Helpful ReplyVS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW

Author
bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
2013/09/08 03:36:18 (permalink)

VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW

HI All,
I realized ONLY today I posted THIS thread in the Wrong forum of "Interfaces and MIDI products",instead of THIS one arrghh-sorry

I have a VS-100 that performs quite well so far,almost never suffer dropouts[unless trying to "push it past it's intended capability, it's always recognized, though only goes to 96KHz,but I hardly use it above 48KHz,so no real problem,I currently only use it as a USB 2.0 Interface after wasting hundreds,and hundreds, on "buss powered" interfaces that "just DO-NOT cut it"for mine or anyone's stuff IMO,now THAT the VS-100 unit is roughly 4 years old-[USB 2.0 was still very new back then- for Audio[NOT "Audiophile"] so Iv'e tried to research it, also I don't really want a control surface with just ONE fader ATM,and yes I got it at a fairly[very for Oz!] & decently cheap price used,though in perfect cond.,also they're not exactly "cutting edge" technology anymore for the home recordist,as I just sort of attempted explained[though in Australia they're nearly ALL still around $699!],some are $599AUD[$568.15 USD], New but no cheaper NEW AFAIK[?]-though I haven't checked everywhere,I don't need to!]:-)

What I REALLY want to know is "what make/model AD DA chips are" in this machine? I can't seem to find this information anywhere!,even though "geekslutz"at gearslutz does have a listing for the UA25-EX[which I still also happen to own],and in ALL honesty,a comparison from most RME devices[ fairly colored IMO,but awesome drivers on USB] up to LYNX etc[high end-and as transparent as seemingly possible]what or how decent is the conversion[and mic pre's?] of the VS-100 as considered,by a Pro Audio Mixing  Engineer/Mastering Engineer/Producer compare to what you perhaps own or use in "High End" studios?

I do realize it's a kind of odd question,for someone used to ultra professional hardware but...

I honestly think the conversion seems ok,[as well as the "mic pre's"] however surprise surprise, I just cannot get above a certain level of fidelity(ALL Perfectly Explained Recently by Jim Roseberry...of course,Thanks Jim!] with my recordings!,and yes I know a TON OF THE REASON [maybe more?] CERTAINLY could/would be to do with my lacking the much needed SKILLSET [yet][?],but maybe just maybe it's ALSO to do with HW AD/DA,and also monitoring HW Limitations?

a NEW revision Driver for the VS-100(W7 H.p/Pro only would  be great,though if you can simultaneously do Win8 also of course go for it)  of 2009! Please!
Thank You Bro's heh,but seriously now!
cheers
Bob
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2013/09/21 17:02:51

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
bobguitkillerleft
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/09 10:25:38 (permalink)
Bumpity Bump Bump
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2013/09/11 10:06:37

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
gcolbert
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1176
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/15 19:44:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bobguitkillerleft 2013/09/18 16:03:04
sorry Bob.  I read your post and I don't have a clue what you are rambling on about.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/17 16:28:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bobguitkillerleft 2013/09/23 18:41:03
Bob I see that you've had some questions about the AD DA converters in to VS100. I'm  not sure, but I do believe I have seen others say that they are the same converters that are in the VS700. And so are the mic pre's. So by looking for info on the 700 you might find the answers your after.

[edit] And I have played many a nights after nights right next to a hard hitting drummer with his cymbals at my ear level. I knew something then was wrong, but just played on. I should have wore ear protection. I can still hear the cymbals!!

And we don't choose our family, but we do have to live with them. Sometimes with unfortunate and unwanted results! [/edit]
post edited by Grem - 2013/09/17 16:32:35

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/18 06:29:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bobguitkillerleft 2013/09/18 16:16:34
Bob,  I also can't answer your question, however, I have had no problems with the chips.  Also, the mic preamps are rock solid.  The big bonus is that you can interface the VS 100 with any of Roland's USB Capture devices (octa, studio or quad) by using the digital in and outs of both units for needed mic preamps.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
bobguitkillerleft
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/18 16:03:57 (permalink)
gcolbert
sorry Bob.  I read your post and I don't have a clue what you are rambling on about.

Extremely Funny answer,[though I was,as is very usual-typing with my left hand index figer whis't also smok,and am also Sorry I was So Confusing],um for ME also NOW[to...] unfortunately!

