VS20 and Ableton Live

Author
tok2burn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 163
2011/03/19 18:40:02 (permalink)

VS20 and Ableton Live

I was hoping I could use VS20 as a control surface for Live.  Well, ok, it turns out that I can, sort of.

More specifically, though, I was hoping I could use track banks A,B,C,D to give me four banks of useable faders.  However, when I hit track group up and down (Guitar Tracks Pro is not running), the light stays on Group A, and it won't switch banks.  I don't see any other controls on the VS-20 for changing banks.

Is there any way to get the VS20 to change banks without running GTPro (I assume it will change track groups in that DAW), so I can get all four banks of faders to work with MIDI learn in Live?

Thanks,

Chuck

BTW, if one can change fader banks to use 32 faders in a DAW, the VS20 would be a heckuva control surface.  However, if not, the BR-800 is a better deal, since it can be used as a control surface with even more controls.  Except for me, the touch surface really sucks........ but the LCD screen is way better than the other BR series.....

Also, why Roland didn't include patch edit controls on the VS20 controller is beyond me.... it would have been so easy and not that much more real estate....  penny wise and pound foolish..
post edited by tok2burn - 2011/03/20 13:43:10

"Flamenco Chuck"
http://www.flamencochuck.com/

Intel i2600K, Win7 (x64), 8 GB Memory, Dual Radeon 6970's

2 Replies Related Threads

tok2burn
    Re:VS20 and Ableton Live 2011/03/21 12:50:44 (permalink)
    Update:  No luck.  The fader banks are only used for tracks number 9-16, etc. It would have been so neat if they had controlled midi effects via midi learn, since I don't need 8 tracks for live performance.

Not only that, but one could have assigned a bank to control the VS-20 patches as well......

I woould have purchased it in a NY second.  The BR-800 is much more versatile at only $100 more, and the control surface works just as well functionally... except for the touch surface....
    Oh well, maybe the next version....

Or the new Zoom R8, if it has the equivalent of Toneload...

"Flamenco Chuck"

tok2burn
    Re:VS20 and Ableton Live 2011/03/22 12:18:20 (permalink)
    UPDATE:  I did purchase it after all; after playing with it a lot, it turns out that it is a flexible and complete interface for Ableton Live 8.2.1 in conjunction with Live's keyboard/Midi assignment capability, in fact much better than the BR-800, at least for my purposes.  One just has to be a bit judicious in how one asssigns commands for his own application (I doubt if I'll even install Guitar Tracks, since I already have Sonar X1 Producer).  That said, Live is  my main go-to application for backing tracks.....

"Flamenco Chuck"

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1