V-700R - Windows audio output as input to Sonar

Author
cdickey
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2009/04/02 16:55:07 (permalink)

V-700R - Windows audio output as input to Sonar

With the EMU 1820M mixer I was able to route Windows audio output to an ASIO channel so it could be used as input to Sonar. That enabled me to record directly off of a music CD into Sonar.

In the EMU Patchmix mixer, Windows audio output showed up as an explicit audio channel along with the ASIO channel's. I could add a send from that channel to an ASIO input channel.

This doesn't seem possible with the V-700R mixer. There is no explicit Windows audio output channel. Yes, I have Windows audio mapped to V-700R SUB in control panel Sounds. That lets me hear the music CD but I can't send audio from V-700R SUB back into an input that Sonar can use.

This was a useful convenience feature. I could record any audio that Windows was producing directly into Sonar to analyze it. This would also enable Sonar to record a stand-alone music instrument playing in Windows or audio from the Internet.

One detail: The Windows audio output mapping could show up in the mixer with the Windows Control panel connection to SUB showing up. There would need to be an option to mute the output to SUB. In EMU PatchMix I would add the SEND to an ASIO input from the Windows audio output. I would also mute the output of the channels connection to the output bus. In that way there would not be a feedback path when I was recording Windows output using an ASIO input in Sonar.

Here is how I think it might need to be done. V-700R could have an output channel named "DAW output" whose output is sent to either another V-700R output or a V-700R input. In Windows Control Panel Sounds you would make "V-700R DAW output" the default output device.

EMU did it, I am sure Roland can do it.

After this long winded discussion, maybe somebody from Cakewalk will tell me that I can already do this with the current V-700R software. I may have missed the option.

post edited by cdickey - 2009/04/02 17:22:04

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1