I found out on a Monday Night here,that "That a Band"[certain members only]+ many others?[ 1 Fan website? ha ha ha] have continued the "TOTAL and UTTER BS" of my NON Participation In "That Tour",In Fact The Guy I Replaced is THE ONLY Guitar Player,For THAT Period that EVER gets Mentioned!! utterly ridiculous!

as..de dee do nnnnn    ottt wannnt toooo kmowww pppppeea Pl with p B rain's[in That Directi?] AnymmmmoreOK!
Thank You ALL !who generously answered,and any who I unfortunately may have wasted their time[trying to read/understand my original?, posting's n rant's  es "Oh Swee Ch... O"] the meaning's etc Cheers!
Bob
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2013/09/21 17:44:01

bobguitkillerleft
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/18 17:32:51 (permalink)
FCCfirstclass
Bob,  I also can't answer your question, however, I have had no problems with the chips.  Also, the mic preamps are rock solid.  The big bonus is that you can interface the VS 100 with any of Roland's USB Capture devices (octa, studio or quad) by using the digital in and outs of both units for needed mic preamps.

Good Answer! Thanks! VERY MUCH! Especially about the Conversion ,and Pres! the 
digital out's and their possibilities is "something Iv'e yet to properly GET Into though,but again COOL Answer!

I AM "Obviously" a Home Recordist"........................... NO CLIENT's..I couldn't even imagine that!.........YET!

[stil only just a Guitar Player Still[sort of[?]-trying and then learning computers/DAW's SONAR( So Late In Life Is a Shame....(means I HAVE NOT PLAYED ANY of my 3(only 1 is sorta ok :/ )for a couple months now AT Least!!.......BIG DEAL AT THAT TIME,when only REALLY had 1,than 2[junk,but I managed to put a SD JB,Thanks JK!.

So What Huh? No One give's  a "Monkeys Uncle" especially about pea brained attitudes that reacted to stuff that happened so long ago now.....especially me ,but NO I'm Still Not allowed to be credited....totally hmm!Hah

[Bad Doggie Bad!Bad! n Mad! AS A CUT SNAKE......Still am sota ATT ATM!]

Who Care's anyway? No big deal,glad to away from people/attitudes like that,some of it-Them actually maybe a kind of pre blah blah blah  paranoia?.......WHO REALLY KNOW's?
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2013/09/27 05:49:47

bobguitkillerleft
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/19 15:35:54 (permalink)
Grem
Bob I see that you've had some questions about the AD DA converters in to VS100. I'm  not sure, but I do believe I have seen others say that they are the same converters that are in the VS700. And so are the mic pre's. So by looking for info on the 700 you might find the answers your after.

[edit] And I have played many a nights after nights right next to a hard hitting drummer with his cymbals at my ear level. I knew something then was wrong, but just played on. I should have wore ear protection. I can still hear the cymbals!!

And we don't choose our family, but we do have to live with them. Sometimes with unfortunate and unwanted results! [/edit]

Cheers Grem,Excellent answer like the others,though how LOUD are your"can still hear the cymbals"?
No REAL need to answer,due to now obvious reasons NOW,Thanks!

PS to ANY or ALL I may have typed/written last few years /days/weeks?
 "Robert k  Sattler" assumes no responsibility with regard to anything written by him or other's,be aware this is a notice to Anyone who takes offence,and pursues further action.
Robert Sattler.

Cheers to fellow cakewalkers,users of SONAR!
Bob
PPS: =\ .[hope it's all ok to put THIS here[Grem? Cakewalk mod's?],as I do not anticipate,nor really need more info now,others may though YOU KNOW? so? Anyway to "all" whom especially those that actually answered THANK YOU.
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2013/09/21 11:51:30

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/21 11:41:43 (permalink)
bobguitkillerleft

Anyway to "all" whom especially answered THANK YOU.

Your more than welcomed Bob!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
bobguitkillerleft
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/21 11:44:46 (permalink)
Grem

Thanks very Much Too Grem,I already kinda Knew About  The VS-100 - VS 700 "Pre's n Stuff "though,but seriously Thanks!
again. 
Cheers
Bob

post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2013/09/21 17:59:28

bobguitkillerleft
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/21 11:52:15 (permalink)
Grem
bobguitkillerleft

Anyway to "all" whom especially answered THANK YOU.

Your more than welcomed Bob!!

Cool Bros![Hang Wasn't that,that awful Brit,but Pre "Brit Pop",as it became 2 B Known as a Genre band?.......
Think I meant to say Cakewalk Bro's but aye butt but?

