VS100 as a control surface with cubase

Author
potbellysincebirth
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/03/26 00:12:52 (permalink)

VS100 as a control surface with cubase

Hi

needing help badly. i purchase Cubase 6 last weekend and having been trying frustratingly for the past week to set up my VS100's control surface to work within the program. ive contacked Cakewalk and Cubase but all these suggestion doesnt seem to work. Ive set it up a mackie control and some of the button dont work. I understand some of the buttons like the ACT, view etc buttons will not work. But even basic functions like trying to mute the second track doesnt work. For some unknown reason the controls ONLY work for track one. Can anyone help??  

4 Replies Related Threads

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:VS100 as a control surface with cubase 2011/03/26 20:03:46 (permalink)

But even basic functions like trying to mute the second track doesnt work. For some unknown reason the controls ONLY work for track one. Can anyone help??

The VS-100 can only operate one track at a time, and will only operate the track it is currently active in. Changing the active track in Cubase may not be enough to get the VS to follow. In Sonar changing a track on Screen will not have the VS follow it. We have to change something called the WAI position (Where Am I). Maybe Cubase has something similar?

Alternatively, we can change tracks with the "Track Buttons" on the VS. That changes the active track in Sonar, and the WAI position - allowing us to manage that track from the VS immediately. Does this work with Cubase? Does the active track change when you use the "track buttons" on the VS?

Sorry I don't use Cubase myself so I can't give you anything "certain" to check - but hopefully that gives you something to look into.

Good luck.

post edited by codamedia - 2011/03/28 22:37:47

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    potbellysincebirth
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:VS100 as a control surface with cubase 2011/03/26 20:25:26 (permalink)
    Hi

the problem is the track buttons dont work on the control surface. When i press it to move to the next track up or down, nothing happens. Even when i actually click on a track and make it active the VS100 doesnt follow where i want to go. The only buttons that work are the transport buttons (play, stop, rec) fast rewind and fast forward doesnt work either.
    codamedia
    Re:VS100 as a control surface with cubase 2011/03/27 10:12:45 (permalink)
    Got it!

I suspect Cubase works a lot like Sonar and has something similar to WAI (Where Am I). They might call it something different, but it likely exists. Moving from Track to Track in the software does not automatically force the VS to follow - WHY? Because if you have multiple Controllers, which one is suppose to follow? Once a track is selected in Sonar we need to "Set the WAI for the VS-100" - then the VS will control that track.

As for why the TRACK buttons don't work - I just can't help you. Maybe you should call Cakewalk (or Roland) and ask a support rep for assistance. I would think that a basic function like that should work with Cubase!

Out of curiosity did you have Cubase 5 (or an earlier version). If so, can you check to see if it works there. Maybe Cubase 6 does something differently? I doubt that would be the problem, but I tend to look at all possible solutions.
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/03/28 22:38:25

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    codamedia
    Re:VS100 as a control surface with cubase 2011/03/27 10:25:55 (permalink)
    I just did a little searching and not much is coming up, other than the fact that there are CUBASE/VS-100 bundles being sold. That would imply it should work better than it is in your situation.

When I glanced at some support issues - it appears as a Mackie Controller, almost everything on the right side of the VS-100 should work with other software. The only exceptions are "[VIEW], [MARKER] & the [|<] , [>|]" controls. They are not assigned by default and it is recommended you use the software (in your cause Cubase) to assign these where you want.

That would indicate to me that the TRACK buttons should be working. I suspect there is an error in the way Cubase is setup to work with the VS-100. I strongly suggest you use the Steinberg support system, and ask them to help you in setting up the integration with the Control Surface. Just tell them it's a VS-100, set to run in Mackie Control mode. They won't necessarily support the VS-100 - but they will support Mackie Control (or should).

Once again - good luck with this. Let us know if/when you get it running.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1