but believe me its not meant to be insulting, its just the way we are.

I guess what I was getting at is that while your points about Joysticks is totally valid, sometimes its nice to have a wow factor on a piece of gear, somethign that yes makes no sense, but somehow just has that Whoaaa thats cool. I don't expect you to dig the T-bar, but understand a lot of people will like it.

It also frustrated me that somehow a T-Bar just becuase its a little flashy somehow makes the desk unprofessional, I am sick of this whole pro vs amatuer thing being based on the gear you use. Its totally negative to creativity, and reality, and smacks ever so slightly of the elitism that I used to resent when I was first learning to play music.

So while you don't like it for a practival reason, thats fair, not liking it becuase its no professional, that subjective and a little bit silly.

Oh and on the practical level I really like the idea of this thing as an act control, yes a Joystick would allow similar, but the smooth travel of this thing for filter sweeps and other types of effect automation I am sure will be pretty useful in many situations.

So in conclusion, do not mock the Alderon, unless you want Vader to pay you a visit.

G
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1