Just Hit post Dawn Light HERE now!......ohharrgggh! again
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2013/09/21 16:48:30

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/22 00:40:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bobguitkillerleft 2013/09/23 18:40:26
The converters are the same in the 100 and 700 - I was lead to believe by Cakewalk.  The preamps are "based upon" the 700's, which means cheaper components I believe.

To my mind, there is hardly any difference between converters, until you get into the boutique league.  The ADDA chips are almost all the same in similarly priced units and only made by a couple of companies anyway.  So you won't find much to choose from there.  However, the analog stages can be different, and you won't find transformers etc. on most converters like you do Burl etc. (of course, you are talking about a minimum of $6000 for the burl).  But any converters built in the last 5 years so are more than respectable.

Preamps are much the same.  The Roland preamps are good.  But there is only so much sound you can squeeze from an IC unit and the differences are small - smaller than some imagine when they hear a night and day difference..  Once you get into discrete design and transformers (there is that again) you start hearing real differences.  If you are happy w/ your mics this is where I'd look.  But only if you have money for a good one.  And fortunately we are in the age of dropping prices for preamps.  The Gap, the ISA One, Warm Audio's warm preamp and their new Tone Beast all are about as good as it gets.  You can spend a thousand dollars more and find less difference between any of them and a typical interface preamp.  I particularly like the Tone Beast (tho it is $600 not $400) since you can change op-amps and switch transformers.  A solid preamp (based on the Warm) but w/ options.  And a gain and output, so you can distort it like the Gap.  A good ;-) review is out in Tape Op.

It sounds like you just don't have GAS (Gear Aquisiton Syndrome), but have maybe reached the point where you hear some subtle things between your work and stuff commercially done, and at some point you have to step up the hardware.  Or room.  The order of importance is closer the source, so it is room, mic, preamp (and comp and EQ), converter.  That is a good rule to follow.  If the room is decent and you are happy w/ your mics, I'd suggest a transformered preamp into your 100 to get to that next level of sound.

@
post edited by AT - 2013/09/22 00:42:54

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
bobguitkillerleft
Re: VS-100 AD DA Real Life Comparison to High End HW 2013/09/23 18:33:50 (permalink)
AT
The converters are the same in the 100 and 700 - I was lead to believe by Cakewalk.  The preamps are "based upon" the 700's, which means cheaper components I believe.

To my mind, there is hardly any difference between converters, until you get into the boutique league.  The ADDA chips are almost all the same in similarly priced units and only made by a couple of companies anyway.  So you won't find much to choose from there.  However, the analog stages can be different, and you won't find transformers etc. on most converters like you do Burl etc. (of course, you are talking about a minimum of $6000 for the burl).  But any converters built in the last 5 years so are more than respectable.

Preamps are much the same.  The Roland preamps are good.  But there is only so much sound you can squeeze from an IC unit and the differences are small - smaller than some imagine when they hear a night and day difference..  Once you get into discrete design and transformers (there is that again) you start hearing real differences.  If you are happy w/ your mics this is where I'd look.  But only if you have money for a good one.  And fortunately we are in the age of dropping prices for preamps.  The Gap, the ISA One, Warm Audio's warm preamp and their new Tone Beast all are about as good as it gets.  You can spend a thousand dollars more and find less difference between any of them and a typical interface preamp.  I particularly like the Tone Beast (tho it is $600 not $400) since you can change op-amps and switch transformers.  A solid preamp (based on the Warm) but w/ options.  And a gain and output, so you can distort it like the Gap.  A good ;-) review is out in Tape Op.

It sounds like you just don't have GAS (Gear Aquisiton Syndrome), but have maybe reached the point where you hear some subtle things between your work and stuff commercially done, and at some point you have to step up the hardware.  Or room.  The order of importance is closer the source, so it is room, mic, preamp (and comp and EQ), converter.  That is a good rule to follow.  If the room is decent and you are happy w/ your mics, I'd suggest a transformered preamp into your 100 to get to that next level of sound.

@

Def. mic's,and not sample rate for me,anyway[as I really learned a lot from a Jim Roseberry post-a little while ago]but also room,monitoring

Really excellent concise answer " AT " !!! Thank You.[dig your sig.-ain't THAT the truth]
Cheers
Bob
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2013/09/23 18:40:01

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1