VS 700 dedicated connection cable

Author
moness
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2017/01/27 15:28:13 (permalink)

VS 700 dedicated connection cable

Hi - first post here and needing some help.
I am looking for the cable that connects the V700R to V700C.  I tried Roland UK as a source but have heard nothing back from them after a week.  So I just managed to source some MDR connectors that plug in to each unit in an attempt to make up my own cable.
Problem is I have no idea what pins connect to where at each end.  Does anybody have this information or be kind enough to 'buzz' out their own cable and tell me what the result is?
I bought the kit at a reasonable price but not so reasonable that I would want to connect stuff up willy-nilly, risking an introduction to the magic smoke pixies.
Any help or pointers would be gladly appreciated.
Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: VS 700 dedicated connection cable 2017/01/28 14:04:03 (permalink)
    I think you would be extremely lucky to get one of the original cables. Solering your own is trial and error with the possibility that you break both units ...

However, you could save yourself a lot of headache if you connect both units (VS-700C and VS-700R) to the PC via USB (you only need to flip a dip switch on the VS-700 to make it work via USB).

You will get identical functionality - apart from the headphone outs and the AUX in on the VS-700C, which don't work via USB (I assume these are directly wired through the vs-700 dedicated connection cable).

I actually use my units both hooked up via USB, so I can use the VS-700C also with other audio interfaces ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    moness
    Re: VS 700 dedicated connection cable 2017/01/28 18:33:08 (permalink)
    Hi Rob, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The MDR connectors I have look extremely easy to wire up as they are an insulation displacement connection.  I think I will still attempt my own cable if a pin-out ever comes to light.

I wasn't aware you could run both V700R and V700C from USB.  My efforts so far with drivers in Win7 and Sonar Platinum were not fruitful.  So much so I am reverting to X3 to give that a whirl as I type.  What setup are you using?

I take it SW1 on the rear of the V700C needs to be set (to prevent the "Connecting I/O ..." message) but does the 'Standalone' V700C driver need to be installed also?  I am still trying to find the correct drivers and order to install things in!

Thanks
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: VS 700 dedicated connection cable 2017/01/29 02:29:02 (permalink)
    moness
    Hi Rob, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The MDR connectors I have look extremely easy to wire up as they are an insulation displacement connection.  I think I will still attempt my own cable if a pin-out ever comes to light.

I wasn't aware you could run both V700R and V700C from USB.  My efforts so far with drivers in Win7 and Sonar Platinum were not fruitful.  So much so I am reverting to X3 to give that a whirl as I type.  What setup are you using?

I take it SW1 on the rear of the V700C needs to be set (to prevent the "Connecting I/O ..." message) but does the 'Standalone' V700C driver need to be installed also?  I am still trying to find the correct drivers and order to install things in!

Thanks

I'm using Sonar Platinum 2016.12 and win10 pro (for which you need the driver hack from another thread to get it installed).

I have both units connected via USB, all works fine (except as mentioned HP out and AUX in on the VS-700C).

In terms of drivers you only need the VS-700R driver in case you go with the proprietary Roland cable; of course, with both units hooked up via USB you need to have both drivers installed.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    moness
    Re: VS 700 dedicated connection cable 2017/02/04 07:39:24 (permalink)
    Progress !

Using a fresh install of X3, I think I managed to include all the V700 features needed and I have the console lit up and working as the proper control surface it should be.

The reason I thought you could not connect the console and IO, each with their own usb cable, was because the V700R would drop its USB connection whenever the V700C usb was plugged in.  The answer it turns out is to move around your computer trying different combinations of usb ports.  I eventually hit upon two ports that would connect both V700 units simultaneously.  Maybe the units need to connect through different motherboard usb controllers.

Also I managed to obtain a proper Roland connection cable for the units.  A seller on e-Bay called "rhythm_active" has a few left.  Based in Australia, he managed to find the last stock on that continent.  He tells me he may keep hold of some for the V700C and V700R units he has for sale.  Just look up "Roland 05120490 cable" to find him.

Anyhoo, as I now have a working setup, I'm looking into upgrades to Platinum and Windows 10 now as these are well covered in the Forums.  Thanks again Rob for the assistance - got there in the end!

Gerry
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1